Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broadband connection problems

vCash

Broadband connection problems

OK you computer legends out there:

I have a Netcomm NB5 ADSL2+ modem router connected to a second phone point, the main phone point has a filter attached as per the instructions from the ISP who sent me the modem.

I have Windows XP Home OS NetComm NB5 connected via Ethernet, as the other option didn’t seem to work.

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 is the browser of choice, although I occasionally use Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.15. (in fact I'm on Firefox now)

Norton Antivirus installed.

Why is it that the modem connection drops out regularly? What are the possible reasons and what might be a solution? In the last month not a day has gone by without the fkn thing losing connection for some period of time. This is unbelievably frustrating and my ISP has no answer other than "turn the modem off, wait a couple of minutes, then turn it on again. This should work" Argh

In fact, while typing this at 9:45 this evening the connection has dropped out, requiring me to wait until now to post it.

If anyone has any way of helping I will be eternally grateful. You may have my first-born child, although I don't think she's gonna like that idea.....

Please? Anyone?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    have you tried airport instead of ethernet?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I have a 14lb sledge hammer that fixes problems like that very quickly

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    line filter???

vCash
    different internet provider and modem?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    have you tried airport instead of ethernet?
    Well, I went to the airport a month ago to fly to Canberra to ref....

wtf is airport?

Alternate answer: No I haven't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    line filter???
    That's between the main phone and the wall. That's where they said to put it. If I have one on the modem socket, doesn't that adversely affect the modem "signal"?

vCash
    Yup think it's just any other telephony (i.e. other than modem or router) which has to have the filter.

Are you able to log on to your modem settings? (you should be able to do this without being connected to internet, although it uses a browser window - you should be able to connect by typing the IP a/d of the router into the address bar of the browser)

If so, try doing a reset - as long as it doesn't delete any of your settings, so check instructions first! (For my modem [Belkin] it's effectively a reboot, doesn't change any settings.) Just avoid anything about 'factory defaults'!!!

The other thing you can try is amending your router's 'connection settings', so that you're using servers elsewhere in the world, where they're currently sleeping - I hop from Europe to America to Australasia depending on the time of day.

Generally, I suspect that router problems are more to do with how overloaded the phone lines are in your area, or how busy your ISP's servers are, than anything within your own four walls, but there may be greater geeks out there than I, who may know more/better...

I just worked out this was my 1,000th post! Some might say that this is highly appropriate, marking this milestone somewhere in the depths of the Geek Speak forum. Anyway, there it is!

Last edited by Em-Forcer; 09-07-08 at 00:33. Reason: Milestone!
    Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    These drop in drop out problems are often caused by line issues whic can be caused by other devices interfering, being too far from the exchange to support ADSL2, having something wrong with the phone lines (they may be good enough for voice, but fail with ADSL/ADSL2) or a combination.

Try disconnecting your phone (and filter) from the socket and see how it travels as the only device connected your phone lines at home.

If you are in ADSL2 mode, try configuring the modem and dropping back to ADSL1 - I've had to do this at home to get my connection stable - although I do still connect at 6000kbps.

If you like IE 7, Download Firefox3 and give it a go

vCash
    wow coach, how do you put up with only 6000kbps, here i am stuck on 32.9k dial up connection (on the home computer that is)
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    running any P2P programs? BitTorrent hurt my Netcomm NB5 bigtime. A hardware reset (press the little button in the back for 10 secs with a pin) which seems to fix it for a few days, but make sure you know your password to re-configure.

Otherwise jump over to whirlpool.net.au and have a look around/post there.

vCash
    Another thing to try - is to tempoarily connect your modem to the frist telephone point in the house - the one closest to the Telstra box - that way you eliminate dodgy wiring in the house - they are only 2 wires and they do become loose - espesically with kids/ husbands banging into things !

Then google ADSL 2 settings timeout things - and reconfigure your modem

Goggle your modem / model and firmware rev(basic software in the modem) - to see if there are any known issues - you may need to update the modem software - find a real geek for this operation if required.

Phase 3 is to borrow someone else ADSL 2 modem and see if that fares better - however the last thing to go wrong is the modem - more likely a dodgy connection between your house and the exchange.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    however the last thing to go wrong is the modem
    to quote from whirlpool...

Quote Originally Posted by antpugga
    That is your problem, I had one of those [NetComm NB5] and they are crap regarding multiple inbound connections so I ditched for my Billion 7402 L-m and had no problem at all and yes I use Bitcomet
    Quote Originally Posted by Parag0n
    Netcomm NB5's are pathetic. I used one for about 20 days, I had many dropouts. Read the Hardware Forum and you will find 1000 other threads with people having dropouts with NB5 while trying to use torrents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muad'Dib
    NB5's are junk, get a different modem/router

If you're using BitTorrent, then you can fiddle around with hard resets and try cutting the number of half-open connections etc... or just get a Billion.

vCash
    I'd simply tell the ISP support that what they suggest didn't work. Send a tech to my house and fix it. You pay them enough every month, have them fix it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yeah right Larry,we are talking about australia here,where yhe word "service" doesnt exist

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast