Thread: [B]Dingo Deans, NRL on common ground[/B]

vCash

[B]Dingo Deans, NRL on common ground[/B]

Dingo Deans, NRL on common ground

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans and NRL club bosses have placed Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek in a proverbial dutch oven over his slamming of the ANZ Stadium surface and claims his team must be treated as the most valuable commodity in Australian sport.

The Dutchman was tres miffed that two league matches were played in the space of two days ahead of last night's World Cup qualifier against China. "Only one thing is important - that we qualify for the World Cup," Verbeek reckoned. Oh reaaaally? "We are more than happy to support them and wish them well," Deans said. "But the world doesn't stop [for the Socceroos]. We all keep pursuing our own dreams." And this from South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson. "It didn't seem to help the Netherlands," he said in reference to Holland's 3-1 loss to Russia in the Euro 2008 quarter-final. "If Pim wants the perfect tabletop pitch he can have a stadium built for the four matches they play here a year. They play the Super League grand final at Old Trafford and Manchester United don't whinge about it. Get over it." And this from Bulldogs boss Todd Greenberg: "The FFA knew full well that three NRL games were being played over four days. I've got a few things on my to-do list at the moment. Looking after the Socceroos isn't one of them." And, finally, this from Dragons chief executive Peter Doust, who revealed stadium officials approached him the day before Friday night's match against Penrith about moving the fixture - but heard nothing more from them. "It's a bit rich to be calling on rugby league to move games. We're a hirer of the venue like everyone else," he said.

The new Crowded House
    Still on Deans, the new Wallabies coach has finally accepted his new nickname at a fan day at North Sydney's No.2 oval. When a punter asked him to autograph his Wallabies jumper "Dingo Deans", he happily obliged before remarking "That's a first." Of course, it makes us hope All Blacks fans will be uttering this after the Wallabies claim the 2011 World Cup: "A dingo stole my World Cup."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What the...?
    How does soccer become the most valuable commodity in Australia? Most of the players don't even live in Australia or play for a local team, they only come when there is a Socceroos call up. Im sure that Pim will blame Rugby for the loss last night, even though (correct me if I'm wrong) the Socceroos had already qualified for the World Cup!

Gotta love Aussie Rob!! Although why would the Kiwi's utter "A dingo stole my World Cup." when NZ doesn't have the World Cup for us to steal! The Springbok's do and I would love for them to say it though

Last edited by laura; 23-06-08 at 13:48.

vCash
    Union hasn't been played on ANZ this year yet, though there were two NRL games held earlier in the weekend- these are the realities of using one stadium for multiple games every week, even without the additional strain of constant stand reconfiguration- Please pay attention Messers Carpenter, Kolbeke etc!!!!!

P.S. I totally love that line- if there's an offical InnForcers tour for RWC2011, I vote that goes on the T-Shirt!

vCash
    [QUOTE=laura;145311]How does soccer become the most valuable commodity in Australia? Most of the players don't even live in Australia or play for a local team, they only come when there is a Socceroos call up.[\QUOTE]
    Because it is the most popular sport in the world. More immigrants are coming in and with the A League the perception of the game being for ethnics is becoming eroded. The A League in standard is pretty rubbish compared to Europe where most fans have a favourite team they support anyhow so Socceroos players not playing in Australia means nothing.

Expect more of the growth in the future, hopefully destroyign AFL of course.

vCash
    they can sell more tickets then ARU can as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I saw Verbeek crapping on about that on the News the other night. Wondered how long it would take to ark people up.

End of the day it may do us a favour as it highlights one of the the down sides of a MPS.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.