Thread: IRB North America 4

vCash

IRB North America 4

The IRB North America 4 Tournament, made up of all-star select squads begins this week as the USA Hawks (West Coast) take on the USA Falcons (East Coast.) Odds on favorites are Canada West. Check out: http://www.narugby.com for all squads, scores, etc. Also, the USA are sending a collegiate all-star team (with heavy Northern California representation-NOT that I'm biased) to New Zealand later this month. See http://www.usarugby.org - I'm sure it'll be a learning experience for the baby Eagles.. That website will also give ya details on the USA Women's team, which is doing pretty well -

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    How are the USA teams broken up?

vCash
    As I understand it, they are from the pool of Eagles players, including our 7s guys, divided by geographic union, more or less. I'm not sure exactly where East and West are split.. I like the idea behind this tournament, it provides all the potential Eagles with an opportunity to play more high-level games, and it gives the USA coaches a better chance to evaluate player talent. Collegiate players like Cal's Louis Stanfill (2007 RWC) are eligible for the Eagles, so guys like him won't be making the trip to New Zealand. Our national team is an odd mix of professional, collegiate, and semi-professionals - I'm hoping that one day we will have a Pan American version of the Super 14.... Canada, U.S., Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, etc...any multi-millionaires out there care to invest?

Last edited by thunderchicken9; 08-07-08 at 12:27.

vCash
    who's coaching the US rugby team these days and is there a few NFL players makin the switch or is the NFL money too irresistible?

vCash
    Scott Johnson recently replaced Peter Thorburn as Head Coach, Al Caravelli coaches the 7s side. There's been no crossover from the NFL. The crossover usually takes place at the high school level, sometimes non-scholarship college players will make the switch. You nailed it when you mentioned the $$$$$- it's an issue in college as well -free educations for great football players -not so for rugby at most schools - The only hope a U.S. rugby player has for decent money is in playing overseas, usually in Europe. There are a handful of Americans making a living there...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    As I understand it, they are from the pool of Eagles players, including our 7s guys, divided by geographic union, more or less.... I'm hoping that one day we will have a Pan American version of the Super 14.... Canada, U.S., Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, etc...any multi-millionaires out there care to invest?
    I was engaged in what I thought was idle ranting here the other day, but perhaps not so much as I thought - sounds like we may already be on the way!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I was engaged in what I thought was idle ranting here the other day, but perhaps not so much as I thought - sounds like we may already be on the way!
    So can I put you down for a few hundred thousand $$$$? If so, then I'd gladly suggest the team here in California be named "The Fightin' Andys!!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder how much it would actually cost and how you'd get the various unions talking? Soccer seems to have managed to take that jump to professionalism and national competition within the US, and there must be lessons to learn. The plus for Rugby would be the international element, but how you build that momentum...? Switching to summer would probably be a start to avoid that Canadian winter, but I reckon they'd be a good ally once on-board...anyone that has a link on their website for rugby pubs is obviously heading in the right direction!

vCash
    I think the key with soccer in the US is that they didn't try to be over-ambitious this time (unlike in the 70's)...

vCash
    AndyS: You're a forward-thinkin' guy, and those are interesting questions... Ya know, the typical sports fans here know a bit about rugby, most of them appreciate the physicality and athleticism, it reminds them of football and hockey..Americans love speed and collisions!! I think rugby could attract a good-sized audience, but the biggest obstacle is competing against the 4 major American sports for the fans $$$$: Fall is football, winter/spring basketball/hockey, summer baseball... Major League Soccer definitely benefits from the expats from Central and South America.. I wonder if Rugby could tap into the expats just as successfully..

vCash
    I wonder if Rugby could tap into the expats just as successfully..
    Possible - Munster seem to be doing well tapping into the Irish fan base over there.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ...the typical sports fans here know a bit about rugby, most of them appreciate the physicality and athleticism, it reminds them of football and hockey.....
    Fall is football, winter/spring basketball/hockey, summer baseball...
    So, if there was a pan-American Super comp in spring and summer, Union would be competing with basketball and baseball....do you think there would be much cross-over from the football crowd?

That would then leave the International leg of my rant up against football. It would lose, but at that point it does have the international element in it's favour. Wonder what sort of crowd you'd get for Fiji or Samoa (maybe even Japan, given the heritage) vs the Eagles if played in Hawaii.