Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratu Nasiganiyavi

Rookie
    vCash

Ratu Nasiganiyavi

RATU NASIGANIYAVI is as hard to stop as his name is to pronounce. A cousin of Lote Tuqiri, the Fiji-born winger is the most sought-after player in either rugby code.

When he arrived at Randwick it took three weeks to find a No. 11 jersey big enough to cover his huge frame. Against Warringah last weekend he touched the ball seven times - and scored four tries.

It's little wonder there are already three Super 14 franchises and as many NRL clubs queuing up for the services of the man dubbed the next Jonah Lomu.

After watching him obliterate Warringah at Coogee Oval, Rabbitohs legend Bob McCarthy reckoned the 20-year-old would be a sensation in league.

"He's a big bugger. He makes Lote look like Danny DeVito," McCarthy said. "He's big. People will start getting some videos of him. Guys that big aren't normally that quick.

"He's got a step, too, which is unusual for a big guy. I'd like to see him against good defence but you can only play what's in front of you and he had it all. He's got a lot of skill. Put him on the end of a backline and he's a finisher."

Nasiganiyavi is the leading try scorer with 13 after eight rounds of the Shute Shield competition. Randwick head coach Mark Giacheri said comparisons with All Blacks legend Lomu were inevitable.

"Watching him on the weekend, physically and the way he runs on the wing, at times he looks like Jonah Lomu," Giacheri said.

"When he gets the ball one on one you'd back him to score a try at the moment. He's got size, power, skill. We're under no illusions that his next step will be at a higher level.

"The one thing I've noticed this year, if the opposition tackle him, the crowd cheers. If he scores, they cheer, if he drops the ball, they cheer, if he tackles, they cheer."

Nasiganiyavi was born in Sigatoka. At three months he moved to Queensland where his father, Isei, went on to represent the Reds. After struggling with injuries and form last season he signed with the Galloping Greens and his form has earned him an Australian under 20s call-up for the IRB Junior World Championship in Wales next month.

"Jonah was one of [my idols]," Ratu said. "I'm obviously far away from where he is, but to be compared to the likes of him is enormous. I grew up wanting to be like Jonah but I've got a long way to go to reach my potential."

Tuqiri, with whom he grew up, is another inspiration.

"Me and Lote are pretty close," he said. "Nobody knew I was related to him till I started playing good footy."

Nasiganiyavi's manager Steve Gillis said Ratu "could be anything".

Read more...

A 190cm and 126kg winger :O

any chace of pulling on a jumper without a super 14 cap?? Worked for gits lol..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    HE CAN REPLACE LOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Wasn't he the one who played for Perth Spirit.

I remember him as the clubber bouncer in Claremont, and playing beach touch rugby with him at Cott. What a step he has!

And also at one of the Singapore Sevens competitions, he was involved in a rather embarrassing incident on the field on a very rainy day.

Champion
    vCash
    Yeah he was the one who played wing for the spirit.. didn't use his size all that well for the spirit (my thoughts only)

looks like he's done well for himself since leaving WA

vCash
    He was playing at Paly wasn't he Fulvio?

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    I thought he was the same bloke and was going to post the article earlier but the Perth Spirit website has him with a different last name then the article, wierd.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I thought he was the same bloke and was going to post the article earlier but the Perth Spirit website has him with a different last name then the article, wierd.
    Yeah for the Spirit I think they didn't put the Na on the front of his name but I'm pretty sure its the same guy. Either that or a huge coincidence.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yeah for the Spirit I think they didn't put the Na on the front of his name but I'm pretty sure its the same guy. Either that or a huge coincidence.
    That'd make sense...let's steal him back!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes, he played a handful of games for us and toured to Singapore with us on I think two occasions.

I picked him as a potential future Wallaby 18 months ago, and despite a spell of bad luck and poor judgment on his part last year he is well on the way to proving me right. Good luck kid. And you still owe me $20.

vCash
    He's playing for the under 20's in Wales next month. Apart from Koowade, that's one hell of a 'junior' team.

vCash
    Young ‘Lomu’ in Aussie-Fiji tug of war

A 20-year-old rugby player compared to All Blacks great Jonah Lomu has become the subject of a tug of war between his native Fiji and adopted country Australia.

The Fiji Times newspaper reported Monday that Fiji-born Ratu Nasiganiyavi, the son of former Fiji international Isei Nasiganiyavi and the cousin of Australian winger Lote Tuqiri...

Read More..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Yes, he played a handful of games for us and toured to Singapore with us on I think two occasions.
    I remembered playing in Singapore in one of the competitions that Ratu was there for. A very very wet and rainy day, and the field was flooded, making the game a big joke. And such, a big inflated rugby shaped balloon ball came out, and was thrown around. Ratu came out of nowhere, stark naked, and crash tackled the player carrying the ball, picking it up and running to the try line. It was hilarious from my point of view, but i dont think some of the officials were too happy about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby View Post
    He's playing for the under 20's in Wales next month. Apart from Koowade, that's one hell of a 'junior' team.
    well lets just hope the Beale isnt the goalkicker in the team..

vCash
    good luck to him

would the be looking to sign him up in future or is he already in the academy??

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    He was in the Academy and got himself fired.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast