0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    haha
    Yes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Watch this space for an update on both the Twenty20 cricket challenge & the rugby next week......I'm currently en route to the UK. Em & I are heading down to Newcastle for a few Ales!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    show off
    Hehe - I held off the temptation to gloat about the fact that we were going to be there... but I'm glad to see Jedi gave in...!!!

It's fair for you all to be jealous of Jedi, but I've not seen a Force match since March '07, so I reckon it's my turn!

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    Em - if you can scan in the program and give us the heads up on where Mitchell reckons these guys should be playing ! Pleassssssssssee

ENJOY

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Em-Forcer View Post
    Hehe - I held off the temptation to gloat about the fact that we were going to be there... but I'm glad to see Jedi gave in...!!!

It's fair for you all to be jealous of Jedi, but I've not seen a Force match since March '07, so I reckon it's my turn!
    Oh i'm not jealous of you Em seeing as you live up there
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    haha
    So you agree then???

If you don't, what team has a better back line??? I'd like to know.

The Reds don't even come close. For the next couple years I'd probably say Barnes over O'Connor. But that's about the only Reds player who could get a game with the Force. Once O'Connor has a few years more experience even Barnes might not be good enough. Now you guys don't even have Moore...man the Reds are going to suck next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    11 Mitchell
    10 Giteau
    12 O'Connor
    13 Cross
    14 Staniforth
    15 Shepherd

this could be the best back line in world rugby next season.

haha
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    So you agree then???

If you don't, what team has a better back line??? I'd like to know.

The Reds don't even come close. For the next couple years I'd probably say Barnes over O'Connor. But that's about the only Reds player who could get a game with the Force. Once O'Connor has a few years more experience even Barnes might not be good enough. Now you guys don't even have Moore...man the Reds are going to suck next year.
    Oh, you were actually serious? Cmon now, the best backline in WORLD rugby, without one player who is the best in their position. Sure they're all decent players.. but

Giteau < Carter
    O'Connor < Barnes, Tahu, Brett, DeVilliers, Nonu...
    Cross < Mortlock, Staniforth, Smith...
    Staniforth < Turner, Tuqiri, Siviavatu, Rokococo, Habana, Ojo, the entire population of Fiji
    Shepherd < Latham, MacDonald, Jantes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

Oh, you were actually serious? Cmon now, the best backline in WORLD rugby, without one player who is the best in their position. Sure they're all decent players.. but

Giteau < Carter
    O'Connor < Barnes, Tahu, Brett, DeVilliers, Nonu...
    Cross < Mortlock, Staniforth, Smith...do you mean Tyrone Smith or is there another Smith I'm just not thinking of??? If you do mean Tyrone, hahaha, maybe in 10 years once Cross has retired, but not any time soon
    Staniforth < Turner, Tuqiri, Siviavatu, Rokococo, Habana, Ojo, the entire population of Fiji I'd take Staniforth over Turner, Rokococo and Ojo
    Shepherd < Latham, MacDonald, Jantes
    I notice that Mitchell didn't get a mention in your comparisons. Guess that means you think he's the best at his position.

The whole idea of the best team or group of players is that each of them might not be the best in their position, but if they are all very close, put together they could be the best lineup on the field.

Maybe it's a bit over the top to say best in the world, maybe I could limit it to best in Super 14, or best non-country. And obviously a lot depends on how well O'Connor does. But he did look great in those couple games at the end of this year. And in my opinion a lot better than Horne did in his few games. And all the rugby "experts" seem to think Horne is going to be the next jesus.

vCash
    Backline doesn't mean one player does it? Every backline has its weak links yet the Force backline posted has the least of which as the players are all good players.

So what's the problem?

vCash
    Conrad Smith

Missed Mitchell, he's at least quick, but still prone to stupid mistakes. I'd pick Siviavatu, Habana, and several others before him.

Staniforth is a quality centre, a better 13 than Cross I beleive. But he's not quick, and not a top wing. In the Lote mold of a strong line breaking winger, but not as strong or as line-breaking as Lote.

There are far better units in the Super 14 than this backline you've picked, and regardless of your backline quality it wont do much good when your forwards can't secure good ball.

Best domestic backline? Probably Toulon.
    Best Super 14 backline? Blues, on their day. Notable mentions from Hurricanes, Chiefs, Crusaders, Sharks, Stormers, Waratahs, Brumbies.
    Best Australian backline? Tahs of course, scored tries every week, unlike the Force who went a few weeks without any.

Horne is NOT the next Jesus, one Jesus at the Tahs is more than enough. Horne is a quality player though. 2nd quickest player in Australia, huge defence, plays above his weight. Hope he can stay injury free.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    So what's the problem?
    Mitchell - brain farts
    Giteau - he's awesome, shame he'll go to the Brumbies in 2010
    O'Connor - 2nd season syndrome
    Cross - consistant
    Staniforth - slow
    Shepherd - slow, fat, buggered knee

vCash
    Best Australian backline? Tahs of course, scored tries every week, unlike the Force who went a few weeks without any.
    10 Giteau
    11 Hynes
    12 Barnes
    13 Mortlock
    14 Tuqiri
    15 Shepherd

Bench:
    Cross
    Mitchell

Let's see....1 of 8....yeah the Tahs did well on first choice Wallaby selections.

The only reason the Tah backline gets tries is because your forwards play well as a unit and you've got the best half back in Australia.

vCash
    mate, the 9 is still part of the backline, you can't just leave out Burgess and Tahu cause it helps your point!

and what happened to "The whole idea of the best team or group of players is that each of them might not be the best in their position, but if they are all very close, put together they could be the best lineup on the field. " ? Now it's about the best in each position

vCash
    Mitchell - brain farts
    Giteau - he's awesome, shame he'll go to the Brumbies in 2010
    O'Connor - 2nd season syndrome
    Cross - consistant
    Staniforth - slow
    Shepherd - slow, fat, buggered knee
    ???

vCash
    mate, the 9 is still part of the backline, you can't just leave out Burgess and Tahu cause it helps your point!

and what happened to "The whole idea of the best team or group of players is that each of them might not be the best in their position, but if they are all very close, put together they could be the best lineup on the field. " ? Now it's about the best in each position

I never had the 9 in there from the start. I guess it is technically part of what is generally referred to as the "backline." But I chose to exclude it in this case and was just concentrating on the 10-15 positions. The main reason I left it out, is because I dont' really know who is going to start there for the Force next year. But O'Young or Valentine, still wouldn't make much of a difference to the quality of the backline.

Your argument about me talking group in one sentence and then individuals in the next is ridiculous. I mentioned group when you looked at each individual position and named players who were better at that specific position. Players you named were from a number of different teams. For instance you named Nonu but not a single other Hurricane player. So it makes sense that Nonu may be better than the single Force player, but the group of Force players are better than what the Hurricanes have to offer. Then I went to individual players when you said the Tahs group is better than the Force group. 10-15, is 6 players. 4 out of the Forces 6 made the Wallabies first choice 22. Only 1 of the Tahs did. Even as a group, do you think the 5 Tah players that didn't make the Wallabies are that much better than the 2 Force ones that didn't make the Wallabies to make up for the 4-1 playing for the Wallabies???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast