Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brown on the Bench for Tri Nation Decider

vCash

Brown on the Bench for Tri Nation Decider

From the ARU

September 9, 2008

FIVE CHANGES FOR TRI-NATIONS DECIDER

There are five changes to the Qantas Wallabies starting XV which has been named today for Saturday night’s Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series clash against New Zealand in Brisbane.

Centre Ryan Cross, flanker George Smith, lock Nathan Sharpe, tighthead prop Al Baxter and hooker Stephen Moore all return to the run on combination for the year’s third Bledisloe Cup match, which will also decide the 2008 Tri-Nations championship.

Cross, Smith, Baxter and Moore came from the run on reserves bench during last month’s loss to South Africa at Johannesburg, while Sharpe was not a member of that match-day squad.

The players omitted from that defeat are inside centre Timana Tahu, flanker Phil Waugh, utility forward Hugh McMeniman, prop Matt Dunning and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau.

Tahu and Polota-Nau have missed selection, while Waugh, McMeniman and Dunning have slotted into a run on reserves bench which features a five-two split.

The trio have been joined by New South Wales hooker Adam Freier and Western Force loose forward Richard Brown amongst the forward reserves, with halfback Brett Sheehan and wing-fullback Drew Mitchell covering the backline positions.

Freier returns to the match-day squad for the first time since Australia beat France 40-10 at Suncorp Stadium in early July. Brown will become the 828th player to be capped by Australia in Tests should he be required to take the field.

The injured trio of inside centre Berrick Barnes, halfback Luke Burgess and lock Dan Vickerman were not considered for selection.

As well as deciding this year’s Tri-Nations series, Saturday night’s match is the third leg of the 2008 Bledisloe Cup series, with the scoreboard currently locked at one match apiece.

The fourth match will be played at the National Stadium in Hong Kong on Saturday November 1.

Australia must win the series outright to reclaim the Bledisloe Cup, which it has not held since a New Zealand side that had Robbie Deans as its assistant coach, prevailed two-nil in the 2003 series.

Thirteen of the players named in the starting line-up today started when Australia won the opening match of this year’s series, 34-19, at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on 26 July.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, on Saturday September 13 (8pm kick off, local), is:

1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
    2. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
    3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
    4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
    5. Nathan Sharpe ()
    6. Rocky Elsom (NSW Waratahs)
    7. George Smith (Brumbies)
    8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)

9. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds)
    10. Matt Giteau ()
    11. Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs)
    12. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies) captain
    13. Ryan Cross ()
    14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

16. Adam Freier (NSW Waratahs)
    17. Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs)
    18. Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds)
    19. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs)
    20. Richard Brown ()
    21. Brett Sheehan (NSW Waratahs)
    22. Drew Mitchell ()

Australia v New Zealand in Brisbane – Historical Notes
    • This is the 155th match between Australia and New Zealand. The Qantas Wallabies have won on 45 previous occasions, while the All Blacks have prevailed 104 times. There have been five draws – the most recent of which was a 19-19 tie at Ballymore in Brisbane in 1988.
    • There have been 17 previous trans-Tasman Test matches in Queensland, the most recent being two years ago when the All Blacks edged a 13-9 win at Suncorp Stadium. That game was the first Bledisloe Cup Test in Brisbane after a decade-long absence.
    • Rocky Elsom, Nathan Sharpe, George Smith, Matt Giteau, Lote Tuqiri and Stirling Mortlock remain from the Australian starting XV on that occasion.
    • Overall, New Zealand has won 13 of the previous 17 matches in Queensland, Australia two, while two further matches (in 1974 & 1988) were drawn.
    • Australia’s wins were achieved in 1929 (17-9) and 1992 (19-17).
    • The Qantas Wallabies are bidding for their fourth win in this year’s championship, one in advance of the country’s previous best, which was the three gathered by the 2000 Tri-Nations-winning team. At that point, the competition consisted of just four matches, two each home and away.

Tri-Nations & Bledisloe Cup Equations
    • Saturday night is the final match of the 2008 Tri-Nations championship.
    • New Zealand enjoys a one-log point advantage over Australia in the standings.
    • The All Blacks also have an insurmountable point’s differentials advantage (+42 to -40).
    • This would be the critical tie-breaker should the two teams finish tied on the championship table, which could only now happen in the event of a draw – with Australia also picking up a try-scoring bonus point.
    • In Tri-Nations, four championship points are awarded for a win, with additional bonus points being earned when a team scores four tries, or when it finishes within seven points in a lost game.
    • In 2008, the Bledisloe Cup, which has been contested since 1931, is being held over a four-match series.
    • The scoreboard at the moment is 1-1.
    • Australia must either win or draw in Brisbane to keep alive its chances of winning the trophy when the series concludes in Hong Kong on 1 November.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Apart from switching Drew Mitchell and AAC it looks quite good considering the players available.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I don't think Brown will be given a run on...just a feeling.

vCash
    Yeah ! Reckon this is AAC's last chance as starter till Sheps is well

Bet the grin on Brownies face will light up Suncorp

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    5 from 22 - the percentages are looking better for the Wallabies

vCash
    Less Tahs in the starting XV also a good sight (though the end result is still a predictable AB win).

vCash
    It looks like a great team to me.
    The Bias Force side of me would have loved to see Drew take 15, but hopefully, AAC performs well there.
    Great to see Brown on the bench, but i think he'll be ggiven 15 mins over Rocky or Palu (more likely Palu).
    I think with Barnes out, the Mortlock 12 and Cross 13 combination would work pretty well. And great to see Sharpey back in action.
    I cant wait for this sat!

vCash
    i knew his day would come! im so happy for him! i hope he gets a run on WELL DONE BROWNIE!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Damn my aunty and her 80th birthday get together...on Sat Sept 13 at 7pm...

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    For all and anyone, what happens if Gits gets injured and off the ground?

(PS B&B, you can watch the game at 11.45pm on 7-The Rugby Channel)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post

(PS B&B, you can watch the game at 11.45pm on 7-The Rugby Channel)
    Anyone seen Mortlock play Fly Half? Pray that we don't lose him KQ...big time...

I have to agree with the AAC/Mitchell switch byt i would be surprised if AAC gets more than half a game. Still wish we had someone else to replace Horwill. Brownie will only get a run on if Palu has an average game or Rocky or George get injured. Otherwise I can't see it happening but I think the bench position is exciting enough for the moment

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Easy KQ.

I thought about this last week prior to the game in Joburg. Mortlock to 10, cross to 12, AAC to 13 and Drew to 15. You could also put Brown at 13 if required.

vCash
    I think its great Brownie is on the bench adn in Queensland where his family would be able to go and see! What a tremendous achievement to even get that far!

Don't even mention the Gits situation. Its not an option I'd like to think about, but if it does happen, I think they can cover it. Obviously not to the extent that Gits has it covered but I think they'll cope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Still wish we had someone else to replace Horwill.
    Why? What has he done wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Mortlock to 10, cross to 12, AAC to 13 and Drew to 15. You could also put Brown at 13 if required.
    Ever seen Mortlock put up a kick during general play?

With the team we have the only option is AAC considering he can kick (sort of) and has played just about everywhere so has a wide variety of skills that will at least make him solid at flyhalf. He isn't great but his versatility could work out.

Champion
    vCash
    ARRRGGGGHHH !! Adam Ashley Cooper still in the team, dooms day for the wallabies...

Great to see Poluta-Noui (sorry not sure of his name but no how to pronounce it) isn't in the team, got rid of one just need to get rid of the next in AAC

Great to see Sharps back and Brownie is there too...

I wonder who will make the cut for the european tour (most numbers will come from this test is my thinking)

Last edited by benny; 09-09-08 at 14:08.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast