Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I may follow Gaz: Thurston

vCash

I may follow Gaz: Thurston

I may follow Gaz: Thurston

July 23, 2008

DUAL Dally M Medallist Johnathan Thurston admits he could follow Mark Gasnier and take up a big money overseas offer.

It has emerged that Thurston had been the target of a French rugby raid last year but the North Queensland skipper claimed he had first heard of the offer when he read a News Limited story on Sunday.

However, Thurston confirmed the European big bucks would be tempting when his contract expired at the end of the 2010 NRL season.

Gasnier shocked the NRL when he recently announced he would defect to French club Stade Francais on a reported $1 million a season deal, following a contractual wrangle with the Dragons over third-party sponsorships.

Thurston said more would follow if the NRL did not re-think third party arrangement for marquee players.

Under current rules, an extra $150,000 can be spread over up to six players without affecting the salary cap - but no more than $50,000 can be allocated to a player.

I may follow Gaz: Thurston - NRL - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Could we be seeing the dismantling of League as we know it? I sure hope so, we'd certainly win every world cup with the mungo talent playing our game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Could we be seeing the dismantling of League as we know it? I sure hope so, we'd certainly win every world cup with the mungo talent playing our game.
    If you watch shows like the rugby league footy show you can see they are worried about it. League was gone in this country until state of origin saved it, hopefully with the player drain nothing can save it now. It will have to come crawling back and dissolve back into Union, then we can say we told you so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    If you watch shows like the rugby league footy show you can see they are worried about it. League was gone in this country until state of origin saved it, hopefully with the player drain nothing can save it now. It will have to come crawling back and dissolve back into Union, then we can say we told you so.
    They have the depth to cover this. Every star that is lost just means another one is found. I don't know how many of you have been to the Eastern States lately, but League is the code of Rugby that dominates. Even when i was in Queensland for the Reds game in April you could have been forgiven for thinking that there was no Rugby game on that week

vCash
    Yeah unfortunately I know how big it is over there still. Hopefully the player drain will put more interest into Union. I still don't know why there are two codes anyway, it must be the only sport which is like this.

vCash
    Yeah unfortunately I know how big it is over there still. Hopefully the player drain will put more interest into Union. I still don't know why there are two codes anyway, it must be the only sport which is like this.
    Player defections to a Foreign League with no TV coverage won't do anything. If the player defection is going to attract interest of Mungos supporters it would have to be local competition where the mungos could go down and watch.

The codes are seperate, the basics are the same get the ball over the try line, but they are different games altogether these days

vCash

I wouldn't like to see RL dissappear, but what you are talking about would be an upside, at least.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    we'd certainly win every world cup with the mungo talent playing our game.
    Basicly BLT admits that Rugby League talent is better with that statement. I see a problem for union if they have to keep raiding League for players in the longterm
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 25-07-08 at 00:09.

vCash
    I still don't know why there are two codes anyway, it must be the only sport which is like this.
    Pretty sure you do know. .

American football also has two codes.

'Rugby not for NRL forwards' - Western Force Rugby Supporters Site

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    One of which referred to itself as the Canadian Rugby Union until the 1950s... Now that's confusing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Pretty sure you do know. .

'Rugby not for NRL forwards' - Western Force Rugby Supporters Site
    Yeah yeah I know all the history of the split I just meant that soccer and GAYFL and every other sport I can think of doesn't have an ugly relative that branched of and is called something like soccer league where the rules are completely different to the main game. Although GAYFL did start with gaelic football which is slightly similar but thats another can of worms all together.

vCash
    i understand that alot union fans don't like league but i don't understand why you hate a game based on something that happened over 100 years ago??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    i understand that alot union fans don't like league but i don't understand why you hate a game based on something that happened over 100 years ago??
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I hate the game because it's shit!!! Not something that happened 100 years ago.

Why do I have to keep defending Union on a rugby union site???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    It has emerged that Thurston had been the target of a French rugby raid last year but the North Queensland skipper claimed he had first heard of the offer when he read a News Limited story on Sunday.
    In other news, Thurston is looking for a new agent..

vCash
    I hate the game because it's shit!!! Not something that happened 100 years ago.

Why do I have to keep defending Union on a rugby union site???
    I don't remember asking you to defend it?? Its your opinion that it's shit and your welcome to it. I enjoy both games
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 25-07-08 at 09:55.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast