Thread: Some Oh by the Ways from North America

vCash

Some Oh by the Ways from North America

The USA Eagles seem to have taken another staggering step backwards, losing to both the England Saxons and Ireland A sides by large margins in the Churchhill Cup. What's most discouraging is that this Eagles team included several players from the 2007 RWC team that had competed pretty well. At this point, I'm left to wonder what the heck??? At least they'll get a few more chances to improve this summer against world class opponents - I suppose all that's left to do now is grab a beer and think it over some more...By the way, congrats to the Wallabies!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    I see USA much in the same way as Japan, they will compete alright but will never furfill thier potential until they start drawing away players from the sports that'll count, for Japan they need to get into the Sumo culture to get some huge forwards as props and huge players in general from other areas which in the US they need to get some of those huge NFL players...if they got a high profile NFL player coming over to play rugby union the popularity would surely skyrocket, think David Beckham times 10....

vCash

Wink

well said, i couldn't agree more. Rugby is such a great game; if more of us were given the choice, I think rugby would grow dramatically. Our biggest drawback is the lack of a truly professional competition stateside. Our best players compete overseas, which makes it difficult for fans here to follow.. One thing to USA Rugby's credit is that they have made progress in raising the interest level among kids from 6-18 years. I heard somewhere that the number of high schools offering rugby has doubled in the last four years. While this is encouraging, it's still difficult to compete against teams whose players have been playing rugby since the age of five... it reminds me of a line in a movie i once heard " even if you fall flat on yer face, at least yer still moving forward!"

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    " even if you fall flat on yer face, at least yer still moving forward!"
    Isn't that the truth! I have a feeling the USA is still a sleeping giant, though. Japan has come a very long way and there's no reason the US won't do the same.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David