Thread: Sonny Bill compo deal looms

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Sonny Bill compo deal looms

Sonny Bill compo deal looms
    By BRAD WALTER, GLENN JACKSON and BELLINDA KONTOMINAS - SMH | Friday, 15 August 2008
    Sonny Bill compo deal looms - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

A compensation deal is set to end the Sonny Bill Williams stand-off saga between his former Canterbury rugby league club in Sydney and his new French rugby union club, Toulon.

Williams, who fled to France, despite having four years to run on his NRL contract with Canterbury, had been due to play in a Toulon trial this morning (NZ time) but did not take the field.

"A financial settlement is going to be found at the beginning of next week," Toulon president
    Mourad Boudjellal told news agency AFP this morning while at the Toulon versus Toulouse match at the Mayol stadium.

Williams did not play so as not to "inflame the situation," Boudjellal added in reference to a New South Wales Supreme Court ruling which forbade Williams to play for his club.

In Sydney yesterday, Williams' former Canterbury Bulldogs teammate Hazem El Masri has admitted he felt the club may have been cursed in recent times.

With Williams's shock departure the latest in a string of dramas at the Bulldogs as they edge closer to the wooden spoon, El Masri conceded the club was at its lowest point in his 13-year career.

"The whole year's been tough," El Masri said. "You go through ups and downs, but it probably doesn't get any lower than this.

"It's amazing what things keep popping up. This is just another one. I think someone has just cursed the club over the last five years. I don't think it could get any worse.

"But every club goes through some tough times. You rebuild."

But El Masri refused to be critical of Williams for walking out on the club just one year into a five-year contract, saying: "The bottom line is it's up to him. He said he had his reasons. That's the way things go. He went about it his way … although I would have never done it that way."

El Masri made the comments on a day in which lawyers representing the Bulldogs and the NRL foreshadowed in court that they would begin contempt proceedings against Williams that could result in him facing jail or having his assets seized.

Toulon officials yesterday rejected the claims made in court that legal papers had been served on Williams after his debut last week in a continuation of the hardline stance adapted by the club's owner Mourad Boudjellal.

"That's absolute rubbish," a Toulon source told AAP.

"They haven't handed any papers to him, definitely not. I don't know where they stand legally, but they [the NRL] seem to be making a lot of noise because they can't do much more than that."

Boudjellal went further by suggesting that Williams's shock walk-out and code switch was related to wider problems at the Bulldogs, a club he didn't even know existed six months ago.

"When something like this happens, it's not just the the fault of the club or just the fault of the player - it's normally a bit of both. It's more complicated than that," he said on the club's website.

"If I was the president of the Bulldogs [George Peponis], the first question I would ask myself is why has a player left the club in these conditions?

"If Sonny Bill left us after being disgusted at what's been going on, why? If he's disgusted about what's been going on, perhaps other players are as well.

"Perhaps he [Peponis] should try and sort out his problems.

"Obviously, the easiest thing for everyone to say is that it's [about] money but that means you can avoid asking yourself the hard questions. But it doesn't mean it's as easy as that. There's a lot more to it than money."

Asked about the possibility of Williams being arrested, Boudjellal said: "Obviously the French don't have the same culture as Australia because, I'd suggest, getting arrested for that … there are a lot of far more shocking things in the world which go on that you would get arrested for before that".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    someone said SBW has offered 750,000 to get out of the contract - The bulldogs wanted 1 million - it is understood that negotiation's are happening over the weekend and it is hoped that an announcement can be made Monday - but it is understood that SBW has handed over an undisclosed amount. The deal was brokered by former ALP minister Graham Richardinson.

SBW has also let down a childrens charity fundraiser by not showing up

Must be nice to have a lazy $750,000 to sort out your stuff

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I heard his house is on the market too, I don't how that is supposed to work if (apparently) his Australian assets were seized for being in contempt of court...what a shambles!

vCash
    Good one SBW, show those Mungoes what's what.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Good one SBW, show those Mungoes what's what.
    I dont see how he "showing" them whats what. Hiding in toilets is definately the actions of a brave man. Obviously by this action it just makes look like he was indeed served with his papers last week despite the denials of SBW and the surrender monkey that owns Toulon. Said surrender monkey can't have his million dollar recruit sitting on the sidelines while the lengthy court process unfolds
    Posted via Mobile Device