Thread: Giteau vows to lift his game

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau vows to lift his game

Giteau vows to lift his game

November 10, 2008 MATT Giteau admits he probably didn't have his game face on in Saturday's scrappy win over Italy, but the classy playmaker has promised to have Australia firing again in this weekend's grudge match with England.
    Accepting he was “off'' in the 30-20 victory over the Azzurri, after being caught out by his early entry off the bench, Giteau suspects the entire Australian backline underestimated Italy - and almost paid the ultimate price.

“We created a lot of opportunities but maybe we didn't show the Italians as much respect as we needed to,'' Giteau said.

“At times, we showed some good progress. We made some good dents in them, but then we probably pushed the pass.

“We'd throw a silly ball, a 50-50 ball trying to get a result. We tried to score without building anything.

“But I think this week will be a different game. We won't disrespect England.''

Giteau acknowledged his ball security and option-taking let him down in an attacking display which fell short of his usual high standards.

There was nothing wrong his goalkicking, though, as he slotted a cool six from six for an important 17-point haul for the Wallabies.

“I'm always disappointed with certain aspects of my game,'' Giteau said.

“Obviously I was pretty happy with my goalkicking but, at times, my execution (with the ball in hand) was off and it does start with the half and five-eighth.

“So obviously we'll be looking forward to a better performance against England, although I thought ‘Burgo' (half-back Luke Burgess) went really well for me in particular at the weekend.''

Giteau said he found it difficult mentally coming off the bench in only the 12th minute as a replacement for starting five-eighth Berrick Barnes, who suffered a tour-ending knee injury.

“That was pretty tough. I wasn't expecting to get a real lot of game time at all,'' he said.

“But, having said that, it's still always a great honour to play for your country, so there's no real excuses.

“It was just one of those games where I was just that little bit off.''

He was not alone, though, with coach Robbie Deans critical of the entire backline's poor option-taking in attack, saying the Wallabies were guilty of looking for short cuts.

“(It was) not surprising. When you consider most of them haven't played for seven weeks. Some of them haven't played for three months,'' Deans said.

“Our instinctive decisions in contact will be better and we've got a fantastic opportunity coming.

“That's something we're really excited about, playing at Twickenham against England. It doesn't get any better.''

Despite the side's spluttering performance against Italy, Deans said he had no intentions of curbing his players' attacking instincts.

“They're out there. They know the feel, they know the chemistry. It's their game. If they believe in what they're doing, it's their choice,'' he said.

“And we'll just continue to work at getting better at what we do.”

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    or was he thinking too much about how he's dragging out something back here in Perth...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    the classy playmaker has promised to have Australia firing again in this weekend's grudge match with England.

So does that mean he will have resolved it by the weekend Happy

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I feel it will be resolved soon, but I fear that it will not be resolved in the 's favour .. me thinks he his heading home.

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    All smiles...Gits, John O'Neil and team got to meet the Queen at Windsor Castle. The reception was held to mark the Centenary of the first tour by an Australian Touring Rugby Team to Great Britain...

So who is at the ARU HQ talking with CEO Harris? As JON is on tour...perhaps he is micro managing the HQ from battleship Britinia...

vCash
    If Harris is looking for a ruling on how far he can go in making an offer he can do that with a minor functionary....if he's looking for a general idea of how Gits can be held onto for Oz rugby a board member could be the one....possibly Peter Cosgrove!

C'mon the

vCash
    General Peter Cosgrove would be a good mediator… alongside Peter McGrath.
    John O'Neil will be dealing directly with Giteau perhaps in London?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    a general idea....possibly Peter Cosgrove!
    Oh very good, you should see if SMH have an opening for a headline writer

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.