Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australia set sights high for Sevens Series

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Australia set sights high for Sevens Series

Australia Sevens coach Michael O'Connor has selected not only his 12-man squad for the opening two events of the IRB Sevens World Series 2008/09 in Dubai and George, but also a larger group of players to work with for the whole season.

O'Connor has a wider squad of 18 players, seven of whom are contracted to Super 14 provinces, from which he will select from for the eight events on the IRB Sevens World Series and next year's Rugby World Cup Sevens in Dubai.

The seven contracted players are the Brumbies' Peter Betham and Afusipa Taumapeau, Aiden Toua and Scott Higginbotham of the Queensland Reds, Western Force duo Scott Daruda and Dane Haylett-Perry and Ben Mowen of the Waratahs.

"We wanted to put together a group from which we would draw 12 players for each tournament," explained O'Connor, who played both rugby union and rugby league for Australia.

"We need to get some continuity in terms of how we approach Sevens. You can't build on something if you chop and change the personnel all the time so we thought it best to keep the same guys through the entire campaign.

"From that perspective it was good to see the Super 14 provinces lend their support and give us access to two players from each of their squads."

Pride in the natonal jersey

O'Connor is also determined to see Australia climb the IRB Sevens World Series rankings and improve on their position of eighth overall in 2007/08 with a Cup semi final appearance in the Wellington leg their best result.

"The tournaments we play are very well run, they fill stadiums around the world, and every time our team is on display they wear the gold jumper," added O'Connor.

"There is pride in that jumper and the players have to understand that every time they go out on the field there are expectations and responsibility that go with that honour.

"We want and need to aspire to the highest level.

"I had the opportunity to represent Australia three times at the Hong Kong Sevens during my playing days and I still recall it with fond memories. I want these players to embrace this chance so they too can look back on it with pride and a sense of real achievement."

Australia have been drawn in a tough Pool A at the Emirates Airline Dubai Sevens on 28-29 November with defending champions New Zealand, Wales and Zimbabwe. A week later at the Emirates Airline South Africa Sevens in George they face the hosts, USA and Georgia in Pool B.

Australia squad for Dubai and George:

Willie Bishop, Will Brock, Benjamin Coridas, Drumayne Dayberg-Muir, Dane Haylett-Perry, Ed Jenkins, Richard Kingi, Luke Morahan, Ben Mowen, Brian Sefanaia, Aiden Toua, Stanley Hokafonu.

Read more...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The seven contracted players are the Brumbies' Peter Betham and Afusipa Taumapeau, Aiden Toua and Scott Higginbotham of the Queensland Reds, Western Force duo Scott Daruda and Dane Haylett-Perry and Ben Mowen of the Waratahs.

"From that perspective it was good to see the Super 14 provinces lend their support and give us access to two players from each of their squads."

Pride in the natonal jersey

So I wonder if the Tahs only allowed access to one or they didn' have two worth accessing...

Scott Higginbotham is also WA stock I believe.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Dane Haylett-Perry once travelled through Sydney airport on the way to the Junior World Cup therefore the Tahs claim him as one of theirs who has been unlawfully stolen by

vCash
    why does Australia often suck at 7's Rugby? Do we not take it seriously?

vCash
    Pretty much Jargs......The best team I've seen for 7's was the Commonwealth games when Shep played. It's generally been a bit of a junior playground with very little seriousness attached from my understanding.

Looks like Mick O'Connor has different ideas though, I think he's on the right track!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It generally rates around the Under 21's (now U20's) in terms of importance and is very rare to get access to any Super Rugby players.
    Personally I think it should fall between the Wallabies and Australia A's in selection and a system worked out to gain access to S14 Squads during the S14 season all the time. The Sevens season is generally in two or three Tournament blocks and on the event of a player being required back at their S14 team then a replacement flies out.
    Full marks to the respective opposition but it is a little embarrassing some of the nations we lose to.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    correct me if I'm wrong but the last time we won a leg was Brisbane in either 2002 or 2003 (2002 I think)

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Do NZ or SA cough up S14 players? I see it more as a developmental tool - maybe S14 players that would be sitting in reserves otherwise, along with some promising but uncontracted youngsters.

vCash
    Hmmmm, as I recall, the Australians did quite well up here in San Diego last year... I know they made the final 6, quite possibly the semi finals ( I think so!)... I remember a lady friend of mine had some pictures of the boys on the awards platform, maybe I should re-investigate, look her up,,

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    Do the Super 14 clubs get these players back at any time before May?

vCash
    yes, the tournaments and training camps only go for short periods, they might lose the players for 2 weeks at a time.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Onya Brockie! Hopefully a step toward getting a s14 contract.

The bloke with the silly name (Drumayne before you ask) is apparently a touch footy player. We take 7's very seriously you see...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Is he a Winger?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well, touch footy. He's not much of a tackler and he's quick....what do you think he is?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    well, touch footy. He's not much of a tackler and he's quick....what do you think he is?
    the new Campese

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast