Thread: 16 year old halfback plays NRL

Player
    vCash

16 year old halfback plays NRL

Source:Redirect Notice

Titans teen gets Fittler wrap
    By Dean Ritchie
    August 13, 2008 12:00am

Centre of attention ... Palm Beach Currumbin High student Jordan Rankin back among classmates after he made his first grade debut for the Gold Coast Titans. Photograph: David Clark / The Daily Telegraph

IF anyone is qualified to assess the Test prospects of a schoolboy footballer, it's Brad Fittler.

And yesterday the Roosters legend did just that, saying 16-year-old Gold Coast Titan Jordan Rankin would one day represent Australia. '

Rankin, at 16 years and 239 days old, became the youngest halfback in history to debut in first grade when he took the field in Monday night's match against Newcastle at Skilled Park.

He missed school yesterday at Palm Beach Currumbin SHS to attend a touch football competition but will today resume studies for his end-of-term exams.

Only five players have debuted in first grade while at school and then played for Australia - Fittler, Paul Langmack, Andrew Ettingshausen, Tim Brasher and Luke Rooney.

"It is amazing,'' Fittler said of Rankin's age. "He will be on top of the world. Having a ball. There will be plenty of hurdles but he'll be okay if he keeps improving and keeps adapting. As long as he does the right thing, I'd say he'll play for Australia. He has shown the potential so far.''

Fittler debuted with Penrith's first-grade side while at McCarthy High in 1989 and, incredibly, played for Australia the following year. "Kids these days are used to the things footy throws up,'' Fittler said.

"TV isn't scary for them. He'll get to an age when he's comfortable. Fifty-odd games, maybe even earlier.''

Adam Ritson was the last 16-year-old to burst into first grade - he did it in 1993 with Cronulla but was forced into retirement just three years later with a brain cyst.

"They would be exciting times for the kid,'' Ritson said. "He'll be doing his best and having a good time. I suppose there isn't that much expected of him at the moment. He's got nothing to lose. If things don't work out, people will say he's only young.

"But he still has to work hard. He can't take anything for granted and has to keep a level head. He should enjoy it because who knows when it will all end? It could be taken at any time. I hope he does well in the game.''

Rankin was protected from the media by Gold Coast officials yesterday - despite him now being a first-grader. In quotes supplied by the club, Rankin claimed he was still bewildered at playing NRL when still in year 11.

"It wasn't as much pressure as I thought it would have been but that's because of the boys and the way they've treated me over the last week. They've really made me feel comfortable,'' he said.

"My dream was to play NRL while I'm still at school and to do it while I'm still in year 11, it's just a great thing and I can't believe it's happened.''

Rankin was dropped back to Toyota Cup yesterday for Saturday night's game against North Queensland in Townsville. He may be recalled to NRL again this season.

Palm beach Currumbin old boy Ben Ikin - the youngest State of Origin player at 18 years and 83 days - labelled Rankin's effort "composed''.

"If you're overawed, it can show up in your performance, but he didn't display that,'' Ikin said. "I was petrified before my first first-grade game. I remember being on the bench for that first Origin game, I was that scared that I would have preferred Fatty to have not put me on.''

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    he must be crap
    (cough)

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm a bit deaf.

Was that half BACK or half WIT?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    he must be crap
    (cough)
    based on what? He is about to make his debut in a tough top level competition at the age of 16.

I assume you say that becasue he is playing League instead of Union??

vCash
    based on what? He is about to make his debut in a tough top level competition at the age of 16.

I assume you say that becasue he is playing League instead of Union??
    ever heard of sarcasm????

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    ever heard of sarcasm????
    ever heard of a smiley?

just a bit hard to know when someone is being scarcastic via the internet

vCash
    aww ok
    fair enough

BOKKE

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Oh dear, I'm in the shit....

vCash
    nuts, Although st george is my team I like to see good things come out of the titans. Perhaps because it is the next stop on the AFL's imperial expansion agenda (cue star wars imperial march). Good Luck to the kid!!

Player
    vCash
    looks like hes doing ok with the ladies anyway!
    my super rugby history is pretty average (only followed since force entered), many young fellas made it?

vCash
    James O'Connor played his first game this year at 17 apart from that I'm not sure either
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    yeh i knew about him
    pretty sure most of
    Fittler, Paul Langmack, Andrew Ettingshausen, Tim Brasher and Luke Rooney.
    were all 17 when they debuted
    and rankin is one of very few players to play aussie schoolboys in the same year as first grade, 2 weeks before his debut he scored 2 tries and 10 goals in a aussie schoolboys 68-6 demolishion of an english team
    he also lead the titans NYC (U20s) team to 6 wins in his six games, for 3 man of the matches
    be interesting to see how he goes over rest of his career