Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G&GRs First Bledisloe Test Player Ratings

vCash

G&GRs First Bledisloe Test Player Ratings

With so many great performances across the park for Australia, this was a tough one. The 6-7-8 and 9-10-12 combos fought evenly for honours in which group swayed the game the most, but what a dilemma to have eh?

15 Adam Ashley-Cooper From nervy and out of place last week, to star 15 in the making. What a turn-around. His pinpoint high balls had the kiwis on the rack and his never say die tackling was gutsy. Most impressive though is the acceleration and swerve he can inject in open play. Very Latham-esque 8

14 Peter Hynes - Another good game, came looking for work off his wing to pick up the toed through try from Tuqiri 6

13 Ryan Cross, Might not have the same power to take defenders with him like Mortlock does, but has more outside gas which he showed once or twice. Also has the knack of scoring tries, which is a good knack to have 6

12 Berrick Barnes, considering his size, the most devastating tackler in the Wallabies. He cut Nonu in half more than once and turned up with try-savers when needed. Kicking was a little predictable in the first half, but deadly in the second. 8

11 Lote Tuqiri, this guy is sh1tting gold bars this year. Intimately involved in 3 of the 4 Wallaby tries and put the first big hit on Muliaina to set the tone for the match. He's easily two yards quicker than last year. However, did come in on his man too early a couple of times. 8

10 Matt Giteau, all doubts as to whether this guy is an international 10 were put to bed on Saturday. 5/5 place kicks, a drop goal off his wrong foot, a golden pill to Cross and sledgehammer tackles. I still don't know how he made some of those 50m touch finders. Missing one or two big tackles a game (Carter & Sivivatu) but still gets G&GRs Man of the Match. 9

9 Luke Burgess, Almost flawless passing this week with the same speed of delivery that made Cowan and Ellis look like club pro's, (whichever time of the match it was they decided to come on or off). Took high balls and is covering the hole behind the ruck like a sledgehammer. Nailed Nonu, Thorne and Lauaki to name a few. 8

8 Wycliff Palu
    , what a time to step up to the plate. Finally showed us in a crunch match what he'd been doing all year for NSW. Bulldozed through their gain line in the toughest of situations, most notably setting up Horwills try. Also loving the solid link with Burgess of the base 8

7 George Smith
    , the guy's a legend. Dominated the break down on Saturday just as he did the week before. I think they took the AB 7 Braid off just because the guy had been made to look too silly by Smith. Was too good for the ref Joubert to keep up with and was the only Wallaby who seemed to be able to tackle Sivivatu, notably around the bootlaces. 9

6 Rocky Elsom, yet another stellar performance, and this week with a buggered foot. How many 6's could have played 60 minutes and still be able to slice open the AB defensive line from a standing start and then do an in and out on Muliaina to score untouched? Did miss Sivivatu a few times (who didn't though). Will be hard to replace next week 8

5 Nathan Sharpe, Nothing spectacular from Sharpe, but showed fantastic ball security when carrying in the heaviest of traffic 6

4 James Horwill
    , another guy with the happy knack of finding the try-line, is that 4 tries this international season? Showing great rugby nouse (cunning) as well, this week with the call "I've got Rocky!" as he stood in the AB defensive line and pointed at Elsom who scooted past for a try. Interestingly stayed on the pitch when Sharpe went off for Vickerman 7

3 Al Baxter, It's taken him a record number of caps for an Aussie prop, but I'm happy to say he had a great match. Scrum pretty much worked, he did a power of work in defence and is probably the best counter-rucker in the team 7 (yes, I meant seven points)

2 Stephen Moore, Throwing combinations still working well, which is probably what's keeping Polota-Nau on the bench, so far. 5

1 Benn Robinson, Looks like he's been playing internationals for years. 6

Replacements:
    16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Matt Dunning, 18 Daniel Vickerman, 19 Phil Waugh, 20 Sam Cordingley, 21 Timana Tahu, 22 Drew Mitchell.
    Only Waugh and TPN made much of an impact. Waugh immediately with a turnover and his usual torpedo tackles. Yet to see what Tim Tam and Mitchell have to bring

19 - Sione Lauaki, A master-stroke by Ming the Merciless! 10

Rating system:

10 - A legendary performance to go down in the history books
    9 - Man of the match worthy performance
    8 - Outstanding
    7 - Good game, great in parts
    6 - Solid performance
    5 - Average - ho hum
    4 - Below par
    3 - Had a bad game
    2 - Tell your story walking pal
    1 - A complete joke

LINK

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Excellent piece Matt. Can't argue with any of those ratings. I think the coach probably gets an 8 for game plan, instilling self belief and good subbing. Who is likely to get Elsom's spot?

vCash
    bam bam????

vCash
    12 Berrick Barnes, considering his size, the most devastating tackler in the Wallabies. He cut Nonu in half more than once and turned up with try-savers when needed. Kicking was a little predictable in the first half, but deadly in the second. 8

Agree with most of your assesments apart from Berrick. I thought he had an outstanding game. Tackling was devastating. Despite his lack of size, he knows how to make a tackle hurt. OK he had one not so good kick in the first half but overall I waould rate hime one point higher at 9

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Excellent piece Matt. Can't argue with any of those ratings. I think the coach probably gets an 8 for game plan, instilling self belief and good subbing. Who is likely to get Elsom's spot?
    Brownie?

vCash
    I would give Lauaki a 10 for being a stupid Islander with no hands!!! Cost us the game with a few of his mates!!

ALL BLACKS - STRENGTH OF 15

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Henry cost you the game...

vCash
    that stench of failure seems to have stuck to Graham Henry
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    He can do so much , once the boys run on the paddock its HTFU or let someone else who wants to put the effort in, play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL BLACKS - STRENGTH OF 15

vCash
    Great ratings G&G.
    I agree whole-heartedly with this week's. MOM is spot on

Rocky Elsom's replacement, I bet will be Brownie; he's in the squad, he's been training with the team, he has a more mongrel than the likes of Pocock and he cut on the big stage. If necessary he can jump in the line-out and McMeniman can be on the bench if they need another jumper.

I'd love for BamBam to make it to the team but i think captaining the Force, on tour, is a much better option for him at this time in his career. After all he needs experience at captaining if he's going to take over the Wallabies job some day

vCash
    Gagger, the more the season goes on, the more I like your ratings. I even agree with Trestle getting the seven, shame it took him so long to learn how to play on the international stage....now let's hope he remembers it!

As for MOM, I can understand your dilemma, Like some others I would've given Berrick the 9 and that leaves you the choice of about 4 nines for MOM....My call give it the the 10-12 channel, that interplay between the two of them was the clincher and Really Berrick's couple of stuffed up kicks were balanced by Gits getting his head on the wrong side of the tackle a couple times. You'd think Sammy the schnozz would've sorted him out with that one, but apparently he doesn't remember that one.
    Shared MOM for me.

As for Rocky's replacement Phil Waugh with Brownie on the bench.

McCaw'd have to be shitting bricks with us naming three fetchers in the side and Robbie's shown the propensity to use those four guys around the backrow pretty loosely. I'd reckon that's the way he'll go!

C'mon the

vCash
    Good write up Gagger, have to agree with most of your ratings. Haven’t had a chance to look over the game since Saturday, so I’m going off a fairly sketchy memory here.
    Missed about the first 15 minutes I think cos of stupid plane delay, so unfortunately missed Crossy’s try but was really impressed by what I did see, especially in the first half- more than adequate fill in for Stirlo. I reckon he’s benefiting a lot from playing outside Gits in S14, he always seems to know where to be to take advantage of whatever Gits pulls out.
    I’ve got to say, I’m really loving watching Lote’s game at the moment- he really does seem to be bringing something I haven’t seen in seasons passed- definatly seems to be a yard or two quicker, the run to set up Crossy’s try and the toe for Hyne’s was great- if he could just keep his mouth shut I may well be on the Lote love-train (ewww…. Feel like I need a shower after saying that)
    Gits and Barnes- loved watching them, especially some of the tackles these two put on, considering their size.
    Finally saw some of the Palu-style I’d been hearing about all S14 and am keen to see more. I’m a big Rocky fan, so obviously biased, but again, left nothing on the park- we’re going to miss him this week.

vCash
    Regarding who will get Elsom's spot, I reckon Hugh McMeniman will be starting at 6 with Phil Waugh on the bench. Waugh doesnt give a lineout jumping option and i think Robbie sees him more of an impact player off the bench. Hugh has been pretty stable at consistent when he came on last week against the boks. But who knows, i hope Brown will get a chance to prove his worth, but i have a feeling Robbie might see him more of an 8 than a 6.

vCash
    I suspect Smith will go to 6 and Waugh to 7. Smith while not overly tall does manage to take his fair share of lineout ball by being crafty, often picking up the long throw etc.

vCash
    i dont think that we will see the Wallabies with Smith and Waugh starting together again..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast