Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broadband connection problems

vCash
    i know a 500kg piece of steel that when dropped will do some extensive damage

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

This particular model however has issues when BitTorrent is running, apparently the large number of connections required for P2P can overload the NAT table causing the dropouts. That said, a hard reset can fix it for a few days..

It's a whole new lanuage - I know not what he meant - but it sounds impressive

Is there a modem out there for Ecky with a large enough table for the Nats to feast upon ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Is there a modem out there for Ecky with a large enough table for the Nats to feast upon ?
    That almost actually makes sense!

vCash
    LOL

I hope you are messing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    These drop in drop out problems are often caused by line issues whic can be caused by other devices interfering, being too far from the exchange to support ADSL2, having something wrong with the phone lines (they may be good enough for voice, but fail with ADSL/ADSL2) or a combination.

Try disconnecting your phone (and filter) from the socket and see how it travels as the only device connected your phone lines at home.

If you are in ADSL2 mode, try configuring the modem and dropping back to ADSL1 - I've had to do this at home to get my connection stable - although I do still connect at 6000kbps.

If you like IE 7, Download Firefox3 and give it a go
    I don't like IE 7 actually - the delay in loading up when first opening and then whenever you go to another site. I am on Firefox, but not 3. It keeps telling me when there's an update available.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    If you're using BitTorrent, then you can fiddle around with hard resets and try cutting the number of half-open connections etc... or just get a Billion.
    I have no idea what BitTorrent is, so I imagine I'm not using it.

And, while I'm at it, I know not what P2P is either

vCash
    It will be interesting to hear where Ecky got this modem from
    My ISP kindly provided it for signing on to their ADSL service. "Service", I should say. I've been with the same ISP for many years and saw no need to shift. I probably can't reveal that it's iPrimus, so I'd better not.

vCash
    It's a whole new lanuage - I know not what he meant - but it sounds impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    That almost actually makes sense!
    It did? really?

I seem to be out of my depth here - with BitTorrent and P2P and Nats feeding.

Seems the best way out for me is to either:

1) Get me a new modem that doesn't have NB5 written on it, or (and/or)

2) Get me a telephony man to look at the phone wiring where it's split to make sure it's some sort of splitter box, or a clean split, rather than some dodgy electrical tape keeping it all together.

3) Take up the sledgehammer offer.

Thank you all for the responses; I really hadn't realised just how geeky some of you are! In this case it's great! My faith in people has most definitley been restored by all of the replies - you're all fabulous.

:

vCash
    Peer to Peer is file sharing over the internet. If you're not using it to download stuff then the particular issue with the ND5 may not apply to you.

Considering the ISP provided the modem, you've got a pretty good case to follow up through their technical support. Have you spoken to their tech support?

They can usually run a few tests from their end, and are most likely familiar with this modem setup so can guide you through configuring it to work with their network.

Usually best to call early in the morning if you are - the one I worked on had large queues between midday and midnight.

vCash
    also, would be worthwhile trying an 'isolation test' - remove any other devices connected to the phone line (other phones, faxes, foxtel etc) and see if it still drops out.

vCash
    Ecky - what Mosses is telling you is that your modem has a problem with file sharing on Aussie Torents so when talking to the call centre you emphasis that this is what you are using the modem for - (the technical translation of this invovles a large number of Nats not bugs but Nats sharing some sort of table - this table gets over full and the modem crashes - I think !)

In short - Mosses is telling you that you will continue to have this problem if you keep using this modem - if you goggle your modem name and Aussie Torents you should find people with the same problem and their soloution

I to would like to thank Mosses for a most entertaining afternoon - the kids are fascinated that Nats are chewing through your chips

Good Luck Ecky

vCash
    not really TQO, as Ecky isn't using file sharing or any Peer to Peer downloading, it's more likely some other problem. Best bet is to remove other devices from the line, and if pain persists see your helpdesk.

vCash
    btw NAT Table = Network Address Translation Table

vCash
    Interesting to see who your ISP is Ecky. I too are with them, and I too are having the same issues. Nothing has changed here pc or program wise, but in the last month or so the drop offs have been happening more and more.
    Tried the line with a work lappy and nothing else connected, and it did the same.
    I know of three other users with iPr and they are having the same problem.
    Contact with them has been a waste of time as they want to know endless amounts of info on which lights on the modem are flashing at the time and how many times, that sort of cr--.
    The first I know is when my pc cannot contact the server, and by then it has happened.

Been with them 6 years but out of contract with them now, so maybe time for a change.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    we use amcom & have similar issues

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast