Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Strong Australia A team named for Pacific Nations Cup opener against Japan

vCash
    On the strengths of Sunday's performance, I'd hope that the under 20s return before we get too far through the PNC. We're going to get hammered by any of the bigger names if that's the best we can come up with.

There were some definite glimpses, but much of the game was pedestrian claptrap, punctuated by flashes of individual flair. Get rid of the "Reds for Reds sake" rubbish and pick the team as if you're picking the second best team the country can produce.

Hate to gloat in an injury but Lucas looked bad until he hurt himself.....even Norton-Knight looked better by comparison....I wouldn't think the Schnozz would be seriously considered as 5/8 save for injuries!

As for many of the other positions.......well the mantra is the same, just pick the best players and let them do their thing!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bit of a worry if we haven't got 44 fit International standard players over 20 though isn't Gigs?
    By International I mean down to IRB 20th type thing, not top 5.
    I think they should be picking a 24 man squad for the Wallabies each week and the balance become available for Australia A selection if fit.
    They wouldn't hesitate going the other way.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Bit of a worry if we haven't got 44 fit International standard players over 20 though isn't Gigs?
    That's pretty much my point Burgs, we're picking a team of nobodies and grandads rather than picking players who are fringe Wallabies.

I guess in that statement you'd include Tai McIsaac, even though I'd call him a fringe Wallaby at the moment, his age might work against him.

C'mon the

vCash
    Isn't Lucas a halfback though? Like what gigs said, i thought the backline looked so much better when Norton-Knight came on. I'd like to see Scott Daruda in flyhalf though and see how he goes.

I reckon most of the squad are not too bad a selection, just that the starting line up could definitely be twinged a little, ie Tyrone Smith at 12 and Morgan at 13. The backline looked impressive towards the second hald, but would struggle against better teams like Fiji and Tonga.

But regarding bringing players down from the Wallabies team, i think they're taking into account any injuries incurred during the games. So that we have a second player ready to slot into the position, who knows all the calls and moves and is comfortable with the plays, should any injuries happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    On the strengths of Sunday's performance, I'd hope that the under 20s return before we get too far through the PNC. We're going to get hammered by any of the bigger names if that's the best we can come up with.

There were some definite glimpses, but much of the game was pedestrian claptrap, punctuated by flashes of individual flair. Get rid of the "Reds for Reds sake" rubbish and pick the team as if you're picking the second best team the country can produce.

Hate to gloat in an injury but Lucas looked bad until he hurt himself.....even Norton-Knight looked better by comparison....I wouldn't think the Schnozz would be seriously considered as 5/8 save for injuries!

As for many of the other positions.......well the mantra is the same, just pick the best players and let them do their thing!

the majority of the team is from the Brumbies, so if your going to continue to whinge, then whinge about that.

FYI as well, historically, the Walllaby coach usually specifies to the Aus A coach where he wants players to play, he would have asked to have Tahu at inside centre and Lucas at 5/8, without trying to control the team to much they see it as a way to test players out in different positions.

If Australia were serious about winning the PNC then we would have a non-experimental team, and the Wallaby players outside the 22 would be coming over and playing for the Aus A team as well.

vCash
    TOCC: And is it not true Robbie didn't have as much as a say about this Wallabies squad because of his prior commitments to the Crusaders leaving the selections to let the various politicians to run wild?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    the majority of the team is from the Brumbies
    The crap parts aren't

'cept Julian salvi, he sucked out loud!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    TOCC: And is it not true Robbie didn't have as much as a say about this Wallabies squad because of his prior commitments to the Crusaders leaving the selections to let the various politicians to run wild?
    yes. well i doubt he could have put too much work into the selection of the Wallabies squad, though in saying that he would have done research on all the australian players before the Crusaders played them.

Without being to naive about it, im sure Deans would have had a pretty fair idea on who he wanted in the squad before the S14 season even finished. His assistant coaches would have been keeping tabs on the fitness and injury situation, as well as communicating with the s14 team coaches to find out more about certain players.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3