Thread: Springboks target danger-man Giteau

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Springboks target danger-man Giteau

By Justin Chadwick
    July 17, 2008 SOUTH Africa flyhalf Butch James has identified Australia playmaker Matt Giteau as the danger-man in Saturday night's Tri-Nations clash in Perth.

Giteau's dazzling man-of-the-match performance against France two weeks ago in Brisbane was a timely reminder of the task confronting the Springboks at Subiaco Oval.

Such was Giteau's dominance during that match that James said the Springboks would rely on a total team effort to curb the 25-year-old's influence.

“You have to use your teammates around you to help you ... it's really difficult,” James said.

“He's a really good player and a tough little guy. You've really got to keep your eye on him all the time on attack and in defence he holds his own really well.

“He just knows when to have a go and when to let the ball go, so he can spot a weakness in defence. He knows when to take a break, he knows when to kick and his decision-making is right up there.”

James, who has 30 Test caps to his name, said he was looking forward to matching up against Giteau.

“It's always good to judge yourself against the best and I think him and (Dan) Carter are the best,” he said.

South Africa have made four changes to the run-on side that posted a memorable 30-28 win over New Zealand last week.

Centre Francois Steyn, No.8 Pierre Spies, and fullback Conrad Jantjes have been recalled to the starting XV, while Schalk Brits has been promoted to start at hooker in place of the suspended Bismarck du Plessis.

Australia will no doubt keep a close eye on Steyn, who famously kicked the winning field goal in South Africa's thrilling 22-19 Tri-Nations victory over Australia in Cape Town last year.

South Africa coach Peter de Villiers remained tight-lipped when asked how the Springboks would target the Australians.

“That is our bedroom business and we don't want to discuss our bedroom business in public,” de Villiers said with a smile.

But James made no secret of where he believed the game would be won and lost.
    “It's part of our game to always be physical and it always has been the South African game plan,” James said.

“The Australian pack are pretty physical themselves so I'm pretty glad I'm not in the forwards this weekend.”

De Villiers was more open when queried about Australia's performances under new coach Robbie Deans.

“That (their win over France) was a typical Wallabies side,” de Villiers said.

“They kept the ball for almost 12 to 14 phases. They wear you down and their execution is always brilliant.”

The Subiaco Oval encounter will be the first Test Australia has played under the experimental law variations but de Villiers dismissed suggestions the Wallabies would struggle to adapt.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    WOOOOO go boks!!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    if Butch James knocks out Gits, he is in serious trouble when i rip out my chair and throw it at his head.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Honestly, who doesn't threaten that they will target Giteau? I'm sure he pays as much attention to the threats as he does to the number of stripes on a zebra crossing.

vCash
    its a bit hard to rip a chair out FA!!
    i dont want him 2 knock gits out..that will be bad..just play rugby

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Contributor
    vCash

yeah yeah - like every other team that plays against him

Last edited by Happy; 18-07-08 at 08:58.
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Gee, what an exclusive.

Could always hope "Get Gits" is all they have on the whiteboard down at Yarpie central.

Lara, it might be hard to rip out a chair (or bench as the case my be) but if those Boks hurt Gits I reckon we just might be able to do it!

(Riot! Riot! Demolish Subi etc)

vCash
    anyone who knocks gits out has me to answer too... be warned sckalk!

butch is going to have rings run around him by gits on the weekend, and he knows it!!!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    if gits gets knocked out that will be bad
    or if any player gets knocked out
    but you cant knock schalk out

BOKKE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    if gits gets knocked out that will be bad
    or if any player gets knocked out
    but you cant knock schalk out
    ahahahaha watch me..

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    ahahah NO!!

BOKKE

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    oh no...we're in trouble now...they're gonna target gits! those saffers certainly are brilliant strategists

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I've read this before, it had Larkam in there though.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.