Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: $50m stadium overhaul proposed for Members Equity Stadium

vCash
    If I was Greg Harris, I'd be looking long and hard at the $100 Million for 32000 seats option...how long would it take to make that happen if the dough was raised straight away......also, what works would be done to the surface immediately (remember the puddle at the north end of the ground during the ARC) the scoreboard (what scoreboard) and a bunch of other stuff.

It appears I'm one of the "gutless Toothless tigers" of whom you speak Burgs. It's time for you to put up or shut up, tell us of this other proposal which provides a brand new, centrally located 35,000 seat stadium for money the government's willing to spend quick. I've got a meeting with Greg Harris on Wednesday, if you've got anything valuable to add to it I want you there!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Didn't realise you were on the RWA or Glory Board GIGS?
    I wasn't talking of community support or passion but, if you wish to take offence then that is your call mate, none was intended.
    There is nothing surer the day the Force plays its first match in whatever the venue is, that will be the capacity for the next 10-15 years.
    It isn’t an issue of where they play for the next two years, after the amount of BS that’s gone into squeezing this piddle out of them why does everyone suddenly think they will do all these wonderful upgrades on time.
    To still be trying to placate the community with a tokenistic stadium in the current climate is foolish anyway, they should do what they originally set out to and put it on the cooler until the community can afford the right venue for the task.
    For the Force to go for this option is to sell themselves and the WA community short by a long shot.
    For those who are happy for it to go ahead, great I hope you are still happy when you are watching it from home or the local in 2018 because your kids have once again pinched your members pass because they can't get up the 10,000 person waiting list.
    It is the wrong option, at the wrong venue, at the wrong time.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    and while the Force continue to lose members and crowds at Subi?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Apprentice
    vCash
    we got to get out of subi 22500 good enough for me sell outs every week good viewing easy enough to added another 3000 seats if need be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Didn't realise you were on the RWA or Glory Board GIGS?
    To be fair, those comments were not attributed to either the board of RugbyWA or the Glory but to Nick Catania. He's just doing his job trying to attract funding to TOV. Whether 32,000 seats fro $100m is a real possibility who knows? But if anyone can get that commitment from government, as opposed to 22,500 now and 32000 maybe later, I'd accept it in a heartbeat. They can deal with the cost blow-outs later, just like every other infrastructure project.

AFAIK RugbyWA has not put it's backing to any particular proposal so far, apart from the now apparently defunct Multi Purpose (yeah right!) AFL Stadium. Since it seems that is not going to get a run under the current government RWA has released statements suggesting it's now appropriate to revisit the dedicated rectangular stadium option.

I imagine RugbyWA have met with the government, as they were supposed to by now, to and put their case. But I don't know what that was. Do you Burgs?

You also suggested that if the money for a new rectangle is not immediately available then all options should be shelved until they become affordable. I'm guessing that was not a serious suggestion. But just in case, what do you suggest RWA should do to stem the still bleeding memberships and attendances that may jeopardise the viability of the team, or maybe even force them to relocate? They can't MAKE the government do what they would like. Neither Chiselhead nor anyone else seems to have attracted a white knight entrepreneur to fund a private equity build. So should they just sit on their hands?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I understand where Burgs is coming from but can't agree with taking a hard line stance on the issue. If you take all of the emotion and passion out of the argument the crux of the matter is financial justification and no matter how you paint it we can't justify the 35k seater stadium option based on our current figures. Yes there is the argument for investing in the future but in the current economic environment it would be hard to get that through where other infrastructure and welfare projects would provide greater outcomes for the general population.

I say accept the deal and let our team thrive. We can fight for a bigger stadium at a more appropriate time.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    my thought on the matter is simple - surely the biggest motivator to get new facilities is by having sell-out crowds.
    having a half full Subi does nothing for RWA's clout, however having sellout crowds at MES may speak volumes!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Unfortunately zimeric, you have applied logic to the issue.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    This is not the only option, just the gutless cop out of toothless tigers.
    Given that the only people who have said anything about ‘supporting’ this option are Nick Cantania (and it’s his job to get $$ directed at TOV so it’s not all that toothless and/or gutless on his part) and the majority of posters on the thread to date, it’s fair enough this is interpreted to mean those people. Bit hard to argue it means RWA/Perth Glory when they haven’t been mentioned at all to date.

But speaking of RWA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigs
    . I've got a meeting with Greg Harris on Wednesday, if you've got anything valuable to add to it I want you there!
    Since the only people available for this meeting are the gutless/toothless/shortsighted ones, you better fill us in on the grand plan about how we’re going to get the government to build a brand new rectangular stadium BEFORE they build a new AFL one.

It’s all but guaranteed that when someone does decide to build a new stadium, it will be a large oval ground for AFL (and not without reason, Subi’s pretty crap, even for AFL games). So we can reasonably expect rectangular stadiums to next appear on the agenda in about 15 years- 5 years to get ANY stadium back on the agenda and 10+ years to plan/build. Perhaps this is why the idea of having expanded MES for 10-15 years doesn’t bother me so much- best as I can tell, it’s that or Subi- or the Melbourne , touch wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigs
    If I was Greg Harris, I'd be looking long and hard at the $100 Million for 32000 seats option...how long would it take to make that happen if the dough was raised straight away......also, what works would be done to the surface immediately (remember the puddle at the north end of the ground during the ARC) the scoreboard (what scoreboard) and a bunch of other stuff.
    Definitely, I’d also be interested in seeing what can be done to get as close to this(grandstand + one end? maybe) ASAP. Dare I say, a good starting point when sitting down with the government at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta
    But just in case, what do you suggest RWA should do to stem the still bleeding memberships and attendances that may jeopardise the viability of the team, or maybe even force them to relocate? They can't MAKE the government do what they would like. Neither Chiselhead nor anyone else seems to have attracted a white knight entrepreneur to fund a private equity build. So should they just sit on their hands?
    Apparently, yes.

All I know is the word ‘viability’ gets bandied about (by people who I don’t fancy would use it lightly) a little too much for me to feel comfortable with the ‘wait it out until someone builds mini-suncorp for us’ approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimeric
    my thought on the matter is simple - surely the biggest motivator to get new facilities is by having sell-out crowds.
    having a half full Subi does nothing for RWA's clout, however having sellout crowds at MES may speak volumes!
    Exactly right- dwindling crowds at Subi will never form an economic case for a new rectangular stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Unfortunately zimeric, you have applied logic to the issue.
    are you not worried about your kids stealing your membership??

vCash
    What????????????

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    For those who are happy for it to go ahead, great I hope you are still happy when you are watching it from home or the local in 2018 because your kids have once again pinched your members pass
    apparently our kids are going to steal our memberships

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I've got a meeting with Greg Harris on Wednesday, if you've got anything valuable to add to it I want you there!
    Cool - but where's the press release on this?

Western Force Boss to meet with "We Need Corners" Chair.
    Force CEO Greg Harris will discuss all things rectangual with "We Need Corners" chair, GIGS20 this coming Wednesday.

Expected topics to be covered are ....

A full report on the meeting will be published on the We Need Corners website We Need Corners - A Rectangular Stadium For Perth!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    The logic I was referring to was the concept that a full stadium would be the catalyst for building a bigger more appropriate stadium sometime within the next generation.

The AFL has been filling Subi for years and yet they are still trying to get their hands on something that fits their needs.

WA has a sad history of buggering up major infrastructure projects.
    Perry Lakes was built for the Empire Games. Great. It should have been built for the future as well. The solution to fix Perry lakes is to flatten it and sell the land off.

Posted via space

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post

The AFL has been filling Subi for years and yet they are still trying to get their hands on something that fits their needs.
    The last upgrade for Subi was designed by the WAFC and when they ran out of money they went cap in hand to the State Government. With your history of buggered projects Subi makes that list as it was built for what they needed at the time, not for the future

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast