Thread: Farr-Jones in Wallabies Hall of Fame

vCash

Farr-Jones in Wallabies Hall of Fame

Australia's first Rugby World Cup-winning captain Nick Farr-Jones has been voted into the Wallabies Hall of Fame.

The champion halfback, who played 63 Tests from 1984-93 - including 36 as captain - will be officially inducted at a ceremony before Saturday night's Tri Nations and Bledisloe Cup Test between the Wallabies and All Blacks at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

Farr-Jones will become the 13th member of one of the game's most exclusive clubs, joining Ken Catchpole, Mark Loane, Sir Nicholas Shehadie, David Campese, Mark Ella, John Hipwell, John Thornett, Col Windon, Sir Edward "Weary" Dunlop, Tom Lawton junior, Tom Richards and Cyril Towers.

Farr-Jones was part of a golden era in Australian rugby, featuring in the 1984 grand slam team, the 1986 Bledisloe Cup-winning side in New Zealand and leading the Wallabies to World Cup glory with victory over England in the 1991 final at Twickenham.

He is the second player to join the Hall of Fame this year, following Sir Edward "Weary" Dunlop's entry last month.

A third Hall of Fame announcement will be made in the days before the third Bledisloe Cup Test in Brisbane on September 13.

To be eligible for inclusion in the Wallabies Hall of Fame, a player must have played at least one Test for Australia, been retired from rugby for at least 10 years, demonstrated outstanding ability, sportsmanship, commitment and character and made a major contribution to their team and the game in their era.

"It's obviously a great honour for me to be included in such an illustrious group," Farr-Jones said.

"When I think of the likes of the previous inductees - Sir Weary Dunlop and what he achieved in life, not just on a rugby field but of course his endeavours in life, it's a tremendous honour for me.

"And I greatly appreciate what the Australian Rugby Union have done in honouring me this way and the committee that selects it."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    well deserved Nick

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    As above

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Good on ya Nick. definitely a worthy recipient