Thread: Wallabies must confront hoodoo: Waugh

vCash

Wallabies must confront hoodoo: Waugh

Recalled Wallabies flanker Phil Waugh believes Australia should confront rather than ignore their Eden Park hoodoo going into Saturday night's Tri-Nations rugby showdown against New Zealand.

The Wallabies have not won at the venue since 1986, losing nine straight matches at a ground where the All Blacks have not been beaten by any nation in 14 years.

In recent years, NSW has buried a number of similar hoodoos in establishing themselves as one of the forces of the Super tournament.

Waratahs skipper Waugh, who was on Tuesday promoted to the starting side for Saturday in the unfamiliar position of lineside flanker, wasn't shying away from the Wallabies' daunting Eden Park bogey.

"I think it's important to recognise it's a special challenge that we're being confronted with," Waugh said.

"Heading into this season there's numerous cups and games, going to New Zealand and winning games, and going to South Africa and winning, there's different challenges.

"This is our first big challenge."

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said he hoped Australia's long drought in Auckland wouldn't have an adverse psychological impact on his side.

He pointed out his team last week, which included eight players who had never turned out against New Zealand before, had not carried any psychological baggage from Australia's string of recent losses to the All Blacks and hoped they would carry a similar mentality into Saturday's clash.

New Zealand-born Deans reiterated he didn't expect a particularly warm welcome upon his return.

However, Deans emphasised he was no stranger to hostile receptions in Auckland, obviously referring to his time as Crusaders coach.

The normally cagey Deans did allow his usually reserved demeanour to drop for one moment on Tuesday when asked if there was anything that surprised him about the Wallabies.

"Matt Dunning's skinfold (test) surprised me, he was only 85, which is very respectable for a front rower," said Deans, drawing guffaws from the media at his Sydney press conference."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Forget the hoodoo, the Force could win in NZ and so therefore so can the Wallabies. They are a much better team and although it is a NZ game i really think that the wallabies can break this 'hoodoo'

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    i want them 2 win in new zealand but it would be even more special if they broke the all blacks winning streak there but hold on the springboks already did that

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    Forget the hoodoo, the Force could win in NZ and so therefore so can the Wallabies. They are a much better team and although it is a NZ game i really think that the wallabies can break this 'hoodoo'
    Remember there is only 2 Force players in the starting line-up. Plus we didn't win in Eden Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    i want them 2 win in new zealand but it would be even more special if they broke the all blacks winning streak there but hold on the springboks already did that
    This post should be deleted for sheer douche-baggery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Remember there is only 2 Force players in the starting line-up. Plus we didn't win in Eden Park.
    oh im sorry. but so? we broke that hoodoo, pretty sure that with this hoodoo we can break it too

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Good for them, not our fault the fixtures are the way they are. It was nice to see the saffers pick up their big bag of disappointment in Perth though. This is a pointless statement which is nothing more then "OMG Go Boks", i'm pretty sure theres a saffer forum for that rubbish.

Having not beaten the kiwis across the ditch since 2001 is motivation

Hoodoo's are made to be broken, there have been some big ones broken in recent years, I have no doubts that this one can be broken as well.

Shame it's still only wedensday, i am very much looking forward to saturday
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Hoodoo's are made to be broken,
    And they'll have their "lucky" Kiwi with them.

The harder I work the luckier I get

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    "Matt Dunning's skinfold (test) surprised me, he was only 85, which is very respectable for a front rower," said Deans, drawing guffaws from the media at his Sydney press conference."
    The machine must of been broken or he was sucking it in big time!!!!

ALL BLACKS - STRENGTH OF 15

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Remember there is only 2 Force players in the starting line-up.

Just shows how good the Wallabies must be then. The Force were the best Aussie team for most of the year.