Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 'Rugby not for NRL forwards'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    We've been having this little public private discussion across a few threads, having a bit of fun, without really hijacking any of them. Why should you spoil the fun. Everyone nows Victorians know stuff all about the history of the two codes. So butt out, you bloody party pooper.
    P### off you opinionated mungo, I was trying to diplomatically interject to get a point across which was actually on topic.....now on witht he pointless arument!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Very enlightening gentlemen. Thanks for all the French history stuff, fascinating.
    Not sure if that's sarcastic or serious

Actually, Wycliff Palu was a St George squad member - they gave him the flick cos they though he was too big...

Last edited by beige; 25-07-08 at 15:41.

vCash

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=beige;154240]Not sure if that's sarcastic or serious

Not sarcastic at all. I think the history of both games is very interesting, the French/Nazi think was something I was not aware of.
    You must be on the defensive due to Gigs!

vCash
    Shhh

vCash
    (Booo the Northern Union. In 1895 they decided they wanted players to be paid so they broke away and formed the Northern Rugby Football Union. Slowly they started changing the rules the Northern Union later changed its name to the Rugby Football League in 1922.) Well Welshman i came from the coal mines as a coal face worker, pulled from the Colliery team and went on to play for Nottingham in the premier Division. This was in the 70s i trained after doing a full shifts work down the mine, i played on Saturdays for no money and although allowed to play with the permission of the Coal Board received no wages. We use to get a pair of boots each season and that was our payment although on occasions we were slipped a pound by one of the Directors. So that blows your payment out eh? Boo

vCash
    I'm a bit late to this discussion but there was a doco on ABC a while ago, it was about the split to Union and League and the subsequent rivalry between paid and unpaid players.

It was pretty good, but I can't find the name of it just yet...
    Here are 2 other ones they had that were good too:

There was one called Rugby In The Seventies, which "tells the tale of how the Wallabies were transformed from a team of easy-beats at the start of the decade to being the side capable of playing the most exciting football in the world."

Another one was called The Rise and Rise of Australian Rugby There are a few verions available, the Bledisloe Cup and The Grand Slam

Last edited by laura; 25-07-08 at 19:16.

vCash
    ^ Cheers laura.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    You must be on the defensive due to Gigs!
    GIGS the hitman!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    (Booo the Northern Union. In 1895 they decided they wanted players to be paid so they broke away and formed the Northern Rugby Football Union. Slowly they started changing the rules the Northern Union later changed its name to the Rugby Football League in 1922.) Well Welshman i came from the coal mines as a coal face worker, pulled from the Colliery team and went on to play for Nottingham in the premier Division. This was in the 70s i trained after doing a full shifts work down the mine, i played on Saturdays for no money and although allowed to play with the permission of the Coal Board received no wages. We use to get a pair of boots each season and that was our payment although on occasions we were slipped a pound by one of the Directors. So that blows your payment out eh? Boo
    Whats your point? I wasn't the one that decided players should be paid and started the northern union.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    P### off you opinionated mungo,
    That'd be me.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    (Whats your point? I wasn't the one that decided players should be paid and started the northern union.) No just pointing out not ever one sold out for money from the mines thats all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    (Whats your point? I wasn't the one that decided players should be paid and started the northern union.) No just pointing out not ever one sold out for money from the mines thats all
    I must be missing something here. When did I say that every miner sold out for money? All I said in previous posts was that the Northern Union broke away from the RFU because it wanted it's players to be compensated for missing work on Saturdays to play. That was just the history, I wasn't there in 1895 when it happened.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3