Thread: SA Rugby to investigate Watson

vCash

SA Rugby to investigate Watson

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...749893649.html

The South African Rugby Union will meet on Monday to discuss statements attributed to Springbok flanker Luke Watson regarding South African rugby, his teammates and the national jersey.

"If the reports are accurate this is a very serious matter indeed," Andy Marinos, SA Rugby's manager of national teams and acting managing director, said in an official news release on Sunday.

"But we can't pre-judge the matter on the strength of media reports and we can make no definitive statement until we have in our hands what evidence there may be."

Watson was quoted in an article on website rugby365.com as saying that "the problem with SA Rugby is that it is controlled by Dutchmen (Afrikaans-speaking white South Africans)".

He said the "bigger picture" kept him from vomiting on the Springbok jersey and that "the men who sit on my left and right of me in the change room despise me for who I am".

"We need to see the bigger picture and realise that the here and now is not just the here and now, but the here and now only exists because of those who went before us and because of those who are still to come," he was quoted as saying during a rugby festival at the University of Cape Town earlier this month.

"Me having to wear the Springbok jersey, to keep myself from vomiting on it, because there is a bigger picture, because men and women have bled for me to get there."

Watson's father Cheeky was an outspoken anti-racism activist during the apartheid era who declined the opportunity to participate in Springbok trials as a promising player because of his convictions and has made no secret of his displeasure with the game's current administration.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    thats ok, i want to vomit on the saffer jersey as well

vCash
    I think he should just have the balls to tell them where to stick their jumper like his dad

C'mon the

vCash
    hes ruined his rugby career right there
    and he didnt even want to play for the boks in the first place
    so i dont care if he leaves
    and if anyone want to know why he always gets picked for the squad, its because hes now classified as a black person because of his fathers involvement in the government

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    So he's obviously shot himself in the foot for future Springbok, sorry, Protea selection but when you read his speech in context, well, good on him I say. Just saying how it is in his view.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    sorry, Protea selection
    Poor little flowers

Just goes to show the problems with saffer rugby off the pitch. I'm sure that they will sweep it all under the rug. Force him to apologise or they won't pick him

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Watson: 'I won't play for the Boks again'

Controversial loose forward Luke Watson has declared that he will never again play for a team that has the Springbok as its emblem.

Speaking to the media, after his disciplinary hearing at the South African Rugby Union in Cape Town on Tuesday was dismissed on a technicality, Watson said he would be available to play for South Africa again, but only under an emblem that represents "the entire country".

Watson said would not be prepared to play in a Springbok jersey again, but he also said he would not be moving overseas to further his career.
    "In terms of my principles I won't be able to play under the Springbok as national emblem. If there is a national emblem that represents everybody, I will play for South Africa with pride, honour and dignity."

Full article at http://www.rugby365.com/all_news/sa/news/1297000.htm

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps the Tahs will snap him up, they're looking for a big Flanker.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah..then he gets to wear a jersey with a flower on it as well.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    There seem to be plenty of actual black players who are proud to play under their native pogo stick antelope.
    I think he is trying to make himself out to be his father and has missed the mark on this one.
    However, they seem to have reached a happy status, he never wants to play and they never want to pick him. Case closed.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.