Thread: Roll on the Reds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Roll on the Reds

I'm suddenly feeling a tad more confident about this next match!
    Fair dinkum, if a mob of Queenslander redneck cattle molesters can get bored in a "cow town" then there is something very wrong! I am now starting to repress the memory of having supported them in the past!!!
    Seriously though, what a joke that they would even let such a thing be attributed to them in the press, just a true indictment of how crap their year is turning out to be and I have a sneaking suspicion that they will be reaching for the excuse book again by Saturday night.
    From professional athletes this is an embarrassment.

Cow town: Reds bored in Hamilton

Monday, March 6, 2006

The Reds have cited pre-match boredom in the New Zealand provincial city of Hamilton as one reason for their sub-par Super 14 performance against the Chiefs.

The Queenslanders slumped to their fourth successive loss last Friday night when the Chiefs proved far too strong with a 35-17 victory.

It was by far the worst showing of the season for the Reds who had won plaudits in prior losses to the Waratahs, Crusaders and Blues.

But they lacked intensity against the Chiefs and skipper Chris Latham pointed to the match day preparation as a factor.

While the coaching staff organised a game of tennis and Latham went for a walk, many of the other players spent their day in Hamilton in bed or watching television in the hotel.

"We had three very high intensity games at home and this was our first game away in what would not be the world's most exciting town," Latham said.

"There's not really that much to do and I think our preparation certainly was different to what individuals do to prepare here at home.

"If we were here in sunny Brisbane, there's a lot of things to do and a lot of places to go and get out and get motivated and get moving.

"Stuck in a hotel lazing around just counting the hours till we can get out and get playing certainly wasn't the best preparation."

Hamilton, 130 kilometres south of Auckland, is New Zealand's fourth largest city and like Brisbane a river flows through it - the Waikato.

Popular with migrants, the city boasts a population of about 140,000 and is host to the Waikato Museum of Art and Culture, which has one of New Zealand's best preserved Maori war canoes.

The lush and fertile Waikato region is a noted dairy farming area.

While the delights of Waikato escaped the Reds, they plan to do more to ensure they are better prepared when they head to South Africa for three Super 14 matches later this month.

"As a senior player group and as a management group we've got to make sure that, one, we've learnt lessons from that and we can move forward and, two, make sure the less experienced players and junior players are aware of what's required in preparation when we're away from home," Latham said.

Reds want revenge on Force

By Steve Connolly
    March 6, 2006

REDS coach Jeff Miller wants revenge on the Western Force for the grief the new Australian Super 14 franchise caused Queensland last season.

The Perth-based team led by former Reds Test lock Nathan Sharpe fronts Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night in a must-win game for the Queenslanders.

The Reds will go into the game without in-form back rower Hugh McMeniman, who is out for one match with a shoulder injury.peA loss to the Force will humiliate the Reds and burden them with the unwanted tag of Australia's worst Super 14 team.

After starting the season with four straight losses, Miller today acknowledged the Reds were under pressure to perform against the competition's cellar dwellers.

But Miller said the Force had given the Reds plenty of motivation.

Eight Queensland players joined the Force and the WA franchise's recruitment drive, which included announcing Sharpe's signing while the Reds were in South Africa, was a major distraction last season.

"I know from an organisational perspective we really want to perform well this weekend given the grief that was caused last year through the negotiation period right through Super 12," Miller said.

"Personally I'd like to see us win and win well."

Miller said the extra pressure this weekend could be a blessing for the Reds – disappointing last start 35-17 losers to the Chiefs.

"There is a fair bit of pressure and expectation on the team and I don't see that as being a bad thing," he said.
    "I think if you use it in a positive way, hopefully that will lift us to the level of intensity that we need."

The Reds have adopted a more low key marketing approach to the clash with the Force than they did when they hosted the Waratahs and former Queensland winger Wendell Sailor in game one.

"Big Dell sells – Sharpie ... there's not much to say about Sharpie," said Reds fullback Chris Latham.

Latham refuses to concede Queensland's season is sunk despite the 0-4 opening.

"The Crusaders have done it, I think Auckland went 0-3 and did it so there's no reason why the Queensland Reds can't do it," he said.

The Reds will decide later this week on the fitness of centre Julian Huxley who has a swollen ankle.

Regular captain John Roe, lock Mark Connors, fly half Berrick Barnes and halfback Nic Berry also need to get through training in the next couple of days to be considered for selection.

Former international Ben Tune and fellow winger Peter Hynes are available despite both just playing half a game for Queensland A during last Friday's 55-7 flogging from NSW A in Sydney.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Reds announce new major sponsorship deal with HBF and Elastoplast

"Reds back-rower Hugh McMeniman will sit out the clash with a shoulder injury, although a scan today revealed no significant damage.

Julian Huxley (swollen ankle) and Drew Mitchell (injured elbow) both look set to play but John Roe, Mark Connors, Berrick Barnes and Nic Berry will all need to pass fitness tests.

Backs Ben Tune and Peter Hynes both came through Queensland A's match against New South Wales A on Friday and will be avaiable for selection."

Spokesperson for Elastoplast, Y. Di Signe was quoted as saying at the launch in the foyer of the Royal Brisbane Hospital, "I know we're a multi-national company, but I just hope these boys don't send us broke in the first season!"

Meanwhile Ted was last seen canvasing for cheaper advertisment slots with Eddie McChins to cover a forecast blowout in recreational injury claims in the second half of the '05-'06 financial year.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    This is not meant as a negative comment "lads" but all I'm caring about is that we show some improvement and passion.......anything else is a bonus.

Go The Force

Just happy to be here

vCash
    This is my first post on the WholeForce. It's great to be able to keep in touch with the Force all the way from Harare. Thank goodness for DSTV - which shows more Rugby than any other TV station in the world!

Our season is pretty much on the line this weekend at Suncorp. A loss to the Reds and I fear that we will lose the little confidence we have left and end up being the cellar dwellers for 2006.

I'll be wrapped if we get over line in Brisbane. I reckon we're really going to struggle away from Subiaco especially in South Africa and New Zealand.

We need to win!

Zimbabwe will never be a colony again!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Just thinking about that first article about the Reds boredom in Hamilton. You have to wonder how much back room apolgising is going on this week. I am sure that the people of Hamilton wouldnt take to kindly to have their city labeled boring by anoyone let alone a touring Rugby side. This article may not be big news here, But I am willing to take big bets that this is front page news in Hamilton and the editorial comment in Hamilton and from the citizens of that city would be baying for some Queenslanders heads. I have to say its not the most diplomatic thing Chris Latham could of said and I am betting he has already had someone from QRU telling him exactly that. Chris Latham has been around long enough to know better then to say something as stupid as that.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Couldn't have said it better Exile, just plain stupid and pretentious from someone who should have known better.

If thats your best excuse for not having your head in the game then you don't deserve the 1/2 million + a year you get for playing.

Their are players that would walk on broken glass to play for the reds or any other S14 team.

I don't know what they would normally do the day before a game but usually a captains run is planned for the night before or early morning. You also wrap yourself in cotton wool to a degree, as you wouldn't want to have to explain a torn ligment or sprain from bungee jumping or something to your coach.

I can explain the many delights of Hamilton having spent some time there

Waikato River flows right through town - walk beside, Kayak on or jet boat over.
    Golf - Most golf courses per head of population than any where in NZ.
    Craft Breweries - Hamilton abounds in many micro breweries and tradition ale makers

but wait there's more

Waikato NZ

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

vCash
    Ben Tune decides to come back against the Force...
    If anyone remembers his return to the Super 12's last year I am sure you're not taking that as a positive sign for the Force.
    He was being spoken about as a Wallaby selection in the centres after only playing 3 games (and yes that was instead of Stirlo!).
    On the plus side because Berrick is out it means they have to continue with the rapidly decaying Elton Flatley at Fly Half... If he doesn't suffer from permanent brain damage before the season is out I will be one extremely suprised Force member, and you can add to that if he doesn't cause one of his team mates severe injury before the seasons out I will also be mighty surprised. He makes extremely poor decisions and his delivery is pretty ordinary and getting worse... Too many knocks to the head I guess. Dont get me wrong he can kick, but last time I checked you needed a little more than that to be a professional rugby player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent
    last time I checked you needed a little more than that to be a professional rugby player.
    Unless of course you're from, SURVEY SAYS.... "England"

Rookie
    vCash
    Eeewwww...
    Below the belt there - wash your mouth out!

Unless of course you're from, SURVEY SAYS.... "England

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Thats bewdiful!!!!

Oh my ribs.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    Unless of course you're from, SURVEY SAYS.... "England"

Zing!!!!!!!!!! Sage scores one right off the bat.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco