Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies to battle on as stars go down

vCash

Wallabies to battle on as stars go down

Wallabies to battle on as stars go down
    November 09, 2008 - 5:14pm
    Story by: AAP

Wallabies flyhalf Berrick Barnes has suffered a possible tour-ending knee injury against Italy in Padova.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is "unlikely" to send an SOS home to Australia for back-up troops after midfield generals Berrick Barnes and Timana Tahu suffered probable tour-ending injuries in the tension-filled Test victory over Italy.

Barnes (knee) and Tahu (hamstring) will have MRI scans when the Wallabies arrive in London on Monday, but Deans said he feared the worst for the pair, who had been two of the more influential performers in a scratchy display in Padova.

He suspected Barnes' injury was "significant", while Tahu has been dogged by hamstring problems throughout his career and, having missed most of NSW's Super 14 campaign this year after yet another breakdown, Deans admitted "it doesn't look good" for the dual international.

But after being impressed by the manner in which his Test novices lifted to pull out a 30-20 win over the Azzurri after the match was locked at 20-all with 10 minutes to go - Deans said he'd probably soldier on with a 32-man squad regardless.

While dissatisfied with his side's poor option taking in attack and concerned about the Wallabies' defence and discipline, Deans was thrilled with other aspects, most particularly the emergence of 20-year-old Quade Cooper and several other untried rookies.

The sidestepping Cooper proved the Wallabies' unlikely saviour, coming off the bench for the final quarter after Tahu broke down.

Cooper scored the match-winning try in spectacular fashion, leaving four Italian defenders in his wake with a dazzling 30-metre run in the 71st minute.

His key play, plus the equally composed display of 18-year-old backline utility James O'Connor - who became Australia's second-youngest Test player when thrust into the fullback role for the final nine minutes - proved to Deans they were both capable of deputising for Barnes as Matt Giteau's back-up five-eighth for the duration of the tour.

"It was a great workout for this group," Deans said.

"We were exposing a lot of players to Test rugby for the first time and their response from the 65th minute was superb - remarkable in the circumstance.

"The more we can develop that depth - because the reality is, we have been prone to injury and to form - we've now got some choice.

"If you had asked me a week ago if we lost Berrick, how would we be feeling with four Tests to go, we might have been a bit anxious.

"But now we've got some blokes who are lining up and showing that they're prepared to back themselves at this level."

Cooper, who said he had lived a dream playing for the Wallabies, described his try as "the cherry on the top".

It was for Deans, too, with Cooper, O'Connor and fellow Test debutant, prop Sekope Kepu, now locked in as Wallabies for life.

Loosehead Ben Alexander also proved a revelation in his first-ever starting professional rugby match - and first game of any sort since July.

In a welcome change, the Wallabies were awarded two scrum penalties during the match and also stole a stack of possession from the Azzurri lineout, leaving veteran flanker Phil Waugh deeply satisfied.

"We came into the game and trained all week knowing the Italian forward pack was one of their strengths and we had the confidence we could dominate that area," Waugh said.

"So it wasn't a surprise to us. It might have been to a few others."

Even with Barnes, Tahu and star winger Lote Tuqiri, who has yet to play this tour as he recovers from knee surgery, unlikely to be available, Deans said the Wallabies could enter next Saturday's showdown with England with optimism.

"That's something we're really excited about," Deans said. "Playing at Twickenham against England, it doesn't get any better."

I even got the right URL this time

rugby.com.au | Wallabies to battle on as stars go down

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Tahu gone won't make a difference for the wallabies. he was crap.

vCash
    Deans plan for this match, give Tahu another run, give Turner, Digby and ran on the wing, but foremost inure that O’Connor, Cooper and Kepu become Wallabies.

But another mission was see if the new young prop can start against a strong international pack and hack it. Well Ben Alexander not only coped but also dominated in the scrum. And Deans escaped a close loss but successfully ticked all the boxes in Padova… luckily....

:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Deans plan for this match, give Tahu another run, give Turner, Digby and ran on the wing, but foremost inure that O’Connor, Cooper and Kepu become Wallabies.
    call me crazy but i tend to think the formost plan would be to insure that the wallabies won the match!

vCash
    I'm not actually fussed about Tahupoo.

But BERRICK! That has upset me greatly. He should be wearing about 20 layers of bubble wrap next game he plays. We NEED him against the poms. Not pleased at all...

I say a SOS (not SOSE Elf ) is in order. Who do you reckon?

If only Stanner's wasn't injured

I am however very happy about Alexander. What a legend. Robbie certainly picked the diamond of out the dust here. No s14 starts, 6 (?) games off the bench and he's all but guarenteed a spot next weekend! At last, a front rower who causes smiles

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Would hardly call Tahu a "Star"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Why cant they just call it Social Studies, then I would know what they were talking about

vCash
    Copy and paste job. Thought everyone else would like to share in my disbelief

Elf- OK. It's now Social Studies. But that takes so much LONGER to type! S&E? Does that work? It's even faster than SOSE hehe

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, wasn't $400k/yr for Tahu a bang down bargain for the ARU - he has played what, maybe ten games total since coming from league and has a persistent hammie problem that apparently isn't sorted by teaching him to use his bum when running. When are they going to make them earn the spot?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    S&E? Does that work?
    sounds like something Burgs might get up to in the lonely sticks

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Steak and egg?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Well, wasn't $400k/yr for Tahu a bang down bargain for the ARU - he has played what, maybe ten games total since coming from league and has a persistent hammie problem that apparently isn't sorted by teaching him to use his bum when running. When are they going to make them earn the spot?
    Could not agree more, look at Ryan Cross, had to work to earn his place and turns in one good performance after another and is hungry for his spot.

vCash
    but for some unexplained reason can't crack it for a place.......OK OK Stirling Mortlock has a lot to do with Ryan's lack of minutes, but seriously, Stirlo hasn't been setting the World alight lately and moving him to 12 isn't going to hurt as much as filling the 12 with TimTam!

I'd like to see who wrote this tripe, because I gave up at the end of the second paragraph, when Tahu was described as both a 'general' and an 'influential performer'

I guess he had an influence on the match, it just wasn't positive!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

I guess he had an influence on the match, it just wasn't positive!
    Probably won't be a fan of the bloke who wrote THIS either then- "The Tahu Woe is Me Variety Show"

TIMANA Tahu couldn't disguise his anguish after having his worst fears realised with his spring tour of Europe over almost before it began.

“I feel like going to slit my wrists at the moment,'' Tahu said after learning he'd torn a hamstring for the umpteenth time in his career during Australia's costly Test win over Italy on Saturday.
    Yeah mate, it sucks, but jeez, OTT much?

vCash
    actually that article has a strangely EMO solution to the problem!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast