Poll: Where Should A Captain Play??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Captains

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Captains

After watching the last few games I have started to think about where a Captain should play. This is not about who the Captain should be, but what position should they ideally play.
    Rutchie McSquark was in the Ref's ear all night, nearly as much as Greagan use to be.

Where and why would you like your Captain to play.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    i like the captain to be a mobile player, like a winger so he can bring up some mobility and influence the team to run the game more

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Forwards win games - backs only decide where the party is afterwards - Needs to be 8 down like Eales, Sharpie, Smith, Waugh, Woods, O' Callaghan, Mc Caw...

Disastrous captains of late - O'Driscoll (13)

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    A captain's job is to direct his team, but he should not give up playing well for that.

Come to the dark side

We have milk and cookies

vCash
    hmm, thats a good question.
    a captain cant be the kicker - that the wallabies have discovered.
    i would say 1st receiver is out as well, too much responsibility.

i dont think 9's generally make good captains because they have the responsibility of supplying ball at the breakdown to establish the set piece and the general offensive plays, they also have the responsiblity of deciding which way the ball is to be played. and how fast they want the ball to be played. as well as controlling the forwards around the breakdown, telling them what to do and where to be, george was an amazingly talented player, and there isnt many like him.

i would think the front row is out, because they have to concentrate on binding correctly, and if they are fast enough, protecting the breakdown, starting the set piece and taking out the opposistion 1st receiver.

fullbacks generally have a lot of responsibility, but i think they could do it. as they are behind the play and are able to see it developing several phases ahead. so they can watch the players running towards them on attack, or when the ball is in the air. so they could possibly judge where they are going to run after that take the ball - shouting instructions on the way to the take attempt.

wingers - same reasons as fullbacks. but i'm not ruling them out as possible captains.

the pros and cons for flyhalf, inside and outside are possible reasons for why they could be captains if they are needed to be. as they can control the play and swing it after it has come from the halfback.

generally any player COULD be a captain, as long as they have broad shoulders and have the respect of the playing group. and are able to communicate the team's posistion to the ref if needed to in the game. they need to be able to tihnk on their feet, and observe the whole game, not just the areas of it that concern their posistions on attack and defence.

i'll go back in my box now

vCash
    Attended a Level 2 coaching session with John Mitchell and he reckons usually a 7, 9, 10 or 12 would be captains. But most of all, the captains chosen must lead by example, have respect of all the team and also is able to communicate well with both referee and players. He needs to pull everyone up when they're losing and give them some hope to play with.

vCash
    Greatest Wallaby captain ever so far played lock, "Nobody".

vCash
    9 or anywhere he plays well.

9 because he is between the backline and the forwards, and at scrum time he can 'talk' to the ref ala George Gregan style.

Anywhere he plays well, because if he is good at his job, he should be able to command the team from anywhere on the field and still do a good job playing his position.

vCash
    Probably the back row, are loose enough to be involved in large parts of the game around the field and understand enough about the tight play. Back being the captain are just silly I think, I don't rate Mortlock as captain what-so-ever. George Smith should be the next captain.

vCash
    whoever can talk the clearest with a mouthguard in.

vCash
    Captain = a coach on the field; so ideally you'd want someone who can see the entire field, and has a thorough understanding of any particular situation in a game, and is mature enough to deal with the referee.. Naturally, you'd think an 8, 9, 10, maybe 12... but.. it doesn't have to be.. How's that for taking up precious internet space without saying anything conclusive at all?? I need to go now, I know my spine's here somewhere, maybe I'll find it soon..

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    Some one who can make decisions under pressure and take kicks to win Bledisloe cup games. "Nobody" was the greatest captain I have ever seen for the Wallabies. Martin Johnson was the best I have seen for England for a long time as well. Ryan Jones is doing an excellent job for Wales. Can anyone see a trend forming here?????

vCash
    Their last name should start with J?

vCash
    Assuming that the player displays the qualities of a captain as mentioned by several earlier posts I call 9, They never shut up anyway, they're already in the ref's ear all game, they already direct the forwards most of the time and they do take part in the decision making for the backs, even if it's only deciding the first reciever play by play. The 9 is already doing most of the job of the captain, which is why a good 9 makes a good captain.

That being said, with the advent of leadership groups, vice captains and all that other malarkey, you might want to spread the load a bit in which case, the number nine will always play that role, give the responsibility to somebody else. in that case I'd say a 7 who's generally in the play all the time and a good person to lead by example (either with a big run or fiercely contesting the breakdown)

I'd reckon the back three would be the one's I'd avoid for the captaincy unless they were somebody really special, they're just not close enough to the play much of the time if they're doing their job right!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Their last name should start with J?
    What about "Nobody"? His doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast