Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies v South Africa - Live scores Durban 23/8/08

vCash
    i thought he played quite well

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    im underating gits comsidering the ball he was getting, just the constant short kicks were shitting me! but he didnt really have support to do anything else with!

the boks were terrible though! here has to be some huge questions asked come morning! that was worse than an eddie jones coached side!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    to be honest i thought mitchell went missing tonight....
    Looks like he had a bad hair day

vCash
    mitchell was just there! he didnt do anything special but didnt make as many mistakes as usual!

vCash
    but eddie jones did help them win the world cup
    but yet again...that was last year
    the beast and adi jacobs were the stand out players in the bok team for me
    and how nice was mitchell...when steyn ran into mitchells knees from the high ball...drew alerted the bok medical team to come quickly and see steyn...we have some lovely force players

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    i doubt the politics will go out the window WRF, how long have they been in place? They won't can them
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    i wish they did

BOKKE

vCash
    we all want things we cant have
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    i thought drew was pretty good... made a couple of runs and defense was solid. im not sure about him compared to aac though.
    if anyones going it should be lote-butter-fingers!!! (yes he did score a try but good grief he cannot catch!)

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Brownie should get a run next week.

Palu has had enough chances. He goes missing every week. Is this the same Palu that played for the Tahs this year...I don't think so.

Hoiles and McMiniemen (more like McMinimum) can't last an entire match without getting injured so Brown should get a go.

We might actually see a few changes next week even though Deans doesn't like rotation just for the sake of it. Winning next week isn't terribly important. Regardless of what happens we are probably still going to need a win against NZ so I think in the game against SA Deans might rest a couple guys like Smith, Moore, Robinson etc.

vCash
    a win with a bonus point next week would leave us only needing one point against NZ. But i would prefer to see us beat NZ to win the 3N and it keeps the Bledisloe alive
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    i doubt the politics will go out the window WRF, how long have they been in place? They won't can them
    Posted via Mobile Device
    With the Springbok team it's only been this year so someone had better open a window. Can't imagine what the South African press is saying this morning. Can some of the South African members explain how important rugby in the republic and how fanatical the fans are.

It may get a small article in the back of the paper tomorrow and a 10 second run on the news over here but it will be very different over there. They do not accept anything less than winning and bloody good on them for it. I only wish Aus was as rugby mad as SA is. Wales is the same, NZ is the same and unless you've lived in either of these three countries you won't know how important rugby is to the people who live there, its the religion.

It would be the same here if GAYFL was non existent and every GAYFL and NRL supporter in the land was suddenly a Union fan. That is the only way to describe what it's like in some other countries. I will keep dreaming that it will be this way here one day. We would have an 80,000 seat stadium tomorrow.

vCash
    There were only 2 articles on their website: this and the one about 2 players being cited.

Boks slump to defeat
    23 August 2008 (Posted: 17:05) -- Reuters

Australia beat South Africa 27-15 at the Absa Stadium in Durban on Saturday to end the world champions' hopes of winning the Vodacom Tri-Nations title.
    Blow-by-blow scoring

The victory was Australia's first in South Africa since 2000.

Captain Stirling Mortlock and winger Lote Tuqiri scored second-half tries to seal the Australian victory although South Africa closed the gap in the final quarter with two tries by centre Adrian Jacobs.

Australia flyhalf Matt Giteau gave a masterful display with the boot, kicking three conversions and two penalties.

Loosehead prop Benn Robinson scored a 27th-minute try as Australia seized a 10-0 halftime lead which they never relinquished.

Robinson plunged over the line from close range after he picked up the ball from a ruck, which followed kicks behind the Springbok defence by Giteau and replacement centre Ryan Cross. Wing Jongikhaya Nokwe conceded a free kick after he was caught in possession.

Giteau converted to add to his eighth-minute penalty.

South Africa were eventually on the scoresheet in the 44th minute thanks to a Butch James penalty. Giteau replied with a three-pointer seven minutes later and Australia had the win wrapped up after 62 minutes when Giteau's long pass after a lineout released Tuqiri, who brushed off Jacobs' tackle and sliced through for a try from 25 metres out.

SPRINGBOK TRY

Jacobs made partial amends when he picked up the ball from a ruck, after midfield partner Jean de Villiers' break had put the Springboks on attack. He dived over the line for the Springboks' first Tri-nations' try since their last-minute matchwinner in Dunedin on July 12.

Australia struck back immediately when centre Mortlock cut through the Springbok defences and had the power to surge over the line with two tacklers on his back after a run of 30 metres.

Montgomery put Jacobs away in the 71st minute for his second try, but by then Australia were already celebrating their first win in South Africa since their 19-18 victory at the same venue eight years ago.

Australian flankers Rocky Elsom and George Smith stood head and shoulders above their Springbok counterparts, who struggled all afternoon to give their ball-carriers meaningful support.

The much-vaunted South African lineout had an off day but the Springboks were dominant in the scrums although they could derive no meaningful momentum from the good quality ball.

South Africa and Australia play a return fixture in Johannesburg next Saturday, with the Wallabies handily positioned one point behind New Zealand with two matches to play.

Scorers were:

South Africa (0) 15: Two tries by Adi Jacobs (64 min & 70 min). Butch James kicked a penalty and Percy Montgomery a conversion.

Australia (10) 27: Tries by Benn Robinson (26 min), Lote Tuqiri (60 min), Stirling Mortlock (66 min). Matt Giteau kicked three conversions and two penalties.

SA Rugby - www.sarugby.co.za - The official home of rugby in South Africa

vCash
    at the end of the day the Wallabies won because Springboks played terrible rugby, if that was against the All Blacks we would have being flogged..

No player in the team played excellent, there were mistakes all over the place and nothing can really be taken out of that match as a indication of where the Wallabies are heading.

I expect we will see Barnes replaced by Tahu and Vickerman by Mumm next week, no need to risk either player considering Brisbane will be the deciding tri-nations match regardless of next weeks outcome.

Might even see Horwill rested as well due to concussion, but they might be a little short on locks over there unless they fly some more in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    I have never thought that I will agree with you on anything but you are 100% correct The Aussies won because the Bokke played shit not because the Wallabies were good Gits saved there bacon so many times I lost count The wallabies might as well play without a half back because he did not help in any way
    I actually think you're being a little harsh on the Aussies. The Boks did not play to their usual standard, i'll give you that, but for the most part I thought Australia put in a solid performance, particularly given the amount of injuries we had leading into the game and then within the first half.

Our defence in the first half was really good. We defended our line beautifully and under some intense pressure. Our lineouts were good, we pressured the saffas during their lineouts. The scrum held up for the most part but there is obvious work to do.

We had some serious brain freezing in the second half and Gits did do some bacon saving there but in the end we managed to prevent too much dmage occuring.

I though Cordingley had a reasonable game and Crossie played well. We need to have a rethink on the wings (drew should move back up...he's a confidence playwer who doesn't cope well at fullback) and i hate to say it but Tuqiri's try does nothing to even up the amount of mistakes he made in that game...breaking the line, creating gaps and butter fingers are not a good combination for a winger of his apparent calibre. Horwill is improving each week even with a few moments of inexperience coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    at the end of the day the Wallabies won because Springboks played terrible rugby, if that was against the All Blacks we would have being flogged..
    I think we played well enough to get us over the line....never underestimate the affect a poor opposition can have on your own game. You will always step up (particularly the wallabies) when you're forced to by good opposition.

I think you've got to give the boys credit...beating the saffas in south africa is no mean feat.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast