Thread: Tuqiri doubt could let in bolter

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tuqiri doubt could let in bolter

Tuqiri doubt could let in bolter

Rupert Guinness | September 22, 2008

THE Wallabies squad for the end of season tour to Hong Kong and Europe could include an extra player when it is announced tomorrow.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said the prospect of naming a 34-player squad was being considered by the selectors, the Australian Rugby Union and himself.

However, Deans stressed that the final squad number of 33 or 34 players would also hinge on winger Lote Tuqiri's availability after last week's knee operation.

Deans and his selectors - Wallabies assistant coaches Jim Williams and Michael Foley - plan to settle on the line-up and submit it to the ARU for approval today.

"In my head I am pretty clear now, but I don't know what the other boys are saying," Deans said after Sydney University beat Randwick in the Shute Shield grand final.

Deans, who was at Concord Oval on Saturday, was tight-lipped about the touring party make-up, but revealed there may be an extra player.

"We have had some discussions around taking 34," he said. "The organisation [the ARU] is agreeable to considering 34. They won't necessarily [approve] that, but they are agreeable to contemplating it.

"Part of that is going to revolve around Lote and his fitness. If he is not fit and can't tour well, we will take 33."

Deans would not say whether a forward or back would get the spare ticket, but indications are that it would be a back to cover for Tuqiri - even if he does make the tour.

An ideal option would have been Western Force back Cameron Shepherd, who broke his leg in the France Test on July 5, and is still some way off from full fitness.
    Another option is Waratahs utility back Sam Norton-Knight who can play at five-eighth, inside-centre, on the wing or at fullback and has played in the Australia A program.

Otherwise, Deans could look at Western Force winger Digby Ioane (???), with whom he has worked, or even Brumbies outside back Mark Gerrard.

Deans is expected to keep most of the 30-player Wallabies Tri Nations squad.
    He also expects Waratahs No. 8 Wycliff Palu to tour, despite injuring his knee in the Tri Nations decider against the All Blacks in Brisbane.

"It was a four-to-six week injury, so the likelihood is that he will be coming back on strength in time to tour," he said. Two names have been touted as bolters - Western Force back-rower David Pocock and Brumbies half-back Josh Holmes.

Other possibles are Queensland Reds halfback Ben Lucas and five-eighth Quade Cooper, who also plays fullback, Brumbies centre Tyrone Smith, Waratahs prop Sekope Kepu, along with Brumbies' second-rower/back-rower Mark Chisholm and No. 8 Stephen Hoiles - the last three showing strong form for Randwick.

Chisholm could help fill the void of Waratahs second-rower Dan Vickerman or No. 6 Rocky Elsom caused by their UK commitments.

Deans felt Chisholm "played well in a beaten team" against University on Saturday.
    He also praised Wallabies Phil Waugh and Adam Freier for playing in the Shute Shield after the Tri Nations series.

"It is just good to see them out there. It's good for everyone. You can't replace time on the field of play," Deans said.

"It gives access to the next generation as well. It helps others to aspire to the opportunities that they have.

"It also keeps the incumbent generation going. It keeps them honest.
    "That enthusiasm is the heart of the game.

"It doesn't matter what level you are playing. If you don't love what you are doing, you won't last long there."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...935452084.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Western Force winger Digby Ioane (???)
    Jeez Rupert, you're better than that!
    Chisholm should be a sure selection for the Spring Tour, he had a belter in each S14 match I saw of him in the last two seasons.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    We've regained a player. How nice

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    is it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    We've regained a player. How nice
    Are you sure we want him?

He's only being called a player because he can't catch......again.....like he couldn't when he was playing with the reds.....last time......again.

Get the picture!

Oh yeah. he can't tackle anymore either!

C'mon the

vCash
    so like i said. is it?

vCash
    not really

im hoping jehna was being sarcastic...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Sarcasm really is a wonderful thing...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Why would anyone consider Pocock a bolter? I'm predicting he'll be one of the first picked from here on in.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Not first picked, he'll serve an apprenticeship under George Smith, Learn how to get away with stuff a bit better (remember the end of the season with the pinged a buch every game and carded once or twice) then begin to start in the next 18 months with Georgie taking the impact bench player role.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Not first picked, he'll serve an apprenticeship under George Smith,
    I should have been clearer, maybe. I agree he's some time off from replacing Smith. But I'm confidant he'll be one of the first picked in the squad from here on in.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    agreed, approximately 4.378 lightyears ahead of Waugh!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'll bet he was the first "next generation" player picked, if only because I am sure Deans would want a closer look.