Poll: When to leave the ground?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Disgust Discussed

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

My Disgust Discussed

I must express my extreme disappointment with the Subiaco crowd this weekend for being more interested in making a bolt for the bar than actually supporting the Force off the paddock.
    In the first match a few nearby people started to leave after the final whistle but most pulled up when it was suggested (somewhat forcefully I admit!) that their loyalties were a little questionable not to stay and clap the new team off on their first match.
    I understand that some feel that it is ok to literally turn your back on your team but I find it, especially from Gold Members who I am surrounded by, to be a bigger reflection on the ignorance of those leaving than the performance of the players.
    A highlight of the night for me was seeing Matt Henjak look up into the crowd to smile and clap when we gave him some encouragement. By all accounts he had had a mongrel of a night, he is a professional and he would have already known that, the last thing he needed for his confidence was the cold shoulder or a mouth full of abuse.
    If not from others, we were left in no doubt by Mitch at the start of the year that this is a long term project.
    I too was extremely disappointed with what I had seen during the match, but the day I walk out of the ground before my players do is the day I tear up (well ok, maybe cut up, it is plastic...) my membership pass.
    If the cap fits then wear it, if you too stayed to be a true supporter then I applaud you also.
    The last thing the Western Force needs at the moment is 18,000 fair weather supporters.
    Stick with your team or stay at home and watch it on Fox.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    what if they are not true supporters?
    what if it is just a night out with the boys each week?
    something to do in this boring, backward small city of ours?

are we still able to leave early or must we sit around watching an unattractive game of rugby in our small time that we actually have off for the weekend?

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I stick arround although I must confess I did leave sharpish after the whistle this last time due to unrelenting pressures.

Meow

Just happy to be here

vCash
    The only time I've left right on the whistle was one time when I took my GF (she's not my GF anymore though). A thrilling 23-20 victory and she didn't want to stick around in the slightest ("It's too cold!"). Usually I'll stay after the whistle, cheer the players off, etc.

I'll conceed there are "casual" rugby fans but surely they would stick around too or else they could just casualy watch it on television. Why make the effort to show up if you're not going to stay for the 80 minutes.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Most of the corporates didn't have a choice but to stay after the final whistle last week, well that was if they wanted their catered dessert!!

vCash
    i've always heard the final whistle at rugby or football.

i would only leave in extreme circumstances.

vCash
    I agree Burgs, I stood and waited until ALL the players had left the pitch, even if it meant waiting around for Sharpie who was being interviewed in the middle.

Even my girlfriend stood and waited and applauded the boys off the pitch, and it's only her second game ever..... she loves going to the rugby now!

You could tell some of the players appreciated it, now, that's supporting a team!

By the way, is anyone else making the trip over to Briz-Vegas for the Red's game? Or will I be a lone blue in a sea of Maroon?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    If I was fortunate enough to live in Perth - I would have Gold Membership, and I would stay and show my support.

Be interesting how the bandwagon is travelling at the end of this season and how many jump off.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hopefully enough so that I can get closer to the halfway line

vCash
    I don't know about down there. But in the US I believe that sort of thing happens more now because the cost of going to a game here is totally out of control. For example, I'm a big hockey fan if I wanted to take my wife and 2 kids to a game I'd spend: $80/ticket, $15 parking, drinks, snacks, souvenir for the kids. Over $400. It's not going to happen. So who buys those 4 seats? My company. Who goes to the game? My boss who's clueless to the game and 3 customers who just are there for free food & drinks.

Many of the true fans are home watching the game on tv because they can't afford to go. Or in the upper deck where the tickets are cheaper. The worst fans are always in the best seats because 80% of them didn't pay for the ticket and are there for reasons other than supporting the team.

Rookie Contributor spankytheking's Avatar
    vCash
    im used to it being a glory supporter and all. the shed will chant when it see's people leaving early. "your only part time supporters" and with the woeful season glory had alot of people left early, tho alot of people stayed to clap the players.

vCash
    I voted "get stuffed", but the only reason I leave early is because I have to get on the bike and be in Perth at 6 am the following day for a group training ride, the Saturday fixtures will probably be worse for me as I usually race on Sundays, hence no excessive drinking (and vomiting in public either)! If it wasn't for that though I would stay and clap the players.

You've got to remember that some people have other comittments and may not be able to hang around, much as they would like to. I wouldn't question their support too much. I am far from a "part time" supporter, I'm in for the long haul (as long as the wife lets me!!!)

We are TheWholeForce kin (try saying this really fast)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah Ponty, I have no dramas with those who have to go, my brother leaves us because he has to drive three hundred and fifty kms back home into the country night. So 1/8th of our group leaves early.
    There will be those who need to go for sure.
    The point I'm making is that it went from 20% to 80% in two weeks. There really would have been no more than 20% of the crowd stay in their seats to clap the team off.
    The vast majority of those who left would have been making a bolt for the pub or just meandering home for the night.
    My argument is the "game" doesn't end until the teams are off the park.
    Apart from specific circumstances it really doesn't gain you that much advantage to leave the couple of minutes earlier and when it comes down to it you (being the crowd as a whole) are doing your team a great disservice if they are actually spending the time to walk around the ground thanking everyone.
    At least wait until they have gone past your section of the stadium.
    Anyway, each to their own, I think most of us here are in basic agreement.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Seems pretty conclusive then if you consider the reasons for those who said get stuffed then?
    I would encourage all of you to try and set the example for the rest of the season to help ensure the Subiaco crowd offers the maximum support to our team.

vCash
    Definately a few part-time supporters out there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast