Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 'Rugby not for NRL forwards'

vCash

'Rugby not for NRL forwards'

'Rugby not for NRL forwards'

By Iain Payten

July 24, 2008

WITH the exception of big Queenslander Petero Civoniceva, no current NRL forwards could cut it in rugby union and most backs would find it tough going as well.

That's the verdict of cross-code defector Timana Tahu, who offered some frank opinions on the union-league debate currently raging in football.

Despite Mark Gasnier's recent switch to French rugby, Tahu said the idea all league players could chase a payday and comfortably swap codes is off the mark.

"It's not true at all. There are arguments over rugby league and rugby union at the moment, but it is not easy to crack union, it is very hard," Tahu said.

'Rugby not for NRL forwards' - Rugby - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Petero Civoniceva and Ben Kennedy would have been great signings in their prime (and both with union backgrounds)...

vCash
    as was Rocky Elsom

vCash
    Tahu is one smart cookie, not that it is not obvious and all.

vCash
    Sunny Bill would be a good union player

vCash
    If you have a lot or bit of union back ground OK, but other wise NRL as nothing to offer our beloved game . Tell me if i am wrong but they did split into two codes KEEP IT THAT WAY

vCash
    Ryan Cross?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Ryan Cross played rugby union before as a youngster (If you have a lot or bit of union back ground OK,)

vCash
    oh really? my apologies.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    If you have a lot or bit of union back ground OK, but other wise NRL as nothing to offer our beloved game . Tell me if i am wrong but they did split into two codes KEEP IT THAT WAY
    Booo the Northern Union. In 1895 they decided they wanted players to be paid so they broke away and formed the Northern Rugby Football Union. Slowly they started changing the rules the Northern Union later changed its name to the Rugby Football League in 1922.

You know when you're a kid and there's things in the house that you weren't allowed to discuss well in my house it was league. In South Wales it still gets called that Northen Union by the older generation and they always say it with a gruffish voice.

It's like not being allowed to know what smoking is and then you break free and try it one day and find out it is shit and makes you sick, hang on that's what rugby league made me feel like.

vCash
    I think Tahu is really finding it hard, and it's great that he's honest.

Champion
    vCash
    well done tahu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    In 1895 they decided they wanted players to be paid so they broke away and formed the Northern Rugby Football Union.
    Actually, ( I'm sure someone with your knowledge of this subject would know this ) they did not want to be paid for playing Rugby. Some of the Northern teams form the coal mining areas of Yorkshire & Lancashire had players who were supposed to be at work on Saturdays and they wanted to be able to compensate them for the loss of wages. What I'd love to know is whether some of the Welsh miners also wanted the same fair outcome. In any event the Southerners, who mostly didn't need to work Saturdays, controlled the RFU and screwed 'em over. Wouldn't want some of those hard case miners playing against their boys.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The story of the split is a fasinating one. It's a good thing Union is professional now given the mining boom in WA!

I think there are a number of leaguies that would make good Union players although I can't think of one that would, currently, make a good internation union forward. Brad Thorn has been the exception but his 13 man game was very different to his union game. The likes of Sonny Bill have been talked about as loosies but given the speed of union now none of them would cut. It is a very different sort of fitness. There are no 'breaks' for forwards today.
    Outside centres and wingers are the most likely positions as the skills and explosiveness required are similar.
    Leaguies cannot cope with rucks (initially anyway).
    Ricky Stuart is probably the best convert (the other way) that I can think of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Actually, ( I'm sure someone with your knowledge of this subject would know this ) they did not want to be paid for playing Rugby. Some of the Northern teams form the coal mining areas of Yorkshire & Lancashire had players who were supposed to be at work on Saturdays and they wanted to be able to compensate them for the loss of wages. What I'd love to know is whether some of the Welsh miners also wanted the same fair outcome. In any event the Southerners, who mostly didn't need to work Saturdays, controlled the RFU and screwed 'em over. Wouldn't want some of those hard case miners playing against their boys.
    I think that sums it up pretty well... I believe the final straw came when the RFU tried to stop the northern clubs from charging admission to their games.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast