Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Premier all but kills hope for new stadium

vCash
    I recently attended at PD sessions in Perth at DSR (as my position is funded by them) and we were briefed by Ronnie Hurst who leads the Major Stadia Taskforce for DSR on the new stadium issue. Basically they are still pushing the government for a brand new stadium at Kitchener due to lots of restrictions with gradual rebuilds and the like e.g. need to realign roberts road etc if go down that path. They are constantly in talks with government etc so situation is far from settled. As he put it it took the previous government almost 18 months to make a decision on the new stadium after the stadium taskforce report was received by them so would expect similiar from new government. Unfortunately no mention of rectangle stadium and wasnt in the right forum to bring it up.

Also did a tour of new athletics and basketball stadiums at AK Reserve with two project officers from DSR looking after it. I managed to drill them about rugby stadium and basically proposed site is dead due to cost to bring up to EPA standards etc. They indicated basically still going through planning process in regards to rugby but are looking at McGillvray Oval as admin centre with additional training facilities - where they didnt mention but would presume around the same area.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    i moved this comment here from another non-relevant thread
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    TOCC do stadiums have pecking orders? Now I sound likes jargs...
    obviously i was speaking metaphorically...

but in reality they do have pecking orders, the pecking order of where players would prefer to play and the pecking order of where fans would rather watch a match..

stop getting pissy at me, just deal with the fact that Skilled Park is a better stadium for retangular sport, you sit closer to the action, the actual stadium is retangular, the roof covers most of the crowd, there is better transport(rail station and bus station), the facilities are modern and based on the highly succesfull Suncorp Stadium, on top of that it creates a better atmosphere since the roof keeps in and rebounds the noise and all the fans are closer together due to the configuration of the stadium.

Canberra stadium is and always will be a converted oval..

vCash
    I can't rate Suncorp enough after going there this year

I am planning to travel to the State of Origin game there next year, should be better when it is ACTUALLY full

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

I am planning to travel to the State of Origin game there next year, should be better when it is ACTUALLY full
    unfortunately the Reds games dont do the stadium any justice, they dont even get it half full these days.

State of Origin, or a Wallabies match is probably the best time you could go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

I'll get the 'Subi Experience' -at Docklands.

Nice little dig there Jargs.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    [QUOTE=jargan83;177078]I can't rate Suncorp enough after going there this year[/QUOTE

a great ground for test matches........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2