Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Bill Williams warned not to go on the field

vCash
    It will all end up with somebody paying some other body a big out of court settlement, the boy now has two contracts of employment, so he's going to be in breach of one of them. somebody's going to pay to have it fixed anybody care to guess who?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Wonder if he could defend it on the grounds that the NRL failed to ensure him a safe working environment?
    One of the GAYFL boys is trying to run with it at the moment, apparantly the ground was too hard.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Bloody hell - there is always a chancer somewhere, isn't there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    Wonder if he could defend it on the grounds that the NRL failed to ensure him a safe working environment?
    Highly unlikely. That little Frog halfback he so bravely shoulder charged would have a good case though.

Is he out of intensive care yet?

Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    The Bulldogs are just trying to save face and it will be being pushed along by the NRL.

They have to be deemed to taking a tough stance or it will be a free for all when other rats start jumping the ship.

It will all blow over and nobody will have lost face.
    We seem to have different takes on this issue, Welshrugbydude. Surprise, surprise.

The issue is a lot more serious than a matter of saving face. It's widely known that Canterbury let some top flight players go in order to hold SBW and had recruited players for next year who planned on playing alongside him. Their business has been damaged in a big way. They need to be compensated. Simple.

His salary was officially among the highest 10 in the NRL so he was not being undervalued in terms of Australian RL salaries. Seems more that he was unhappy that he'd signed for 5 years before he became aware of what he could earn OS and/or before he became unhappy at Belmore. I'm fairly certain Khoder Nasser had tried to cut a deal with the Dogs a while back but they could not come to terms. The settlement needs to be equitable or the contract must stand. If Toulon are happy to pay compensation why was this not just worked through? If they were/are unwilling to make a realistic payment SBW could well find he's in breach of a contract in both hemispheres or having his assets frozen in one. Watch this space.

BTW there are plenty more rats on the good ship Mungo, I don't think the NRL's sky is falling and I think they are coming around to that view also. In fact I'd like to see a few more jumping on board Rugby.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Shasta - whilst appreciating you are not a lawyer - your take would be that SBW will be up for compensation in Australia and possibly Toulon - depending on what he told them before he signed - in that case he'll be working for nothing for a long time to come

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Shasta - whilst appreciating you are not a lawyer - your take would be that SBW will be up for compensation in Australia and possibly Toulon - depending on what he told them before he signed - in that case he'll be working for nothing for a long time to come
    Definitely not a lawyer. The freezing of assets is being widely quoted in the media. At this stage, under the injunction, he can't play for Toulon and does not want to play for the Dogs so he MAY not be able to fulfill either contract. Depends on his terms at Toulon and whether either club wants to cut a deal and whether an acceptable one can be struck. Otherwise I imagine it will end up in the courts and the onus would be on SBW to challenge the legality of the contract.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    BTW there are plenty more rats on the good ship Mungo, I don't think the NRL's sky is falling and I think they are coming around to that view also. In fact I'd like to see a few more jumping on board Rugby

Rats was just an expression that fitted what SBW did, it didn't apply to the rest of the mungoes. I don't agree with how he did what he did, obviously didn't care too much about his team mates to stop and at least tell them why he wanted out.

I'm sure Toulon have very good lawyers with the people who are financially backing the club and doubt SBW will miss to many games and an agreement will be reached soon.

I actually watched a whole game of League this morning from the English Super League and it was slightly ok, the crowd were the best part. Then I watched the Currie Cup and realised why I am a Union man born and bred, good work Lions knocking of the Bulls.

vCash
    Sonny Bill Williams court case adjourned
    AAP - August 18, 2008, 11:07 am

A court hearing on the Sonny Bill Williams saga has been adjourned as the Bulldogs work through the final documentation on a reported $750,000 settlement from his French rugby union club, Toulon.

A spokesman for the Bulldogs told AAP the settlement would be completed "within the next 24 or 48 hours" on a deal that would see the NRL club end legal action against the rugby league star, who fled Australia for France three weeks ago - only one year into his five-year contract with the Bulldogs.

"The final documentation is being prepared by our legal team," he said.

"We're in the final process and we should have it resolved within 24 or 48 hours.

"Once (the settlement) is resolved and we know it's all done, we'll be the first to come out with a statement."

The spokesman said the settlement would be announced in court within the next two days. He could not give an exact date or time.

Last week, the club's chief executive Todd Greenberg confirmed the potential settlement was "in the vicinity of" $750,000.

Sonny Bill Williams court case adjourned Australian Sport - Yahoo!7 Sport

vCash
    i just saw that it had been settled on foxsports news, without confirming the amount it is apparently more then reported $750,000
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 18-08-08 at 17:51.

Player
    vCash
    should have taken him to court

vCash
    thats just a bit of cash

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    it has been reported that SBW has had to pay the settlement out of his own pocket after the owner of Toulon wouldn't bail him out. But the settlement allows Williams to legally begin his rugby career.

I agree with bort, they should have taken him to the cleaners
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Anthony Mundine paid the $750,000 to the Bulldogs to free up his new mate SBW to play.

vCash
    the report i read hinted at that, but wouldn't confirm it
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    They showed Mundine on The Back Page (Fox) last night signing a cheque for 300k and said he needed to run around a few banks to get the lot. Wonder if it's a loan? He should be OK if it is. They reckon SBW's word is his bond.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast