Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Italy to bid for World Cup

vCash

Italy to bid for World Cup

Italy to bid for World Cup

July 22, 2008 - 11:29AM

Italy will bid for the Rugby World Cup in 2015 or 2019, the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) said on Sunday.

"At the moment we are waiting to have the documentation (from the International Rugby Board) with which to make our bid official," FIR president Giancarlo Dondi said in a statement.

Italy to bid for World Cup - rugbyheaven.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i was in italy in the first week of RWC2007, all the pubs showing the rugby were packed out, so there is a large supporter base over there amongst tourists and locals , and they have the stadia as they'll use the rectangular football pitches......

vCash
    a problem with that would be the fact that the RWC is in October-November and that is when all the major European Football Leagues are going such as Serie A and B, both the Champions League and the UEFA Cup. I don't know whether they would be against it or not. But it is great to see non-traditional Rugby nations bidding or at least thinking about it.

Surely Japan would still be interested??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    a problem with that would be the fact that the RWC is in October-November and that is when all the major European Football Leagues are going such as Serie A and B, both the Champions League and the UEFA Cup. I don't know whether they would be against it or not. But it is great to see non-traditional Rugby nations bidding or at least thinking about it.
    Just re-arrange the tests and we'll be sweet, play the WC in June-July when the football is off. The NH will be on break anyway and we can simply play a cut down tri nations before or after the WC, no worries.

Although France DOES play football and they didn't have much of a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post

good point BLR!....

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    think of all that Vino,Fulvio are you a starter?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'll probably be dead by then....

vCash
    Never been to Italy - could work - not a fan of their pizzas though - they need Dominios

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    i was only in rome this morning, and personally i wouldnt like the game to go there, the locals are to bloody rude and the city is to grubby..

send it to japan or australia

vCash

Thank you for the update BLT, i had no idea that France played football.

My main point was that Football would dig their heels in, i don't know what the stadium ownership is like in Italy, but i do know that alot of the big European clubs either own or own a controlling percent of the bigger Football grounds. Were alot of the grounds in France that were used for the RWC shared or were they primarily Rugby grounds. Also the offloading of games to Wales etc would have helped the French get around any possible conflicts with Football
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Thank you for the update BLT, i had no idea that France played football.

My main point was that Football would dig their heels in, i don't know what the stadium ownership is like in Italy, but i do know that alot of the big European clubs either own or own a controlling percent of the bigger Football grounds. Were alot of the grounds in France that were used for the RWC shared or were they primarily Rugby grounds. Also the offloading of games to Wales etc would have helped the French get around any possible conflicts with Football
    I would suspect that a deal could be made. Football authorities aren't a-holes like the AFL, they know they are the most popular sport and they have loyal fans so won't be shitting bricks over fans possibly liking another sport. Football is so huge in Europe it would be pointless denying Rugby access to their grounds, as it is a easy way to make a bit more money, bring in tourist dollars and if the football season is still ongoing it could add more fans to their football teams on the days rugby isn't being played.

If we could play a World Cup in Australia with the AFL a-holes then not many other places would have a problem.

I look forward to going to watch the Wallabies playing at the San Siro!

vCash
    I would suspect that a deal could be made. Football authorities aren't a-holes like the AFL
    You would be surprised, arrogance isn't confined to the AFL. the Glory got upset because a few ARC games were played at MES. They will be concered about the surface, but hopefully they won't realiset it till it's to late. But if the IRU is keen on hosting the event they would probably be in negotiations with whichever football associations/clubs early on, put an attractive enough proposal on the table and they will fall faster then one of their footballers
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    My main point was that Football would dig their heels in, i don't know what the stadium ownership is like in Italy, but i do know that alot of the big European clubs either own or own a controlling percent of the bigger Football grounds. Were alot of the grounds in France that were used for the RWC shared or were they primarily Rugby grounds.
    Most of the stadia in France were shared grounds...

In Italy, I believe that the stadia tend to be controlled by the municipality (which is why you see running tracks around a lot of them).

I wouldn't be unhappy to see a RWC there.

vCash
    don't get me wrong, i wouldn't be unhappy to see a RWC there either, just pointing out possible obstacles. I think it would be a benefit to the game for it's showpiece event to go outside what would be termed traditional Rugby nations.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    i think it would be possible to host it in Italy, i just dont think it should go there, somewhere like Japan or like Jargan said, one of the more traiditional rugby countries is more deserving.

Problem with Japan trying to host one, if we see it go to them, then Australia wont be able to host one for another 8 year after that. The IRB will be reluctant to have in another timezone from europe for consecutive tournaments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast