Poll: Would you get involved in a TWF Golden Oldies Team for Sydney '10?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: World Rugby Festival 2010 - Sydney, Australia

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Do you have to have played contact.....ever?

I've played several seasons of touch, but have never been tackled by anybody older than my under nines........I'd be keen to have a look at ti though and would make a final decision based upon how much I suck!
    You can be a Winger

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    My knees almost buckle out from under me walking to teh beer fridge!!

Can I be a 79th minute impact player coming in off the bench?

Does "No Impact" count as impact?

vCash
    My understanding of the rules are as follows - you get subbed off for any of the following:
    1: Any run greater than 15 metres
    2: Any Flash move be it scrum or even a good kick - even lifting in the lineout, a try is an instant fine for being cocky..
    3: It has been more than 15 mins since you had a drink

The objective is to give the older person a gallop - you have the right to be tackled or tackle if you want - if you don't want it or can't handle it you wear socks - for some reason I think they are pink - someone update these people on the rules - basically I would expect Burgs to come out of it wanting to play grades again a few others would be more interested in the more social aspects of the event....
    Please bear in mind that the oldest Golden Oldie player in Perth is about 80 maybe 90 now - if you are worried go down to a tournament and have a look - you will enjoy and maybe admire - it is incredibly social unlike Touch - which many take seriously.
    If you go down there expecting to win you will be sorely disappointed - the only winner is the barkeeper's accountant.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    basically I would expect Burgs to come out of it wanting to play grades...
    You may be surprised or disappointed TQ1

I'm a realist and, if not, shoot me first

My ever lasting memory of watching The Goldies Festival at Soaks back in the late 80's was one of the teams having a genuine coffin as their mascot propped up on halfway

From AGRO:

GOLDEN OLDIES RUGBY LAWS

The spirit of Golden Oldies, epitomised in the motto of Fun, Friendship and Fraternity is the central theme of every Golden Oldies Festival.

1. These Golden Oldies rules do not permit offside play, unsportsmanlike behaviour and have been designed to increase the enjoyment of the game while minimising the chances of injury.

2. The normal U/19 Laws of Rugby as per the International Rugby Board (IRB) shall apply with the following variations:

a) All 8 forwards must remain bound in the scrum until the ball has been cleared.

b) The half back must not follow the ball around the scrum

c) There must be no pressure scrummaging

d) There shall be no striking against the head by the hookers

e) Players may kick the ball only in their own 22

f) In lineouts all 8 forwards must take part

g) Teams scoring a try shall also restart the game by kicking the ball to the non scoring team

h) There shall be no supporting in the lineout

i) From a penalty there shall be no quick tap & all players shall retire 10 metres

j) Players wearing gold, purple, or special festival committee shorts may travel up to 10 metres with the ball before releasing

k) Substitution of any player is permitted at any time and a player substituted may return to the game at any time

l) Players must observe the offside rule, particularly that of remaining behind the hindmost foot rule at rucks, mauls and scrums, lineouts to a minimum of 10 metres.

m) The game shall be three 20-minute periods

o) All players are to observe the restrictions of tackling "older" players. These are identified by coloured shorts.

Coloured Shorts

• Up to 59 years
    - Club shorts

• 60-64 years
    (or any player who through medical or physical conditions does not want to be tackled)
    - Red shorts. Can be claimed, not tackled

• 65-69 years
    - Gold shorts. Not to be tackled

• 70-84 years
    - Purple shorts. Not to be tackled

• 85+ years
    - Special shorts will be provided by the Committee. Not to be tackled

Age Groups This may be a bit of a bugger for what we are planning

• Over 35 but under 40 in the year of the Festival
    • Over 40 in the year of the Festival

Captains will be responsible for the behaviour of their players. Other variations can be organised at the discretion of the captains providing they do not contravene Golden Oldies Laws.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Do you have to have played contact.....ever?

I've played several seasons of touch, but have never been tackled by anybody older than my under nines........I'd be keen to have a look at ti though and would make a final decision based upon how much I suck!
    i'll help you train mate hahaha

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps our Ambassador to Scotland (that's you Em ) can do a bit of field research for us: http://www.goldenoldiessports.com/go...estival_08.htm

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    I'm a bit too young and a bit too female, but I'm happy to organise the cheer squad for you!
    Golden Oldie cheerleaders anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Perhaps our Ambassador to Scotland (that's you Em ) can do a bit of field research for us: http://www.goldenoldiessports.com/go...estival_08.htm
    Cool! I should (just about) still be here!

And I'm happy to help out once I'm over in WA.
    In theory, I could help out 'virtually' while still over here, but in practice, I currently have a bit too much on my plate... whereas I hope to be on 'sabbatical' for my first wee while in Perth!

(Note to FS - that might not make me a 'busy' person, but hopefully I'll still be efficient )

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    I'm a bit too young and a bit too female, but I'm happy to organise the cheer squad for you!
    Or first Aid tent

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Burgs, I've never been on the Golden Oldies site. Glad they have psychic powers and are able to channel my thoughts. But it's all common sense really; and focus and discipline, at least at admin level.

Gig20, honestly mate you've got what it takes already, you don't have to have played the game at any level to be able to play G. Oldies.

You already understand the rules - sort of, like most of us , you are able to attain a basic level of fitness to be comfortable, and you want to have a go - nothing else required. It is not a competition, it is a festival of participation. No one keeps score and no one gives a rat's behind how good you are or aren't. You are respected just for being there.

It's a load of fun, even for the ladies. My wife has been involved in several tours with me, and what she knows or cares about rugby is negligible. But where it has taken both of us and the life long friends we have made through it has been unbelievable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    How much will I get paid to play?
    Personally, I'm currently in negotiations with a rich European GO franchise. However if that falls through, I'd be honoured!!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Burgs, I've never been on the Golden Oldies site. Glad they have psychic powers and are able to channel my thoughts. But it's all common sense really; and focus and discipline, at least at admin level.

Gig20, honestly mate you've got what it takes already, you don't have to have played the game at any level to be able to play G. Oldies.

You already understand the rules - sort of, like most of us , you are able to attain a basic level of fitness to be comfortable, and you want to have a go - nothing else required. It is not a competition, it is a festival of participation. No one keeps score and no one gives a rat's behind how good you are or aren't. You are respected just for being there.

It's a load of fun, even for the ladies. My wife has been involved in several tours with me, and what she knows or cares about rugby is negligible. But where it has taken both of us and the life long friends we have made through it has been unbelievable.
    OK I'll get my manger to begin contract negotiations immediately then (I'm available fo rthe over 40 age group!)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hey Fulv, in your travels is there ever a bending of the age brackets?
    I doubt we would have enough for a 35-40 team (though may be pleasantly surprised) and obviously that takes away from our overall Over 40's team.
    I thought somewhere I had read that (perhaps by mutual agreement?) you could have a couple of 35-40's in the squad?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd be in the over 40's team - but I still only promise 60 seconds of mediocrity!

vCash
    mabye you could be a cheerleader as well coach?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    My understanding is that it is 35 and over, up to any age. There are no age groupings within 35 and 100! But there could have been some changes in the last few years since I was last involved.... will have to check.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast