Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WNC in the News

vCash

WNC in the News

More shameless agenda-pushing:

Western Suburbs Weekly- Footy Favouritism Fear

There's also a facility to leave comments on the page.

Got to say, I'm still unimpressed with the Stadium Taskforce line (they were interveiwed after us, so could directly address the points we raised).
    In response to Telstra Dome not being reconfigured for the test in June, they replied "but this is different, it's swings in on all four sides" (BTW, occured to me this morning- presumeably that means the goal squares will be messed up in addition to the wings that get messed up at ANZ and Telstra???), completely avoiding the point at hand (i.e. sacrificing optimial view for rugby patrons for the needs of footy)
    In response to not being likely to move the stand every week for S14, we got the intention to maximise it's use.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Swee_82; 13-08-08 at 10:48.

vCash
    Nice one Swee.

It would have been nice if they allowed right of response to the goverment claims. $456 million for 35k upgrade + corporate facilities. The New Carisbrook, around $120 million from scratch, absolute bullshit figure by the government.

vCash
    Bump.

Starting to get some comments. A few more wouldn't go astray

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Good job guys!

Not quite the spin on the story I thought they could have used to best explain what we are all about, but the publicity for our cause is great!

Just thought I'd point out what he missed:

-The point about the Telstra Dome game, how it was a Test Match and the stands didn't move, so when he put the point to the stadium guy, the answer really didn't have anything to do with the point we were raising and he got away with it.

-Instead the article raised this: "Unlike Telstra Dome, the Subiaco stadium will use a hydraulic pivot -system to modify all four sides of the oval and create a rectangular field within eight hours."
    8 hours of conversion means that fans will just be booted from Subi sooner and games will be played at awkward times so as the conversion can be done the day before an AFL game.

-He didn't make any points about expanding S14 and possible NRL which will add to scheduling dramas and the resultant increase in the need for conversion of the oval/rectangle.

-Nothing about how 15m from the touchline (if we're lucky to even be in rectangular configuration)is still dodgy! Being 'better than Subi' does not make it good enough because Subi is such a long way from being what we need.

-How 25-30k people in a 60k stadium would be crap.

-How the corporate and undercover seats are still effectively in "oval" format.

-As for the stadium guy's responses- they have "the intention of maximising it's use"- all the intention in the world ain't gonna help us, we need action not intenetion and we all know that if anything happened to a footy player because of damaged turf fromt he reocnfiguration, rugby would be to blame.

-The $456 million price tag would have to be for a whole new stadium, not upgrading MES, especially after the Town of Vincent's recent proposal stating that they would need far less for an upgrade.

Last edited by laura; 14-08-08 at 14:21.

vCash
    Looking at this wondering if we are to diplomatic - Needs to read more like "Western Force Games will kill the Pitch for the Eagles"

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Top effort Andy, Tragic, Swee & Jargan

vCash
    Great picture too!

vCash
    Give him a call Swee, the election was called since you did the interview wasn't it. Tell him that the government hinges on about 4 or so marginal seats.

4 marginal seats with a bunch of rugby fans in the that I can name off the top of my head are Wanneroo, Joondalup, Bunbury and Riverton. There are a bunch of others, but what are the chances that out of 8832 signatures 2687 live in those electorates?

Why aren't the major parties announcing that they will release the funds to build a dedicated rectangular stadium?

C'mon the

vCash
    Why is Jargs wearing a dockers shirt?

Glad to see that there is some light being thrown on the stadium debate. Is this going to influence the discerning WA voters in the upcoming state election, apart form the marginal seats that GIGS mentioned?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Why is Jargs wearing a dockers shirt?
    Thats pretty low dude. They did beat Port Adelaide the a few weeks ago though

Most of the election talk seems to be on health care and law and order so far, havent seen alot of TV news though. Apparently the Liberals are waiting untill after the olympics for most of their policy announcements
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    They did beat Port Adelaide the a few weeks ago though
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well played Jargs.

At the moment, the stadium issue is only being played out between individuals and the candidates they're contacting.

We can only take Bary at his work that the Libs were close to finalising their policy on this- as Jargs mentioned, there's about as much time for real news (as oppossed to real important stuff like interviewing Myrtle, Eamon Sullivans' grandmother) as there normally is for Rugby so there's not alot of policy announcements going on. If they were looking to annouce something 'helpful' in this area I cant imagine it would be until they could get some decent play out of it.

Who knows if it will have any influence- the timing of the election goes way beyond standard political cynicism- I doubt half the electorate has noticed they're suppossed to vote in 3 weeks- maybe it's just that I live in a 'blue ribbon' safe seat, but I haven't had any election material arrive yet- I've seen the odd ad for Carps on perthnow/thewest but that about it.

vCash
    i've been carpet bombed with propaganda since before it was called. I live in a new seat due to re-distribution of electoral boundaries so that might be the cause
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 15-08-08 at 13:33.

vCash
    All I got was a leaflet from the Labour Party talking about how Alan Carpenter has been the best thing this state has ever seen. Including his 26 BILLION!!!!! dollar infrastructure program. I mean if the stadium is only 1.1 billion of that what the hell else has he blown our money on?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Rail Line???

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Fiona Stanley hospital, Waterfront Project 2 desalination plants, A ferris Wheel......the question was a bit rhetorical Flame!

I was making the point that his infrastructure programme is characterised by being expensive, unwanted and ineffective!

That's not tlike Labour at all, they usually spend about three times as much money as we can afford building infrastructure the electorate has been screaming out for!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast