Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Wanneroo V Kalamunda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd View Post
    And those seven points were hardly a surprise -- Harry Cogin was running down the sideline with Garth Ziegler and another player inside him, and Wanneroo fullback Troy Doughty was the only defender in sight. The only remote chance of that not being a try was if Ziegler had knocked the ball on. Unfortunately he didn't get the chance as Doughty knocked the ball down before it got to him. He wasn't going for the intercept (very hard to catch a ball with one hand) and I doubt the intercept was even possible. His only possible action was a foul, and that's a penalty try. Penalty tries are always controversial and I don't like them when they're used "super penalties" but I think Lindsay called it right. It didn't make any difference to the result, other than giving the Roo-dogs even more motivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    But it did happen on the 22 metre line. It made for a good way to make fun of the ref anyway. For the rest of the game "Penalty try" calls were coming from the Wanneroo supporters for anything, no matter where it happened on the field.

The boy passed and Troy reached out to catch it with one hand and knocked it into touch, should have been a scrum or a lineout depending what the touchy saw. There was NO deliberate knocking the ball down action. Thats my opinion anyway and it doesn't matter at all anyway because were in the final regardless.
    Interesting watching it from the stand with a bunch of referee coaches, one of whom was assessing Andrew Lindsay's performance. General view was that the call was a bit harsh.

My view, however, having played in the backs and having the ability to catch one-handed (either hand - it's a big ball), is that it is likely that a back could intercept one-handed (well I could in my day...) and, therefore, it may have been a harsh call. BUT ALSO I can put myself into Andrew's position and see that it can easily be called a deliberate knockdown. As Rick said, with 3 on 1, it was a no-brainer that the pass would probably have been caught and the try, therefore, probably have been scored = penalty try. As wrf said, it was pretty funny with everyone calling for a penalty try for the rest of the game but.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe I've missed something but what time is KO on Sunday?

Just happy to be here

vCash
    seeing as we have both 1st and 2nd grade in the finals maybe we'll just have our first 15 play both games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KalaFan View Post
    seeing as we have both 1st and 2nd grade in the finals maybe we'll just have our first 15 play both games
    Aren't you all going to be in Church?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    Maybe I've missed something but what time is KO on Sunday?
    Grand Finals – Saturday 30th August 2008
    5th Grade 12.15pm
    4th Grade 1.40pm
    3rd Grade 3.15pm

Grand Finals – Sunday 31st August 2008
    Women’s 9.15am
    Under 18 10.50am
    Under 20 12.10pm
    2nd Grade 1.45pm
    1st Grade 3.30pm

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Time I got differ ever so slightly, Ecky ...

Grand Finals will be played this Sunday as follows:

9.15am Women Cottesloe v Perth Bayswater
    10.30am Under 18’s Wests Subiaco v Perth Bayswater
    12.00 noon Under 20’s Nedlands v Associates
    1.40pm 2nd Grade Kalamunda v Nedlands
    3.30pm 1st Grade Wanneroo v Kalamunda

vCash
    Hope you're not reffing one of the ones with the wrong time......that'd be embarrassing if the ref turned up late!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Prospect
    vCash
    Have stumbled across this whilst doing some browsing on the web. I was the referee on the weekend and awarded the penalty try to Nedlands. On face value it may appear harsh. However, if it wasn't for the deliberate knock on, Wanneroo would probably have scored a try as it was basically 3 on 1. The laws of rugby use the word 'probably', unlike rugby league where the referee has to be almost certain. One of the things we look for as referees in ruling a deliberate knock on is which direction the ball travels - up or down. Often if a player is trying to 'catch' a very difficult pass they will try and knock it up to give them a better chance of getting hold of it. If they knock it down, at pace they have no hope. I have had a look at the incident on replay and it confirms what I saw live, simply a reflex action by a Wanneroo player in an attempt to stop the inside pass. Unfortunately our laws also require that someone who gives away a penalty try must also be yellow carded - I guess they are trying to get players to think twice before taking a gamble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Linds View Post
    Have stumbled across this whilst doing some browsing on the web. I was the referee on the weekend and awarded the penalty try to Nedlands. On face value it may appear harsh. However, if it wasn't for the deliberate knock on, Wanneroo would probably have scored a try as it was basically 3 on 1. The laws of rugby use the word 'probably', unlike rugby league where the referee has to be almost certain. One of the things we look for as referees in ruling a deliberate knock on is which direction the ball travels - up or down. Often if a player is trying to 'catch' a very difficult pass they will try and knock it up to give them a better chance of getting hold of it. If they knock it down, at pace they have no hope. I have had a look at the incident on replay and it confirms what I saw live, simply a reflex action by a Wanneroo player in an attempt to stop the inside pass. Unfortunately our laws also require that someone who gives away a penalty try must also be yellow carded - I guess they are trying to get players to think twice before taking a gamble.
    Welcome aboard, but I still say it was a natural reaction to reach out and try to intercept the pass. I believe a deliberate knock down can only come from a shoulder to ground motion almost slapping the ball down not in a reaching motion which knocks it forwards not downwards. But you've seen the video replay of it so I'll leave it at that.

Mate good on you for doing what you do, your a credit to the game of rugby. Without men like you there would be no game. Greatest game in the world and I always have and will continue to call the ref "Sir", but only when I'm playing. In the stands it's different.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Is their any truth in the rumour that there will be random drug testing conducted immediately after the first grade grand final?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Did you just start that rumor. Fulvio?

Welcome, A_Linds - appreciate the inside info

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Coach, are you my mother?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Aren't you all going to be in Church?
    Havn't you heard mate? We're lobbying to make sure one of the touchies is a priest so he can take confessions after a try is scored

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KalaFan View Post
    Havn't you heard mate? We're lobbying to make sure one of the touchies is a priest so he can take confessions after a try is scored
    a Wanneroo try so that when your all grouped behind the posts and the touchies are nearby as well??

Last edited by jargan83; 26-08-08 at 21:33.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Time I got differ ever so slightly, Ecky ...

Grand Finals will be played this Sunday as follows:

9.15am Women Cottesloe v Perth Bayswater
    10.30am Under 18’s Wests Subiaco v Perth Bayswater
    12.00 noon Under 20’s Nedlands v Associates
    1.40pm 2nd Grade Kalamunda v Nedlands
    3.30pm 1st Grade Wanneroo v Kalamunda
    Silly me! I just copied & pasted from Rugby WA website. Why the hell I would assume they'd have the correct info...........
    And now they've updated it here

Last edited by Ecky; 26-08-08 at 21:30. Reason: Link to RWA finals format doc

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast