Thread: O'Connor takes control of Australian sevens

vCash

O'Connor takes control of Australian sevens

The Australian Rugby Union has appointed former Wallaby Michael O'Connor as their new Sevens coach.

The dual international, who also played Rugby League for Australia, has taken over from Billy Millard, who is now with Cardiff Blues.

Read more...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    why is Rugby 7's not taken seriously in Australia?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Because we get booed in Hong Kong every year? Money? I dunno - it annoys me that it's not taken more seriously...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The booing dates back to a nasty incident back in the mid 80's

vCash
    it annoys me as well, should we not be looking to be more competitive in the shortened version of the game? Last time i saw the Australian 7's team didn't even have a sponsor on their jersey.

Cricket Australia hesitated a touch when 20/20 cricket came along, but have since embraced the concept. Why can't the ARU do the same for 7's?

Bugger the booing, if those Hong Kong twats can't move on with their lives............aren't they lucky their apart of China............

(what was said nasty incident?)
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    We (Kenya) kick your (OzMob) arse..I'm quite happy with that, lets keep it that way for a long while yet (message to ARU..focus only on XVs ).

vCash
    its simple, player depth, s14/wallaby teams cant afford to let some of there best players to go off and play 7's just before or during the season and theres not good enough players in club rugby to represent.

secondly, it currently doesnt offer the same potential income as 20/20 cricket, if all internatioal nations embraced 7's and let there best players represent then it would be a different story, understandably the ARU doesnt want to continue to pour money into 7's if they arent going to get a reasonable return.

In saying that i think the ARU could make more of a effort to get more S14 players released to play, S14 clubs are reluctant to release players even if they arent in the 22 because the chance of a injury and needing to promote said player.

On top of that the ARU should stop using 7's as a development tool and rather look at players who are the best at the time, i dont know if the use of young up and comers is the best way to develop these players, focus on the more accomplished players who might not have as much potential but at the time are better.

Another crazy idea, i think that the S14 teams should attempt to find a 2 week window where there can be a small round robin tournament with possibly two teams from each S14 team. Even invite NRL teams if interested, it would definetly draw a crowd and would provide a small income boost.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hopefully O'Connor is a better Sevens Coach than he was/is a National Selector...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.