Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Posting articles from other websites

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Exclamation Posting articles from other websites

Part of the registration process to become a member of TWF was to read and agree to a set of rules.

Following a call from PerthNow Sports Editor, Maxine Brown - I would like to draw your attention to this snippet of the forum rules which you all agreed to:

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules
    When posting in the forums please refrain from posting non-original articles in their entirety rather post a summary with a link to the source web site, or the name of the publication the article was taken from.
    Firstly - no, I am not in trouble (not yet at least) and Maxine was lovely to speak with and very reasonable on the phone.

When posting articles from other sources to which you do not have rights or permissions to duplicate in full - especially local sources whom we love and support - please only post a portion of the article, and provide a link which readers may follow to read the complete article.

As we all know, Cameron Shepherd has been knocking up some prose for PerthNow this season. Then PerthNow 'powers that be' check their web logs to see how popular Cam's articles have been. Lo and behold, no one is reading them as they all come to the font of all that is Rugby in Western Australia, nay Australia and read them here. End result, Cam gets sacked! No more Cam's Column for anyone.

So, when posting an article - just the first couple paragraphs or enough to get peoples interest. When replying, you can quote relevant portions of the original article in your post, just no copying articles in their entirety.

When you do post article abstracts from other sites, please try and use the following format.

Use the article title as the thread title - copy the first couple paragraphs or if you feel inclined and abstract of the article with no dates, times, authors, links or images - just the text.

At the foot of the post paste the URL to the original article - preferably with the text "Read More..." as the link (which can be achieved by wrapping the url in URL tags - eg. [URL=http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23740963-5005401,00.html]Read More...[/URL] but for those that may find this a challenge - just the URL is fine!

I've edited the latest Cams Column article as an example here:http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=16714

Many thanks, as you were!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Noted Coach.

vCash
    Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger and a whole host of other words that shouldn't be used on a public forum.

I put my hand up as someone regularly guilty of this- I'm really sorry for causing any grief, and particularly in regards to cancelling Cam's column, cos I reckon it's a great read and I'll miss it if it doesn't reappear in some form next year.

Thanks for the reminder on the forum rules Coach- will be more vigilant.

bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger.......

vCash
    No worries Swee - your punishment is that I've used your last Cam's Column post as an example of how we should post such articles - over here: http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=16714

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No worries Coach. The only problem I find with some of the news paper articles is that in 12 months time they take them down from that link and the article is lost forever

Least with posting the full article and especially the fine calibre of Cams Column it is held here in trust in perpetuity.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Sorry Coach

Tho I must admit - when I have been guilty of this - i have always first posted a link to where I got the article from. Still no excuse. I am guilty

Sorry Coach

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    You can have some fun with it though:

Greek Ambassador to Ankara Fotios Xydas said on Wednesday that he was a f...

Read More...

vCash
    This is like being a priest, we're hearing everyone confess their sins. I've always have prefered that the link gets posted. That way if you don't have to read or scroll through the entire article to get to the tahs rock posts.

Thanks for reminding us of the rules Dad. Sometimes as kids we forget these things.

Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Why reproduce someone else's bulldust when you can make up your own?

After a couple of minutes practice you can become a political correspondent with the Sunday times or the West.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Why reproduce someone else's bulldust when you can make up your own?

After a couple of minutes practice you can become a political correspondent with the Sunday times or the West.
    You don't even need that for the SMH. Supply your own pen or pencil and you're in.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Sorry Coach.

50 push ups for me before the next post.

vCash
    this was always going to happen but at least it was a nice website that complained and coach proabably wont get into any shit.

vCash
    And while I'm in a truculent frame of mind, how pathetic is it that a newspaper with a state wide distribution should be concerned about a bloggers' site reproducing one of its rare and generally substandard rugby articles once in a very blue moon. We are hardly serial offenders. And it's hardly the publication one would rush to to find out about what is happening in the rugby world is it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    No worries Coach. The only problem I find with some of the news paper articles is that in 12 months time they take them down from that link and the article is lost forever

Least with posting the full article and especially the fine calibre of Cams Column it is held here in trust in perpetuity.
    I've been asked to pass on thanks and to let you know that as a direct result of this feedback, all Rugby related stories appearing on the PerthNow website will have a 5 year shelf life.

(However I'm pretty sure that the 'thanks' bit probably doesn't apply quite so much to you , Fulvio )

vCash
    And another thing. A female sports' editor? Does red go faster than blue?

And I'm only just warming up....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast