Thread: Daniel Halangahu stars as Sydney University claims Shute Shield

vCash

Daniel Halangahu stars as Sydney University claims Shute Shield

Daniel Halangahu stars as Sydney University claims Shute Shield
    September 21, 2008

SYDNEY University trailed for only one minute of a lopsided Shute Shield grand final running out 45-20 victors over Randwick at Concord Oval.

The Students scored six tries to three, with man of the match Daniel Halangahu a standout as he drove the champions around the park and collected 15 points with the boots.

Randwick maintained possession in the opening stages with Tim Walsh drawing first blood through a seventh minute penalty, however it was to be the only time the Galloping Greens led for the entire match.

The Students hit back immediately after the restart, when Jerry Yanuyanutawa charged down Randwick's clearance kick and regathered to score in the corner.

The rampaging prop looked to be over for his second try in the 15th minute, charging towards the line from a Randwick turnover, however a last gasp effort from Bernie Orbell saw the ball jolt free and a try went begging.

But the Students didn't have to wait long for their next opportunity to come when they developed an overlap from a close-range scrum to send Nathan Trist over.

Halangahu's conversion extended the lead to 12-3 after the opening quarter of the match.

more here...Daniel Halangahu stars as Sydney University claims Shute Shield | The Australian

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Must have been an ordinary game if Halangalangalikkiwikkicrapmerchant was the star!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To be fair, I have seen him play some excellent Rugby for Uni Gigs, he just doesn't seem to make the step up. A bit like Tim Davidson I guess. I think this is his fourth straight Premiership as Captain now.

Juggernaut rolls on

Rupert Guinness at Concord Oval | September 21, 2008

WHATEVER anyone may say about Sydney University, with their riches of talent and money to recruit, the Students yesterday proved it has been well invested when they defeated Randwick at Concord Oval.

In stifling temperatures above 30 degrees, Uni convincingly claimed their fourth successive premiership.

They were deserving winners with their structured play, solid defence, relatively error-free game and quickness of thought and body to capitalise on Randwick's many mistakes.

The Students didn't waste any time in the second half to punish Randwick's foibles. They returned from the break up 17-8 to score their fourth try at the 46th minute.

It went to University captain and No.8 Tim Davidson and made it 24-8 after the conversion by Daniel Halangahu, who added a penalty and a 53rd-minute drop goal to give them an unassailable 30-8 lead.

If anyone dared to argue that University's title win was not a fait accompli at this point it was silenced with another penalty from Halangahu in the 58th minute and tries to reserve winger Nick Edwards and hooker Nathan Charles that ballooned the score to 45-8.

It was too late for Randwick to turn the tables.

Winger Ratu Nasiganiyavi's unconverted try in the 75th minute narrowed the margin to 45-13 and four minutes later Morgan Turinui scored a converted try when it was long gone.

Randwick had little, if any, structure and spent a large part of the first half running or kicking out from their half, only to lose possession with poor kicks or turnovers. There were also far too many handling errors.

The Wicks, to their credit, opened with intent and pressured University. They were also first to score with a seventh-minute Tim Walsh penalty.

But the Students responded with the first of Randwick's mistakes, a kick by halfback Josh Valentine from inside their 22m that was charged down by Uni loose-head prop Jerry Yanuyanutawa, who chased it to score.

Randwick seemed cornered as University continued to pressure them in their half and were soon rewarded, with fullback Nathan Trist scoring a try in the 18th minute. Halangahu converted this one to extend their lead to 12-3.

Randwick needed quick points and Walsh's missed penalty four minutes later didn't help.

The Greens persevered with their ad lib approach and began to receive the benefit of referee James Leckie's whistle, which clearly frustrated University before the Wicks finally found a gap in the defensive line for No.7 Rodney Voullaire to score.

Incredibly Randwick were still in it 12-8 after Walsh missed the conversion. But the role of kicking was never clearer than when Walsh failed again with a 35th-minute penalty.

That was as close as Randwick got. Two minutes later University struck back with a third try; typically, off a Greens blunder - probably the worst of the game. A grubber by Phil Waugh into the Randwick in-goal area was poorly covered by fullback Matt Nethery, who was beaten to the ball by a chasing Trist.

Halangahu's conversion failed but it was the beginning of the end.

Uni captain Davidson said: "It was definitely the one per centers in that second half. Those are the things that win grand finals."

Waugh, playing in his sixth grand final, praised his fellow forwards' dominance "and Daniel [Halangahu] directed us around the field really well, which makes a big difference".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think this is his fourth straight Premiership as Captain now.
    Tah very much: (Force offcast) Davidson worthy of NSW

Rupert Guinness | September 21, 2008

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY captain Tim Davidson says he "won't hold my breath" for a Super 14 contract despite proving he deserves a second chance to play for the Waratahs in the Shute Shield grand final on Saturday.

Davidson, the Students' No.8, was a close challenger to teammate Daniel Halangahu as man of the match in University's 25-point victory over Randwick at Concord Oval. Davidson's leadership of the team - especially the forwards - his decision-making and general play were all outstanding, and he capped a performance that impressed many observers with a try in the 42nd minute.

He has now led University to four successive premiership titles.

It now remains to be seen if Davidson can rekindle his Super 14 career, which stalled when he was not kept on by NSW after the 2007 season.

"It shows that, at 25, I guess I am maturing as a footballer," Davidson said. "It is fantastic to know I haven't gone past that. If I wasn't performing at a level where I was happy or the guys were happy, I guess you would start to think about moving on. I am not going to hold my breath, [but] if it [a Super 14 deal] does come, that is fantastic."

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans watched the match at Concord Oval and was impressed by the six tries-to-three victory. "It was a good performance by Uni," he said. "They organised their game well, forced Randwick into playing the game in their own ground and [won] in a canter."

Davidson believes criticism of University's wealth and manpower by some other Sydney clubs is unfair.

"They can say those things, but you would hope they [would] look at their program, then at ours, mirror ours and then [if they] invest, in time theirs will build as well," he said.

"They forget the hard work we put in as a club. No one sees the work by our physios, sponsors - all the guys who aren't getting paid … They also forget the hard work the players do as a unit."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Davidson has a touch of speed as well, did a good job in the 79th minute of a massive game for him he then ran down Ratu Nasiganiyavi over 10 metres.. Ratu managed to offload as Davidson was taking him out which led to Morg's try but to even catch the winger is a pretty massive effort for an 8..