Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies fans forced to change plans

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies fans forced to change plans

More than 100 rugby fans who purchased corporate packages from an unofficial provider for Australia's Tri Nations Test against South Africa in Perth will be forced to seek alternative arrangements following a ruling by the Federal Court today.
    Corporate Sports Australia Pty Ltd, which intended to bundle tickets into corporate hospitality packages, commenced proceedings against Australian Rugby Union over access to tickets for the July 19 Test at Subiaco Oval.

But the Federal Court rejected all of the orders sought by CSA, preventing the company from offering such packages and leaving 125 fans who had already purchased them in limbo.

the rest from the West....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Next time stick to official tours
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 03-07-08 at 07:41.

vCash
    roflmao like omg

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    a bit harsh....is it not just a big group booking? (expensive booking mind you)

vCash
    This is an injustice to the fans. I feel that compensation is necessary to accomodate for this.

vCash
    they may have been ripped off but can't they get their money back?? Maybe the ripped off supporters should look at chasing the company up instead of sueing the ARU.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I could be way off here, but shouldn't the ARU have a case to answer before the ACCC for anti-competitive behaviour?

I mean if a company can put together an attractive package that involves a rugby game, surely they should be allowed to do so provided they pay for the tickets to the game?

vCash
    I'd hazard a guess the ARU has sold the rights to organise tours and such and under the terms of that can't allow 'non-official' tour groups/ corporate groups in on the action.

As we know, there's alot of money tied up in the corporate side of the game and unfortunately the ARU need to protect the investment, or the offical providers won't want to fork out next year.

vCash
    i would assume that the ARU has deals in place with various different hospitality groups that would offer tours like this, possibly through sponsors and their shoot offs??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    no doubt they do, but isn't that anti-competitive? If it's a free marketplace then others should be able to compete...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    no doubt they do, but isn't that anti-competitive? If it's a free marketplace then others should be able to compete...
    No market is purely competitive, regulation stops harmful elements from benefiting, otherwise anyone could open up a radio/TV station without any need for a license, in this case they have to regulate what is sold to account for scalping etc.

vCash
    I don't see a problem with scalping either, but that's a different argument. It's not just the ARU but all events that take this approach.. I'm just not convinced it's right.

I think TV/Radio is a bad example - due to the limited bandwidth of the spectrum regulation is required to avoid someone sticking up a bigger transmitter on the same frequency at the expense of competitors. Plus they need to keep emergency frequencies clear etc. That said, there is competition for the licenses.

vCash
    i see a problem with scalping because it robs genuine fans a chance to see something they enjoy
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I don't see a problem with scalping either, but that's a different argument. It's not just the ARU but all events that take this approach.. I'm just not convinced it's right.

I think TV/Radio is a bad example - due to the limited bandwidth of the spectrum regulation is required to avoid someone sticking up a bigger transmitter on the same frequency at the expense of competitors. Plus they need to keep emergency frequencies clear etc. That said, there is competition for the licenses.
    I think it's a perfect example, they need to keep the tickets free for people who actually want to see the game, you used the example of someone sticking up a bigger transmitter a the expense of competitors. How about scalpers buying a whole load of tickets and selling it later at inflated prices effectively pricing many people out of the market. The ticket market will only get more regulated, look at the situation for Champions League finals where scalpers started selling people fake tickets and the fans who travelled many miles were turned away at the gates....

vCash
    I don't see a problem with scalping because it provides fans with an option to see games that are otherwise sold out, and provides fans who have had people pull out of tickets with a way to recoup some money from their seats.

The US has an evolved scalping market, which I believe works very well. If you can afford it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast