Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much will it cost to fire De Villiers?

vCash

How much will it cost to fire De Villiers?

How much will it cost to fire De Villiers?
    Murray Williams
    August 25 2008 at 12:09PM

SA Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins threw his weight behind beleaguered Bok coach Peter de Villiers on Monday - but sought to placate the furious fans over Saturday's rare loss on home ground to Australia.

Fans booed the Boks off the pitch in Durban after they went down 15-27 in their first defeat at home by the Wallabies since 2000.

Hoskins told the Cape Argus: "I've never seen that reaction before. This is an extremely emotional time."

But he said that contrary to the view of many commentators, De Villiers was not necessarily to blame.

"It's tough times, but support in him (by Saru) is unwavering - as difficult as the results are," he said. He supported De Villiers, the team and the new game plan.

Reports suggested that SA Rugby would have to cough up around R5-million if it wanted to sack De Villiers, but Hoskins said this was not even being contemplated.

He admitted that he was concerned, but cited the 49-0 defeat by Australia in Brisbane in 2006 as an example of why there should be no panic-driven decision to fire De Villiers.

"Imagine if we had sacked Jake White then? We have learned that that is not necessarily the best approach to take."

Hoskins vowed, though, that the public would be heeded.

"They know their rugby very, very well - probably better than any other nation on earth," he said. "We will listen to all our stakeholders and our supporters are stakeholders."

The formal process regarding De Villiers's tenure would include a full assessment after the Boks' final Tri-Nations match at Ellis Park on Saturday.

News - IOL Sport: How much will it cost to fire De Villiers?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    please...can someone on the sa government fire him!!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    he wouldn't have the job if it wasn't for the South African Government

vCash
    yeah but still
    hes a crap coach!
    the boks kinda have no hope under him im sorry to say

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Seeing that he has the "unwavering support of SARU".......his days are definitely numbered!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Don't forget that Gatorade sponsorship will drop, if De Villiers is canned.

vCash
    Why cant they take a loss, That team had about 10 world champions in it they can win any game they play at home. The coach didnt loose that game, the players did.

vCash
    the coach is crap full stop

BOKKE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    the coach is crap full stop
    It can't all be the coach. Surely at some stage the players have to stand up and take responsibilty. Only problem is they can't sack the players

vCash
    You will see what happens when the Boks play and not one spectator sits on the stands Then the R5 mil ( not even a Mil dollar) will be small change

The Bulls supporters did it to the Bulls in the later stages of the Super 14 this year and it paid of with the Bulls doing really well in the local Currie cup comp

vCash
    thats so true PB

BOKKE

vCash
    Stop being racist Bok fans, your players simply play dumb rugby. I mean, you won the World Cup without playing New Zealand and Australia after bombing out of that same years Tri Nations, you aren't THAT good.

vCash
    Statement by SARU president, Oregan Hoskins

25 August 2008 (Posted: 16:41)

“I would like to make it clear that Springbok coach Peter de Villiers, his management team and playing squad have my unequivocal backing and that of the South African Rugby Union president’s council and of the board of SA Rugby (Pty) Ltd.
    “Although we share and understand the frustration and disappointment of supporters. Speculation about the coach’s future is pointless.

“The two most disappointed people in South Africa today are, in fact, Peter de Villiers and captain Victor Matfield and we know they will be doing everything in their power to achieve victory at Coca-Cola Park in Johannesburg on Saturday.

“And let me put an end to speculation that the post-Vodacom Tri-Nations review will in some way be pivotal to the future of the coach. That is not the case. It is an entirely normal quarterly review such as every Springbok coach has undergone.

“I would like to underline that Peter’s future is secure – we are not in the business of sacking Springbok coaches within three months of them playing their first match.”

SA Rugby - www.sarugby.co.za - The official home of rugby in South Africa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    You will see what happens when the Boks play and not one spectator sits on the stands
    Would you be proud of that, Pieter?

If it ever happened here - and it won't, ever - I'd be ashamed to be an Aussie.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Would you be proud of that, Pieter?

If it ever happened here - and it won't, ever - I'd be ashamed to be an Aussie.
    So would I

Just because your team isn't doing well doesn't mean you should abandon them untill they are winning. Supporters should turn up through thick and thin. Thats just classic bandwagon supporter behaviour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast