Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tuqiri, Palu & Sharpe return for Tri-Nations Opener

vCash

Tuqiri, Palu & Sharpe return for Tri-Nations Opener

The return to duty of Lote Tuqiri, Wycliff Palu and Nathan Sharpe highlight the Qantas Wallabies side that has been announced today for Saturday night’s Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series Test against South Africa.

The experienced trio are back in the starting line-up for the Tri-Nations opener in Perth after missing Australia’s 40-10 second Test win over France in Brisbane.

Tuqiri (knee) and Palu (shoulder) were ruled out of that match due to injuries that were sustained a week earlier during the first international against that opponent, while a groin injury suffered at training in the lead-up rubbed out Sharpe.

All three have trained freely this week since the squad assembled in Perth.

In doing so, they have convinced Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans of their fitness for the assignment ahead.

Deans watched Palu as he got through 50 minutes for the Manly Marlins in the New South Wales club championship at Manly Oval last weekend.

Tuqiri and Sharpe didn’t play club rugby, but both contributed fully during the final training of last week’s three-day camp at Manly. Neither player has shown any inhibitions from their injuries during the Wallabies’ preparations this week.

“They’re all looking good and ready to go again,” Deans says.

“We needed to be absolutely certain that they were right, because the South Africans are going to be the most physical opponent we have played so far. By allowing them all time, we’re happy that they are at the level, both physically and mentally, that they need to be to play.”

The Western Force skipper, Sharpe has made a timely re-entry into the second row given that NSW Waratahs lock Dan Vickerman is still not quite ready to return to Test rugby after being troubled by an ankle complaint.

Vickerman will play club rugby in Sydney again this weekend to further his preparation towards a Test return. In the meantime, the versatile Queensland Reds forward Hugh McMeniman, who returned to the international arena via the bench in the second French Test, has retained his place in the match day squad.

Sharpe is looking forward to running out in front of an expected capacity - and he hopes exceedingly vocal - home crowd at Subiaco Oval.

“Western Australians are pretty passionate about their rugby, whether it is following the Force, or the Wallabies,” Sharpe says.

“All the boys are looking forward to playing at Subiaco again, and putting in a big one.”

Sharpe is one of four Force players to have made the cut, being joined by flyhalf Matt Giteau, and run on reserves Ryan Cross and Drew Mitchell.

Cross, this year’s Western Force Player of the Year, retains his place after scoring two tries off the bench in Brisbane. Mitchell steps into the spot vacated by his injured provincial colleague, Cameron Shepherd.

The bolter on the bench is Tatafu Polota-Nau, who has won a spot after making his playing return at club level last weekend for Parramatta.

Prior to that outing, the NSW Waratahs hooker hadn’t featured since the Investec Super 14 final against the Crusaders at the end of May, due to an injured hand.

“Tatafu offers genuine impact. His ability to carry could potentially be invaluable in the latter stages of what I’d expect will be a high tempo game,” Deans says.

“While he’s only had one club run since the Super 14 finished, the nature of his injury was such that he was still able to train, so his fitness base didn’t suffer too much. He’s also had two full weeks in camp which has helped bring him up to the level of the rest of the squad.”

Mitchell comes straight into the match day squad, after having made his return from injury with Australia A.

He offers many of the same attributes that the luckless Shepherd had provided, in terms of being comfortable both at fullback and on the wing, Deans said.

A feature of Saturday night’s match is that it will see ACT Brumbies flanker George Smith clock up his 87th Test appearance.

That advances him beyond the career tallies achieved by the legendary John Eales and Joe Roff, making him both the most capped forward in Australian history, but also the third most capped Wallaby of all-time.

Smith, who played inside centre for his Manly club last weekend, has swapped roles with Phil Waugh, who started two weeks ago, although Deans acknowledged that Waugh was likely to see game time.

Last year’s Rugby World Cup winner, South Africa arrived in Perth fresh from last weekend’s historic 30-28 win over New Zealand in Dunedin; its first win in that country for a decade.

“Their record speaks for itself,” Deans said.

“Historically playing South Africa has always been a massive challenge, and recent events have probably only added to the significance of this assignment, but it’s one that we’re excited about as a group and looking forward to.”

Six of the squad named today – winger Peter Hynes, inside centre Berrick Barnes, halfback Luke Burgess, lock James Horwill and run on reserves Polota-Nau and Cross – will be facing South Africa for the first time.

The eight members of the Qantas Wallabies Tri-Nations squad not selected will all play for their clubs this weekend.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play South Africa at Subiaco Stadium in Perth, on Saturday July 19 (6.05pm kick off, local), is:

1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
    2. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
    3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
    4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
    6. Rocky Elsom (NSW Waratahs)
    7. George Smith (ACT Brumbies)
    8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)
    9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    10. Matt Giteau (Western Force)
    11. Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs)
    12. Berrick Barnes (Queensland Reds)
    13. Stirling Mortlock (ACT Brumbies) captain
    14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (ACT Brumbies)

Run on reserves:
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
    17. Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs)
    18. Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds)
    19. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs)
    20. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds)
    21. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
    22. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)

Australia v South Africa in Perth – Historical Notes

This will be the fourth match between Australia and South Africa in Perth, following on from 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2005.

South Africa has won in Perth twice previously – 14-13 in 1998, and 22-19 three years ago.

