Page 234 of 323 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 244 284 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 4835

Thread: What makes you smile?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Q. What is the collective noun for a group of AFL drug cheats?

A. a Hird

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The claim by the players' union that the players had done nothing wrong as the drugs were administered by the club:

No, an athlete is responsible for what they have in their bodies. If your club doctor gives you protein shakes, vitamin shots, etc, check to make sure you know what is in them, as it's your livelihood that's at risk.

Or are the Bombers players saying the doctors mickey-finned them? Repeatedly, over a course of years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    another example here would be Warnie. with the "mum gave it to me" defence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

Or are the Bombers players saying the doctors mickey-finned them? Repeatedly, over a course of years.
    in which case they should sue the hell out of all involved!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    in which case they should sue the hell out of all involved!
    That's the thing. The players have dug themselves into a hole to some extent by not cooperating and withholding information from ASADA at the inquiry (s) - on advice from their club, I'd wager. But really how would they know what was actually being injected? They rely on the information being given by the club - "don't worry, it's totally legit, boys". When I go for my yearly flu injection, I take the quack's word that it is actually Fluvax in the syringe. But how would I know different anyhoo? I do feel some sympathy for the players. I have none for Essendon FC and absolutely none for Hird.
    James Hird has continually put himself ahead of his players and, to some extent the football club. He was the one who dragged the thing unnecessarily through the courts. He engaged the "sports scientist". He demended to be reinstated as coach. For him to come out now and shout "miscarriage of justice" beggars belief. He was the one who caused it to happen. He is a total disgrace and should crawl away somewhere.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    However, WADA and the ASADA state that the athlete is responsible for what is in their bodies. I understand that if they are being given injections by the club doctor they would probably think it must be OK, but the anti-doping code doesn't include a defence of negligence regarding what supplements you take. They should ask the doctor what's in the injection and check their list of banned substances (I know, sounds like a hassle, but this is what every other professional athlete who undergoes drug testing does - why should team sports players have a get-out?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    why should team sports players have a get-out?)
    Well the fact is they do, in some circumstances, as with the Cronulla players. They cooperated, plead guilty and got concessions because of that. For all the criticism leveled at Dave Smith at the time, he and the NRL handled the situation well by letting the ASADA investigation follow due process with no attempt at running interference. I suppose that's why WADA were happy with the outcome.

Demetriou/the AFL, Essendon and Co tried from day 1 to cover up, not cooperate, attempt to cut behind closed door deals and circumvent the rules.

Also, if IIRC, the program only lasted a few weeks at Cronulla before the club doctor demanded it stop and that the "sports scientist" be shown the door. The Essendon program lasted a season, ignored the club doctors reservations and involved thousands of injections.

I feel some sympathy for the Essendon players, but I think the penalties HAD to stand for sure.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I feel some sympathy for the Essendon players, but I think the penalties HAD to stand for sure.
    I don't. Not one bit.

Accoring to the information that has come out in the past 24 hours apparently the players themselves made a group decision to stonewall ASADA (I'll attempt track it down later, think it was on The Age website if you want to go hunting for it).

Theres also the ASADA hotline for athletes to check if a substance is banned or not. How hard is it do a quick google search on your phone these days? At the end of the day the athelete is responsible for everything that goes into the body be it from a shady sports scientist or the team doctor, and the team doctor at Essendon had massive concerns over the supplement program being undertaken from day 1.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I don't. Not one bit.

Accoring to the information that has come out in the past 24 hours apparently the players themselves made a group decision to stonewall ASADA.
    Didn't see that. If that's so, then the bit of symapathy I had for them has evaporated.

vCash
    No sympathy at all.

Taken to a back room clinic & made to sign a NDA before they were injected with something.

Yeah... Nothing sus about that at all. If you didn't start asking questions at that point, then you're a fucking fool

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    ...and this is making you smile?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Sport being played by cleaner athletes makes me smile

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Maybe a mod could move it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    No sympathy at all.

Taken to a back room clinic & made to sign a NDA before they were injected with something.

Yeah... Nothing sus about that at all. If you didn't start asking questions at that point, then you're a fucking fool
    Heard Terry Wallace on radio today. He said after reading the WADA report overnight, and having previously given the benefit of the doubt, he could form no other opinion than that the players, or some of them at least were knowingly complicit. Had no sympathy for anyone involved. Apparently there are some pretty damning text messages between players to players and players to Dank.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Maybe a mod could move it?
    no mod(or ref) can move my smile