Thread: Beefing up the pack

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Beefing up the pack

Following intense debate as to the relative size of Australian forwards on the international scene, I wrote this on Rugby Heaven a few weeks ago:

Reading through the Western Forces squad for next year and, although I don't suggest this is a first pick scrum, this is what I have come up with in terms of beefing up a pack. With arguably the best two forwards coaches in Australia in Mitchell and Darwin it will be interesting to watch these players progress over the next few years.
    1. Angus Scott 114kg, 185cm
    2. Tai McIsaac 112kg, 175cm
    3. Dave Fitter 119kg, 183cm
    4. John Welborn 118kg, 197cm
    5. Nathan Sharpe 115kg, 200cm
    6. Luke Doherty 105kg, 195cm
    7. Tim Davidson 103kg, 194cm
    8. David Pusey 110kg, 196cm
    That's an 896kg scrum at an average of 112kg and with two genuine lineout jumpers and three backrowers over 194cm for changing it up.
    As mentioned, I don't think this is a first pick scrum (Hardy, Cannon, Vedelago, Hodgson and Fava are all in the mix) but with the inevitable injury toll in the forwards we may get to see it sometime in the future. If they all put on half a kg over the preseason they’ll hit the elusive 900kg for an Australian scrum!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Following intense debate as to the relative size of Australian forwards on the international scene, I wrote this on Rugby Heaven a few weeks ago:

Reading through the Western Forces squad for next year and, although I don't suggest this is a first pick scrum, this is what I have come up with in terms of beefing up a pack. With arguably the best two forwards coaches in Australia in Mitchell and Darwin it will be interesting to watch these players progress over the next few years.
    1. Angus Scott 114kg, 185cm
    2. Tai McIsaac 112kg, 175cm
    3. Dave Fitter 119kg, 183cm
    4. John Welborn 118kg, 197cm
    5. Nathan Sharpe 115kg, 200cm
    6. Luke Doherty 105kg, 195cm
    7. Tim Davidson 103kg, 194cm
    8. David Pusey 110kg, 196cm
    That's an 896kg scrum at an average of 112kg and with two genuine lineout jumpers and three backrowers over 194cm for changing it up.
    As mentioned, I don't think this is a first pick scrum (Hardy, Cannon, Vedelago, Hodgson and Fava are all in the mix) but with the inevitable injury toll in the forwards we may get to see it sometime in the future. If they all put on half a kg over the preseason they’ll hit the elusive 900kg for an Australian scrum!

I like what your saying B-man. do you have a link to this article?

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    G'day no.8,
    By "wrote" I meant onto their Forum (or "Have Your Say" as they call it) page, rather than me being a journo or anything.
    So, unfortunately no link (except the site is www.rugbyheaven.com.au if you don't have that) but I'll churn out a few bits and pieces the same on this site over summer.
    Some people may say I need to get a hobby, I'd suggest I have one!
    Tooroo,
    Burgs.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Slide Fitter to Loose Head and HPU player David TeMoana to Tight Head in a couple of years and then the pack goes up to 915kgs!
    I am getting more and more confident about the prospects of the Force forwards for this season.
    The key to success will be transfering good forwards ball to the backs.
    Much pressure will come onto delivery from halfback (Henjak and O'Young) and 5/8 (MacKay and James) to let the outside backs get the glory.
    I think we should be all looking for finals in 2008 as the younger recruits (Daruda, Shepherd, Cowan, Stapleton etal) hit there straps and the scrum masters in Mitchell and Darwin do their magic on the big pack over three years.

vCash
    Big is good!! We want to flatten the opposition at scrum and lineout time!
    Then Scottie Fava can rough them up around the park.
    Then our backs can run them of them losers off the paddock!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Apprentice
    vCash
    Hey No 8 Big is good......

Technique is everything.

You guys have a player (can't remember if it is WF or QLd) from my local club called AJ Whalley, Prop, converted from a blindside by NSW great around the park, he may be a bolter for the starting line up.

Cheers

Jer

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah he's with us Heavensgame.
    Looking forward to seeing him go around.

Apprentice
    vCash
    You have got a few Warringah boys there, Holmes the hooker, Whalley at Prop, Mackay at 10. You almost got our centre but he went to Biarritz instead.

There is a bit of concern up here in Sydney that players like ones above will not be allowed back to Sydney next year, whether they have a contract or not. Personally, i think they should stay and play in your comp as long as they are spread evenly accross the teams.

Cheers

Jer

vCash
    With the APC and other proposed tournaments, such as the 6 Nations with the Pacific Islands, I don't think players will get much of an opportunity to play for local clubs.

Apprentice
    vCash
    True Chief, but this is the way forward for Australia.

How strong is the Perth competition?

Cheers

Jer

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I haven't the experience playing to know Jer but a Maori mate of mine who has played in NZ, NSW and WA reckond the WA Premier Rugby he has played in is about the same level as the Seconds matches he played in the Sydney Club (ie Tooheys New Clubs) Comp.
    The situation to me is a case of "for the great good". It may have a small effect on the players at hand but their sacrifice will ensure a lift in standard in WA Rugby which in turn will be a huge positive for Australian Rugby.
    As Chief says above, they probably won't get to play many games for those Clubs however, their presence at trainings and general input will be hugely beneficial in assisting player retention, skills development and general promotion of the code across the state.
    Given a couple of seasons, Western Australia will no longer be the Sleepy Hollow on the Australian Rugby map.