Thread: Giteau has flair of French masters

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau has flair of French masters

Giteau has flair of French masters

By Bret Harris
    July 04, 2008 MATT Giteau, the Australian with the French name, provides the Wallabies with their own style of Gallic flair.

While Giteau's great grand-father migrated to Australia from the south of France three generations ago, he has inherited the French gene which enables Les Bleus to play with panache and joie de vivre.

Former Test captain Simon Poidevin, the last Australian of French descent to play for the Wallabies, sees the French style in Giteau's play.

"There's a lot of Serge Blanco and Denis Charvet in the way he plays the game," Poidevin said.
    "He is a man with the blinkers off and the world in front of him. He is a very dangerous man, especially against tiring defences."

The Giteau (pronounced Jiteau in French) family does not know a lot about its French ancestry.

"We are a couple of generations Australian," said Giteau's father Ron, a former rugby league centre with Western Suburbs, Eastern Suburbs and Canberra.
    "We go back two or three generations to the French connection. My dad's dad is the old Frenchman. I haven't done the family tree. I've never explored it."

But Ron can also see traces of Gallic flair in his son's game.

"Matt has always had an awareness of the ball," Ron said.

"Without thinking about it, he just does it. He has an awareness of the ball and what to do with it. That's one of his strengths."

While Giteau is conscious of his French heritage, he is as Australian as a wallaby.

"All my pride and passion is for Australia," Giteau said.

"Obviously, wherever each individual is from you don't just wipe it. I suppose not too many people have the same last name, but that's about it.

"When I first went to France (in 2004) the journalists started talking to me in French, assuming I'd know something because of my last name, but they learnt very quickly I only speak a little bit."

Giteau can also see some semblance of the French attacking style in his own game.

"The way I like to play - not so much flair - I like to think I play a fairly low risk kind of game, but if the opportunity is there, I like to back myself and try something.

"Obviously, being smaller I need to be a bit quicker or be able to step, so from that point of view maybe I do that a little bit differently. And occasionally if I'm given a little bit of time to score I might do a big dive, but it's just the way I've always played."

Giteau has played against France four times, winning twice, including last Saturday's 34-13 victory at ANZ Stadium in Sydney, in which he scored a try.

He will line up against the French again on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

The French have made several changes, including shifting outside centre Francois Trinh-Duc to five-eighth to oppose Giteau.

"Again, you are not too sure what to expect," Giteau said of the French.
    "There were a couple of players who came off the bench who are now starting.

"They have moved their 13, who was originally a 10, to (five-eighth). So I think they are going to be a more settled side.

"We need to start a lot better than we did and we need to be more clinical in our execution, especially now that they've got a more settled backline. Players are in positions they are used to.

"He (Trinh-Duc) is more of an attacking 10 than they had before. He's got good feet and he likes to attack the line. Obviously, he is going to be a tough opponent. It's important we play some good rugby this week so we can take it forward into the Tri-Nations."

Giteau has played the majority of his 53 Tests at inside centre, although he has also been used at half-back in recent years.

But Giteau has played exclusively at five-eighth for Western Force and the Wallabies this year, which his father believes is his best position.

"It's a position he was always destined for," Ron said.
    "He had to bide his time. The more he puts his hands on the ball, the more he knows what to do with it.

"I like to see him running with the ball. At nine, it was just catch and pass and you knew he could do more. There is a new wave coming through with (Wallabies coach) Robbie Deans. I think we'll see the best of Matt."
    FOX Sports 3 is set for a huge double-header of live rugby on Saturday, as New Zealand and South Africa kick off the Tri-Nations competition live and exclusive from Wellington at 5.30 pm EST.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Surely all the garlic would be boiled out of him after 3 generations? His dad was a league player after all.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Harris View Post
    he has inherited the French gene which enables Les Bleus to play with panache and joie de vivre.
    So Git's is flamboyant and carefree? Not really a combination one would generally look for in a professional rugby player. Even Gits contradicts this with "The way I like to play - not so much flair - I like to think I play a fairly low risk kind of game"... Stick with english, Harris

I've obviously taken my grumpy pills this morning ....

vCash
    Jesus Christ, how many times do they have to butcher history and say Frenchmen are 'Gallic'!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ah the good old French Rugby Flair gene....what a crock Harris

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.