Australia won 30-26 in 2004 while the 2001 contest was drawn 14-14.

Overall, the two countries have met on 65 occasions, with South Africa winning 40, Australia 24, as well as the one draw.

Prior to South Africa’s readmission to international sport in 1992, Australia had won just seven of the 31 matches played.

The scoreboard stands 17 wins to 16 in Australia’s favour, along with the draw, in the time since then.

South Africa has prevailed only three times on Australian soil since 1992; and just twice (both in Perth) from the 14 matches in the Tri-Nations era, which kicked off in 1996.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 16-07-08 at 10:05. Reason: Updated with full press release

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Great to have ya back Sharpie!!! and Drew aswell!!!

looks a good side .... bring it on Saffas, bring it on !!!

vCash
    dunning... on the BENCH!!!

im worried about fullbacks, but thank GOD turner isnt there...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

vCash
    lol sorry coach i thought i had to have the link there...

vCash
    YAY drews on the bench!!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    YAY drews on the bench!!!!
    i still think he should be on the field in a 15 jersey... but im happy bout the bench

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    How come Baxter gets to be in the first choice Wallabies front row?!?!
    STILL don't get it!!

AAC at 15 also worries me, but I can't see a better choice with Shep out.

vCash
    I really wished Brown could get his Wallaby debut in Perth. His time will come sooner rather than later I hope. Good to see Drew is on the bench and will hopefully get some game time, hopefully TPN will get more game time than Trestle or Donut. James Horwill's injury has obviously not been too serious, but I am happy that Peter Hynes is there, I'm excited to see him in full flight

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    With TPN being a hooker and all, I'm not sure what his effect presence is supposed to have on Donut/Trestle.

Oh to have some other front row options.....

vCash
    If Palu was still injured, I reckon Brown would have been given a go on the bench. But still quite happy with the squad.

AAC is definitely going to need to step up at fullback. Always thought he was more of an 12, but lets see how he goes at 15. I think Crossy will be great, he's had a great year against the Saffs. Drew has been pretty quiet all year, but i think he is a better choice that Turner. Lachie might have the pace to take on Habana, but he just isnt right for big matches like this yet i reckon. Mitchell might be slower, but a bit more reliable.

Hopefully we get to see a mitchell try, very much like the one Rathbone did a few years back. Good memories. I really hope the wallabies win, cos ill be sitting next to a whole bunch of saffa mates.

vCash
    Good to see Cross kept his spot..was predicting Tahu in at either his or Mitch's expence..still I think Tim Tam's a-knocking at the door and we will see him shortly. Pressure on Hynes this weekend (haven't paid too much attention), an if-ish game may make it easier to drop him out of the 22, move Mitch to wing and bring in Tahu onto bench with Cross for game against the ABs next weekend. Well, thats my two vCents.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    lol sorry coach i thought i had to have the link there...
    This article came to me as a press release which I am allowed to post in it's entirety...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wheres all the experts who reckoned Sharpie should be out of 22 or even on the bench???????

vCash
    1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs) Protect your eyes in the scrum.
    2. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds) Protect your eyes in the scrum.
    3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs) Protect your eyes in the scrum.
    4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds) Try not to lose your cap this week and get another black eye. Good first 5 minutes though.
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force) You little ripper, show em who's boss Sharpie!!
    6. Rocky Elsom (NSW Waratahs) Bit of a Rocky fan, hopefully no more fisty cuffs this week.
    7. George Smith (ACT Brumbies) I reckon he played better with dreads but he still does a lot for the team, a bit like Scotty Fava in that he does lots of little things that the team cant do without. Congratulations on becoming the most capped Australian forward.
    8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs) Browny Would have been great to see Browny's debut in Perth, but Robbie seems to know what he's doing so hopefully he's on the money.
    9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs) He's still got a bit to go before I'd say he is a world class player, but he's improving each game and should learn a fair bit this week from the Boks.
    10. Matt Giteau (Western Force) Another game like the last will be great, thankyou Mr Giteau!
    11. Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs) Eh
    12. Berrick Barnes (Queensland Reds) Would have rathered Crossy to get the starting spot, but he seems to have a huge impact off the bench so will still be good.
    13. Stirling Mortlock (ACT Brumbies) captain Massive Stirlo fan, hopefully he gets a try or two on the board.
    14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds) A bit indifferent about him still, have only seen him play a few times, but he seems to be improving.
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (ACT Brumbies) Not my favourite option, but I'm sure Robbie knows what he's doing.

Run on reserves:
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs) Will be good to see how he goes, especially after the hand surgery.
    17. Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs) Eh
    18. Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds) Prefer him being on the bench than Sharpie, reckon he's alright though.
    19. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs) Browny should have been here.
    20. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds) He's Coach's long lost twin.
    21. Ryan Cross (Western Force) Hopefully he keeps up the habit of running on for some meat pies.
    22. Drew Mitchell (Western Force) You little ripper, I had bets on for this! Would have rathered him in the 15 over Lote, but he's in the team and will soon be on Lote's wing permanently.

Bring it on!!

Last edited by laura; 16-07-08 at 14:30.

vCash
    im with you on the fullback thing laura. i have faith in deans. but i think aac is going to be ripped to shreds by perc-dog/janjties

drew will hopefully get on the field for some decent game time and show robbie who is boss though!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast