Thread: Giteau's nirvana smells like team spirit

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau's nirvana smells like team spirit

Giteau's nirvana smells like team spirit

By Bret Harris
    October 25, 2008 AT the start of the international season Matt Giteau was widely regarded as the most individually brilliant player in the Australian squad.
    Now Giteau is arguably the Wallabies' most conscientious team player.
    Giteau's game has changed more than any other player following the arrival of coach Robbie Deans.
    A big part of the transformation was Giteau's move from inside centre to five-eighth, which involved greater decision-making and play-making responsibilities.
    The quick-stepping Kid Dynamite has evolved into an astute tactician, combining instinct and creativity.
    "I've really enjoyed it," Giteau said. "It's been very challenging. It's been a big year for me. I've learnt a lot.
    "You always have a team focus whenever you play, but I think at five-eighth you've really got to have that.
    "How you want to play. Try to control the game. The speed of the game. If you want to quicken it up or keep the ball in play. Things like that. You've just always got to be thinking.
    "With kicking as well. There's a lot more kicking to do at five-eighth than I would have done normally.
    "They are some of the challenges, but ones that I've really enjoyed. It feels like my first year. I feel that fresh. I feel that good because it's been challenging and a new experience."
    A reflection of the change in Giteau's play can be found in his try-assist and try-scoring statistics.
    In his first 51 Tests, Giteau scored 20 tries, but he has only scored one try in nine Tests this year.
    While Giteau is not scoring tries at the rate that he used to, he is creating more five-pointers than ever before.
    Giteau has had nine try assists this year compared to only two in five Tests at the 2007 World Cup in France. The next highest are winger Lote Tuqiri and full-back Adam Ashley-Cooper with just two each.
    "With the position you've got to have a less selfish focus on things," Giteau said.
    "When I was inside centre I looked to run a lot more whereas now I'm still running, but you've got to be more aware of what's outside you.
    "With the way we are playing I'm involved quite heavily and with that I suppose assists are going to come."
    Giteau has used a variety of skills to create tries for his team-mates.
    The side-step and flick pass; the kick-pass to the wing, which Deans brought from Christchurch, and Giteau's own long pass, which finds its target like a heat-seeking missile.
    There is an old saying that you should let the ball do the work and that's exactly what Giteau does.
    Instead of passing to his support, Giteau fires the ball into space, which draws the recipient through the gap. It's rugby's version of a smart bomb.
    "You look at a guy like (former Wallabies five-eighth) Steve Larkham," Giteau said.
    "Whenever he threw the ball, he wouldn't throw it to a guy, he would throw it to the space where he wants that guy.
    "That's something I try to focus on. Throwing the ball at space."
    Giteau would be the first to admit he is not the finished article as a five-eighth and aspects of his game slip from time to time.
    But Deans has invested much in Giteau as his chief playmaker and he is pleased with his progress so far.
    "He has done some great stuff. He has done some stuff that has frustrated him, but he's on a continuum," Deans said.
    "He's getting better and he will continue to get better.
    "Obviously, it's a role he doesn't have a lot of background in so the sooner he feels totally comfortable and at ease in that, the sooner he is able to push on and master it."
    Does Giteau ever long for those carefree days in the midfield? "Not really. When one of the centres is scoring a lot of tries you want to get out there. I'm enjoying the challenges of five-eighth. I like it there."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I wonder how much it's helped that the coach was a back??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.