Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super 14 expansion to start with finals

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Super 14 expansion to start with finals

Super 14 expansion to start with finals

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | May 22, 2008

THE proposed expansion of the Super 14 to a 26-week tournament will be delayed until at least 2010, but the first step - a six-team finals series - is set to begin next season.

Australian Rugby Union chief executive and SANZAR board member John O'Neill said yesterday that there was probably too little time for a revamped Super 14 including extra rounds, more local derbies and new teams to be put in place by next year.

However, SANZAR had taken notice of the groundswell of support from coaches that the finals series should be expanded from four teams as of 2009.

"There may be an opportunity to expand the finals series next year," O'Neill said. "That hasn't been ruled out, and it's still a possibility. But the major structural change [to the Super 14] will occur in 2010 and beyond."

O'Neill also revealed:

* Auckland Blues coach David Nucifora would be the ARU's next high-performance unit manager, but family issues were delaying an official announcement;
    * The ARU had no interest in signing league star Sonny Bill Williams;
    * South Africa and Australia would have to convince New Zealand that the experimental law variations used in the Super 14 should also be used in the Tri Nations. New Zealand instead wanted to adopt the full list of ELVs, which the International Rugby Board is trialling from August 1.

On Nucifora, O'Neill explained the ARU had "settled on him" as Pat Howard's successor and that he would live in Sydney.

"Subject to finalising the schooling for his three children, David will take up the position in June," O'Neill said. "His plans had been to return to Brisbane, where his children had been booked into school. We are now finding how difficult it is to get kids into Sydney schools midway during the year. But we're confident we'll get them placed."

And it seems Nucifora, unlike some of his HPU predecessors, will not be involved in attracting high-profile league players, despite speculation Williams and Mark Gasnier were considering changing codes.

"Australian rugby doesn't have any current interest in any rugby league players," O'Neill said. "Our plans are not to go down that path. We have a lot of good young kids coming through the ranks, and our development pathways are a lot better than what they were ... If we're going to concentrate our talent scouts anywhere, it will be on the under-20 competition. We're moving away from that top end of the market and concentrating on getting in a bit earlier."

O'Neill said it was still uncertain which laws would be used in this year's Tri Nations. "South Africa and Australia want the Super 14 ELVs used, and we're hoping to persuade New Zealand that's the right path to go down ... hopefully the weight of opinion will convince them that, for consistency's sake, we should be using the Super 14 ELVs."

He also had pointed words about the Waratahs coaching fiasco. "I don't think there's room for any applause for anyone at the moment," he said. "If you were Dan Vickerman or Phil Waugh and you had all your efforts and concentration on the Super 14 finals, I don't think all the speculation about the NSW coaching position is helpful."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...182896808.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Still looks like a rehash, where is the quotes from SANZAR?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Wow - does this mean Grumbles actually did a real interview with a real live person, rather then a back of the carpark meeting with all the lights off unnamed sauces throw names at a dartboard what can we pin on that mob from the West this week.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    An expanded final - that'll be the Forces fault!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think if I was the Principal of a GPS School I would be able to find a little bit of room for the children of the new ARU HPU Manager!
    Come live in Perth David, I'm sure there could be some spots found for your kids at Scotch!!!
    You can have Beavers for one...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Wow - does this mean Grumbles actually did a real interview with a real live person, rather then a back of the carpark meeting with all the lights off unnamed sauces throw names at a dartboard what can we pin on that mob from the West this week.

It does look that way. But I'm not sure how much of this is actually true. How many times now has O'Neill shot his mouth off and then 10 minutes later we find an article where the head of New Zeland or South Africa Rugby Union is saying something completely different?

vCash
    An actual interview, I doubt it- alot of this stuff is being run in all the papers today from stuff distributed by AAP yesterday- I think J O'N just had a press conference yesterday that covered a few of these things- the only issues I hadn't read about already (and I haven't read today's papers yet) were the finals expansion and what ELVs will be used for the Tri-Nations.
    I'm sure he's saving the west bashing for when the Tahs choke- THAT'LL be our fault for sure.

vCash
    I read something the other day out of NZ regarding an expanded finals for next year.

John O seems to be keeping his head down regarding super 14 expansion at the moment and is letting the NZRFU run with it - most news seems to be coming out of there - primarily as it also entails a revamp of the NPC

Jasper

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    I'm sure he's saving the west bashing for when the Tahs choke- THAT'LL be our fault for sure.
    Yeah, I think you'll find that the Force discussing contract with Valentine has disrupted the Tahs preparation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Yeah, I think you'll find that the Force discussing contract with Valentine has disrupted the Tahs preparation.

Can we get a book on how the Tahs losing is the Force's fault??

vCash
    You guys just love to be the victim heh?

Is this not a story about expanding the Super 14 finals - one which you should be very positive about as there's a high possibility that you'll place 5th or 6th next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Is this not a story about expanding the Super 14 finals - one which you should be very positive about as there's a high possibility that you'll place 5th or 6th next year?
    With the Tahs 7th?

vCash
    or 2nd

vCash
    You guys just love to be the victim heh?
    Well it's pretty easy to be the victim when every 2nd word that comes out of the east coast is just biased dribble. Do you think we enjoy having to complain about it? Believe me, I'd rather be talking about the Force, and Rugby in general, than coming in here week after week discussing the latest piece of crap that some so called journalist has written.

Anyways

I am very pleased about this if it does in fact happen. This would be great news for all the teams not named Crusaders, Lions or Cheetahs.

vCash
    I'm not a fan of widening the finals berths to 6 teams.....that's just rewarding mediocrity (just like gayfl & mungo-ball).

Also, given the number of injuries that Super14 teams experience during the current 13-game season has any thought been given to the stress on these young players' bodies that a 26-game season will cause.

Finally, what about the stress on the supporters' bodies (double the bowlo sessions) and wallets?!?!

Keep it exclusive & don't change what isn't broken.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast