Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Forceful Stadium Demands

vCash

Forceful Stadium Demands

From today's Sunday Times (for our interstate friends, or those who just don't want to walk to the paper shop):

By Nick Taylor

Western Force will struggle to survive unless it gets a suitable rectangular stadium, the WA goverment will be told this week.
    Senior Force exectutives will push new sports minister Terry Waldron for answers about an upgrade to Members Equity Stadium when they have their first formal meeting on Wednesday.
    Force supporters, members and sponsors have expressed growing dissatisfaction with Subiaco Oval.
    Crowds have dropped because ground and lower level seating is too far from the pitch.
    The previous government promised $25 million towards an upgrade when the bid was made to get a Super 14 team to Perth.
    But it reneged, saying the cash had been swallowed up in the $1.1 billion needed for the new multi-purpose Subiaco stadium.
    With the Subiaco plan now in doubt, the government will be asked for the $25 million to be used for it's originally promised purpose.
    That amount would be25-30 percent of the cost of upgrading MES to a 25,000 seat stadium, with 2000 corporate seats.
    A push for the upgrade has also come from the Town of Vincent, which sent a letter to Waldron pushing it's case last week.
    The council, which has set aside $35,000 to investigate an upgrade, estimated two years ago that it could be built for $64 million. It now says it cuold cost $80 million, but other estimates say it could be ask high as $100 million.
    In an open letter to Force members, RugbyWA CEO Greg Harris said "...a crucial element in the sucessful long term viability of the Emirates Western Force is securing a rectangular stadium to host out games. We are continuing to lobby the government and the Rugby WA board has confirmed its support for an upgrade to MES"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It's a long term investment in building this new stadium, hopefully bringing back crowds and membership renewals, i dont quite understand why the worry about cost, unless the suggested $100m could be distributed to other government goals.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    And in the front part of the paper:

Support grows for rebuilding stadium

Strong support is building with cabinet to kick the proposed $1.1 billion outdoor stadium out of bounds.
    Nationals leader Brendon Grylls said this week he would argue for the government to upgrade Subiaco Oval instead of building a new venue.
    Cost differences between the options were too great to ignore, he said.
    AFL boss Andrew Demetriou is due in Perth on Friday to hold urgent talks with Premier Colin Barnett and Sports Minister Terry Waldron about the stalled project. (Typists note: here's hoping they're not familiar with the Tahman position)
    Mr Demitriou is expected to argue strongly for a new stadium in WA. But he may be wasting his time.
    "I beleive we can develop a stadium jsut as good as building a new one" Mr Grylls said. "When it comes to Cabinet, that's the point I will make.
    (When) the WAFC made the pitch to me (about redevelopment of Subi) the cost of $460 million, versus $1 billion."
    "I understand that some people want a new stadium. A new stadium holds various advantages, but requires more money."
    But members of a taskforce which invesitgated various stadium proposals over two years have disputed claims that rebuilding Subi would costs half as much as a new facility.
    They told The Sunday Times this week that improving Subiaco from 45,000 seats to 55,000- 5000 fewer than the new stadium- would cost $641 million.
    This excluded costs associated with land resumption and transport issues.
    A major upgrade of Subiaco would not accomodate other sports and a further $456 million would be needed for a rectangular stadium in WA.
    Mr Waldron would not give advance details of his meeting with Mr Demitriou, but said costings of both proposals were being reviewed.
    Mr Waldron said he had an open mind about building a new stadium, despite pressure from the new government to cut costs.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    $456 million for a new rectangular stadium?

vCash
    $456 Million for a brand spanking 35,000 seater supposedly.

That of course ignores the figure of $80-$100 Million to bring MES up to scratch for short-medium term

vCash
    The previous government promised $25 million towards an upgrade when the bid was made to get a Super 14 team to Perth.
    PROMISED damnit!

build me a rectangluar stadium!

well gayFL won't die if they stay at subi. rugby will (or if they end up in another bad stadium they will again). get your priorities right government.

colin barnett is not completely pro-AFL isnt he? there is hope...

im going to blast off another bunch of emails. now is the time i think.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    PROMISED damnit!

build me a rectangluar stadium!

well gayFL won't die if they stay at subi. rugby will (or if they end up in another bad stadium they will again). get your priorities right government.

colin barnett is not completely pro-AFL isnt he? there is hope...

im going to blast off another bunch of emails. now is the time i think.
    Good morning Robyn,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    $456 million for a new rectangular stadium?
    What was the term used Swee...ESCALATION

vCash
    that would be the explanation for melbourne, the central coast and gold coasts building 25-30k seaters for on $200-$250 million but why we can't, yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    that would be the explanation for melbourne, the central coast and gold coasts building 25-30k seaters for on $200-$250 million but why we can't, yes.
    One simple extended answer - materials.

WA being located far away from the two producing blast furnaces in Australia for steelmaking would have increased costs in transportation of materials for the construction of the stadium. Even a concrete jungle like the three tier stand at subi uses a heap of steel to support the structure.

Maybe I should approach my current employer about a potential large contract to fill in WA and use any chance for mediation and scoping studies for myself to attend Force games paid for by the company.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    Good morning Robyn,
    good morning

im going crazy. must almost be exam time.

that would have to be the worst time to tell me that you arent building a rectangular stadium government, so don't try it!!! and don't break promises ever

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    And in the front part of the paper:

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou is due in Perth on Friday to hold urgent talks with Premier Colin Barnett and Sports Minister Terry Waldron about the stalled project. (Typists note: here's hoping they're not familiar with the Tahman position)
    Mr Demitriou is expected to argue strongly for a new stadium in WA. But he may be wasting his time.
    If the AFL is truely desperate for a new stadium maybe they should get together with its stakeholders and the two clubs and build it themselves. Cmon Mr Barnett send the bloke with the big chocko name home with his tail between his legs

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    (When) the WAFC made the pitch to me (about redevelopment of Subi) the cost of $460 million, versus $1 billion."

They told The Sunday Times this week that improving Subiaco from 45,000 seats to 55,000- 5000 fewer than the new stadium- would cost $641 million.
    This excluded costs associated with land resumption and transport issues.
    A major upgrade of Subiaco would not accomodate other sports and a further $456 million would be needed for a rectangular stadium in WA.
    So the original was $1.1 billion for 1 stadium, whereas the lower bit is $1.1 billion for 2 stadiums? 2 Stadiums = WIN!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Thank U Mr Taylor for such a clear concise article - Mr Harris was also very clear and concise in his list of wants and needs as well.

Wonderful to see the journos supporting RugbyWa in their push to get a stadium - and we still have the fans petition to be tabled in parliament which should nudge the whole funding issue over the line.

Next question - can Mr Buswell screw some of the rectangular funding out of Rudd - chair sniffer or no - he'd earn my undying respect as an overburdened tax payer.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Next question - can Mr Buswell screw some of the rectangular funding out of Rudd - chair sniffer or no - he'd earn my undying respect as an overburdened tax payer.[/QUOTE]

TQ1, you have an intricate understanding of politics; but you seem just a little cynical..

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast