Thread: Mitchell hard but fair

vCash

Mitchell hard but fair

Mitchell hard but fair

By Justin Chadwick

October 06, 2008 JOHN Mitchell admits he may come across a tad harsh at times but the Western Force coach has dismissed speculation his hard-at-it style has created player unrest at the Super 14 rugby franchise.

Numerous reports over the past month have suggested star players, including captain Nathan Sharpe and vice-captain Matt Giteau, were at odds with Mitchell and had prepared a dossier of their complaints to present to the club's board.

Mitchell admitted there would always be some form of friction within the club but said reports of a player-coach rift were wide of the mark.

“I think there's always player-coach conflict in any sporting group, it's just how you manage that conflict within,” Mitchell said.

“There's always paper speculation I guess and some of it’s truthful and some of it's rubbish but certainly I've received no official feedback (from the players or the board) in this area.

“I guess we all as an organisation have to evolve, that includes myself, the player group and the administration, to move the club forward going into a new campaign.

“We always have a player review process at the end (of the season) and very frank, honest and open communication with my captain and my vice-captain.

“That's just normal process, that will happen again this year.

“It's just business as usual really.”

Prop AJ Whalley said he was unaware of any player discontent.

“Mitch is a good coach,” Whalley said.

“He's a hard coach but that's how he works.

“I've been here for three years now and I don't have an issue with him.”

Meanwhile, the Force are on the verge of signing former Brumbies Peter Playford and Richard Stanford.

The Force started pre-season training today and a club spokesman confirmed Playford, a 28-year-old winger, and Stanford, a 22-year-old lock, were expected to put pen to paper within days.

Mitchell said they were still on the lookout for a marquee international player after failing to lure Springboks and Sharks hooker Bismarck Du Plessis last month.

“The market place at the moment is being looked at and clearly tight head is certainly an area we'd like to look at,” Mitchell said.

“If that person doesn't surface ... then we won't go and fill it (the international spot) just for the sake of it.”

AAP

Mitchell hard but fair - Rugby - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    thats what you would want in a coach!
    you wouldnt want them to be soft coz then u will be going no where

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    “I've been here for three years now and I don't have an issue with him.”
    well AJ isnt going! its ok everyone... panic is over...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch
    “We always have a player review process at the end (of the season) and very frank, honest and open communication with my captain and my vice-captain.
    so the first rumours were about nathan sharpe and matt giteau, our captain and vice captain, who kind-of recently had a frank, honest and open communication with the coach.

what. on. earth.

im taking the highschool attitude to rumours... just ignore it, they will move onto someone elses pointless gossip soon enough

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry