Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AFL Wants ANZ Stadium

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Regarding the NRL situation, if I was in charge of the ARU (I refuse to phrase it, if I was JO'N ) I would be putting every available resource in to Western Sydney for the next couple of seasons to scoop a generation of talent back off NRL.
    They are in such a state that a couple more down years and they will lose up to four Clubs.
    Leading sports brains say there will be only three codes in twenty to thirty years and the reality is that it will be League or Rugby to go if that is accurate.
    Especially with continued immigration and continued namby pamby mothers, the round ball is here for ever and likewise AFL has such a huge position in the Australian landscape that any downturn in that code will be much further down the track than twenty to thirty years.
    Viva la Union!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The AFL thinks it will get a team into Western Sydney, even though the Sydney Swans are on the "competive grants" handout list to the tune of roughly $1.4 million alledgedly

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It (the AFL relocation move) will probably fail, however putting a national team in is far different than getting development in to enhance the existing Union Clubs depth.
    One is a marketing exercise with some recruiting spin off, the other is a recruiting exercise with major development benefits for the wider sport.
    Imagine Australian Rugby if all of the League players of all ages were currently (and had grown up) playing Union.
    We would easily have five Super sides, have a hugely competitive Sydney and Brisbane Club comp and would probably have had Country sides from NSW and Qld in the APC as well as the ones that were already there.
    And the Wallaby selectors would five or more genuine contenders for every position.
    Stay tuned for circa 2020, you never know!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    We would easily have five Super sides, have a hugely competitive Sydney and Brisbane Club comp and would probably have had Country sides from NSW and Qld in the APC as well as the ones that were already there.
    And the Wallaby selectors would five or more genuine contenders for every position.
    Stay tuned for circa 2020, you never know!
    I live in hope Burgs. That the ELV's are mostly adopted adopted. That the NRL & ARL realise that Alec Evans & Wayne Bennett were on the money with regards to a common approach to junior development. And that they both realise that the only way forward for the two Rugby's in the pro era is eventually together. They'd have a vibrant national club comp that runs a full season and the best Super Rugby franchises in the world. David Gallop is already saying that the only way a lot of NRL clubs will survive is by merging. He just needs to make the leap that they need to merge with Rugby Clubs.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    the Swans get a 'higher cost of living' allowance which is rounghly around $1million more they can spend on there salary cap..

vCash
    those salery cap exemptions for both Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions were scrapped a couple of years ago

Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    those salery cap exemptions for both Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions were scrapped a couple of years ago

Posted via Mobile Device
    no they werent, whilst brisbane lost theres salary cap exemption completely, Sydney only had theres reduced, i think its actually closer to $300k/year these days.

vCash
    you may be right, i know that Brisabne had it scrapped all together, i thought that Sydney had their fazed out??

I know that Eddie Macguire was most vocal on scrapping the salery cap exemptions all together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

I know that Eddie Macguire was most vocal on scrapping the salery cap exemptions all together
    I'd love hear his take on the draft concessions the AFL are considering for the mooted Western Sydney team.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Who gives stuff about Eddie Everywhere anyway?? He is just like the AFL, conviced of his own importance to life, but in reality a knob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2