Thread: Preview: 3N - Springboks v All Blacks

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Preview: 3N - Springboks v All Blacks

I find myself really looking forward to this match - strange, when I want them both to lose. Such a good tournament this year!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

This is it - the showdown.
    Bulk of the article here
    Both teams should head into this with confidence - the All Blacks after their big win over the Wallabies as they shrugged off their lethargy and the Springboks after their nine-try win over the Pumas.

Both teams have a variety of kickers - left and right, tactical and at goal, long and clever, though Dan Carter - especially if he is not "intimidated" - is liable to best in all forms of kick.

Matches of this nature can turn on small things - a missed tackle, a dropped ball, an injury. The Springboks experienced that in Perth, the All Blacks in Dunedin. Equally victory can turn on small things - like the flash of inspiration Januarie had in Dunedin.

Players to Watch: You will watch action-man Schalk Burger (South Africa) with his reckless energy and you will watch relentless Richie McCaw (New Zealand). You will be excited when the ball heads its way to Bryan Habana (South Africa) or Sitiveni Sivivatu (New Zealand).

Head to Head: In every position there are match-ups but the biggest and most decisive head-to-head of all could be tight five against tight five. The All Blacks are expecting to win that one. If they do it could have a winning ripple effect right through their team and the way they are able to play.

But there are others - powerful but erratic Ma'a Nonu against the poacher Jean de Villiers; smooth Dan Carter against brusque Butch James; strong, fast, intuitive Fourie du Preez against combative Jimmy Cowan, the best defensive scrumhalf around; Richie McCaw against Schalk Burger; Victor Matfield against Ali Williams; Greg Somerville against Beast Mtawarira; and two great hookers in combat, both strong men who play every second of the game - Bismarck du Plessis against Andrew Hore.

You could go from one to 22 and tick off which individual you think will be better but in the end it's team against team with luck to decide.

Hopes for the game? Another great conflict with all the skills of great players on display and great respect for each other and the game of rugby football.

And there is the ardent hope that for Percy Montgomery his 100th Test on his home ground will be a grand occasion for him.

Previous Tri-Nations Results

2008: South Africa won 30-28 at Carisbrook, Dunedin
    2008: New Zealand won 19-8 at Westpac Trust, Wellington
    2007: New Zealand won 33-6 at Jade Stadium, Christchurch
    2007: New Zealand won 26-21 at Absa Stadium, Durban
    2006: South Africa won 20-21 at Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg
    2006: New Zealand won 45-26 at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
    2006: New Zealand won 35-17 at Westpac Trust, Wellington
    2005: New Zealand won 31-27 at Carisbrook, Dunedin
    2005: South Africa won 22-16 at Newlands
    2004: South Africa won 40-26 at Ellis Park, Johannesburg
    2004: New Zealand won 23-21 at Jade Stadium, Christchurch
    2003: New Zealand won 19-11 at Carisbrook, Dunedin
    2003: New Zealand won 52-16 at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
    2002: New Zealand won 30-23 at Kings Park Stadium, Durban
    2002: New Zealand won 41-20 at Westpac Trust, Wellington
    2001: New Zealand won 26-15 at Eden Park, Auckland
    2001: New Zealand won 12-3 at Newlands
    2000: South Africa won 46-40 at Ellis Park, Johannesburg
    2000: New Zealand won 25-12 at Jade Stadium, Christchurch
    1999: New Zealand won 34-18 at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
    1999: New Zealand won 28-0 at Carisbrook, Dunedin
    1998: South Africa won 24-23 at Kings Park Stadium, Durban
    1998: South Africa won 13-3 at Athletic Park, Wellington
    1997: New Zealand won 55-35 at Eden Park, Auckland
    1997: New Zealand won 35-32 at Ellis Park, Johannesburg
    1996: New Zealand won 29-18 at Newlands
    1996: New Zealand won 15-11 at Lancaster Park, Christchurch

Prediction: New Zealand to win by more than five.

Teams:

South Africa: 15 Percy Montgomery, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Adrian Jacobs, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Butch James, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Andries Bekker, 3 CJ van der Linde, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
    Replacements: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Brian Mujati, 18 Danie Rossouw, 19 Luke Watson, 20 Enrico Januarie, 21 François Steyn, 22 Conrad Jantjes.

New Zealand: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Richard Kahui, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Sitiveni Sivivatu, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Rodney So'oialo, 7 Richie McCaw (captain), 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Ali Williams, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Greg Somerville, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Tony Woodcock.
    Replacements: 16 Keven Mealamu, 17 John Afoa, 18 Anthony Boric, 19 Adam Thomson, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Stephen Donald, 22 Isaia Toeava.

Date: Saturday, 16 August
    Kick-off: 15.00 (13.00 GMT)
    Venue: Newlands, Cape Town
    Expected weather conditions: Scattered clouds clearing with a high of 18°C, dropping to 10°C and a southeaster of 10 km/h, freshening. Good weather for rugby on a perfect surface with packed stands.
    Referee: Matt Goddard (Australia)
    Touch judges: Wayne Barnes (England), James Leckie (Australia)
    TMO: Geoff Warren (England)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I find myself really looking forward to this match - strange, when I want them both to lose. Such a good tournament this year!
    How about a draw??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I love my six nations but the Tri Nations is an absolute cracker of a tournament.

It's like the heavyweights of the boxing are in the ring each week.

Couldn't give a rats clacker who wins this week as long as they play good, hard smash em up rugby, which they will.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed. A draw might be the best outcome for us, but I'll be happy if they just hammer the snot out of each other and make some good television. Any which way the results fall, I reckon we'll have to win one of the two games to be in with a shot. Even with a win, it is unlikely that we would be safe come the Brisbane Bledisloe. What a hell of a match that could be...

vCash
    if Australia can steal a win in the land of the whinging saffer i dare say that Brisbane game will decide thf 3N?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    if Australia can steal a win in the land of the whinging saffer i dare say that Brisbane game will decide thf 3N?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Even if we don't- if the Kiwis beat SA and we pick up a few bonus points in the two games it should set up a tasty little final.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    woooo cant wait for this game!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    IIt's like the heavyweights of the boxing are in the ring each week.
    It is the heavyweights, hence 5 World Cups Southern Hemisphere, 1 to the Northern Hemisphere
    Posted via Mobile Device