Thread: ARU not interested in league stars

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

ARU not interested in league stars

ARU not interested in league stars
    Wednesday, 21 May 2008
    ARU not interested in league stars - Rugby news & coverage - Stuff.co.nz

Australian Rugby Union chief John O'Neill says the ARU has no interest in trying to entice rugby league superstars Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier to switch codes.

However he has foreshadowed possible raids on the NRL's new under-20 competition.

While admitting both Williams and Gasnier would be "sensational" rugby players, O'Neill said the ARU was more intent on investing in younger talent than competing against the cashed-up European clubs already vigorously pursuing that high profile pair.

"We're just not interested in them, full stop," O'Neill said.

"It's not about affordability. It's about concentrating our own investment dollars in our own backyard.

"One of their (the NRL's) initiatives that I really applaud is their under-20 competition and, if we're going to concentrate our talent scouts anywhere, it will be on the under-20 competition.

"(That is) really what's been happening for years between the two codes.

"I think the earlier you can pick up talent ... where the skills in rugby league and rugby union are very similar, we're moving away from that top end of the market and concentrating on getting in a bit earlier."

O'Neill admitted there was merit in union signing high-calibre league players, but suggested it was not really viable given the ARU's current financial position.

The ARU last month announced a worrying $8.4 million loss for the 2007 calendar year and, in a watershed moment for professional rugby, invited private investors to buy shares in the four Australian Super 14 clubs.

"We saw considerable benefits come out of (high profile converts) Wendell (Sailor), Lote Tuqiri - we're still seeing benefits out of Lote; he's having a great year - and Mat Rogers, but the investment dollars are now going back into the game," O'Neill said.

"I saw (NRL boss) David Gallop this morning say that a number of rugby league clubs in Sydney are under the pump financially.

"And we've announced recently that we're introducing private equity. Look, we're in the same market. We're not the same size sport as rugby league or AFL, but certainly we suffer from the same pressures.

"So our available investment dollars are going back into grassroots and growing our own talent."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Flamethrower; 21-05-08 at 14:28. Reason: To make Swee happy
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    About time

vCash
    Hmm.... not sure what the constant references to investment "US" dollars are about- especially since the same AAP article appears on the SMH without the "US" bit... crazy Kiwis.

Thank goodness it looks like they've got over this throwing money at ex-Leaguies idea- you can probably count on one hand the number of high profile signings that have worked out the benefit of the code.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Hmm.... not sure what the constant references to investment "US" dollars are about- especially since the same AAP article appears on the SMH without the "US" bit... crazy Kiwis.
    The newscorp contract is paid in US dollars.

The Kiwis are right, SMH are dumb, same old same old.

vCash
    Sorry.. probly just me... it just sounded like "look at us.. we have US dollars" which would be an odd thing to purposely draw attention to any time and even moreso at the moment when the AUD is fast approaching parity with the greenback, so I had to check whether JO'N had actually managed to say "Investment US Dollars" three times in one media release.

Edit: Sorry guys, I wasn't picking, I just found it an unusual turn of phrase... I promise to shut up in future

Last edited by Swee_82; 21-05-08 at 14:47.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Is that better Swee??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Sorry.. probly just me... it just sounded like "look at us.. we have US dollars" which would be an odd thing to purposely draw attention to any time and even moreso at the moment when the AUD is fast approaching parity with the greenback, so I had to check whether JO'N had actually managed to say "Investment US Dollars" in one media release.
    Well the fact is the investment would be in US dollars as that is what they are paid in to the ARU, what they change it to, or if they change it at all is of little consequence....

Next contract must be in pounds, the greatest currency in the world! Not like the fickle US dollar, Bush ruined the economy just to spite SANZAR, I'm sure of it!

vCash
    i wouldnt say this is going to be completley benificial to australian rugby though...
    if this is done right, the main focus will be on club rugby. young fellas who exell in their competitions are going to be much more accessable to scouts and such now, as there is more money to spend on them.

but to develop these young players to a level at which they are to be offered an ARU and/or a super14s contract. there is only one solution. WE NEED A THIRD TIER COMPETITION! and there isnt any way around it.
    players need a season or so in a semi pro leauge to further develop skills. say a utility back in club rugby is only playing those posistions because his club team cannot cover every spot with dedicated players.
    this utility back could be a kickass 12 or 13, who knows. but the skills need time to develop in a situation where they are only playing the one posistion.

in effect they're just talking out of their arses and saying that the under20's leauge comp is going to be raided hevaily every year until someone gets their act together and re-organises a workable, and financially benificial third tier competition.
    which means, we are STILL going to loose potential wallabies to europe and asia, due to the aforementioned points.

so yeah i would agree with you moses that its about time. but as it stands, players are going to go straight from club rugby to either aus 7s, australia A, a super 14s team or do a gits and go straight to the wallabies.
    how is this going to be fiesable in the long run?
    how are (potentially 16 and 17 year old) players going to go from a club competion, where they train 2-3 times a week and still work; to fulltime employment in a team situation?

i highlight this quote for my argument

"I think the earlier you can pick up talent ... where the skills in rugby league and rugby union are very similar, we're moving away from that top end of the market and concentrating on getting in a bit earlier."
    unless hes going to scout 8 year olds and create academies all over the country, how can we NOT have a third tier competition?

vCash
    I think there is a post on 'TheRoar' or one of the various places I read that highlights the fact that the NZRU may be forced to make the NPC a semi pro comp, as they can't afford it otherwise...considering rugby in Australia is probably going to be even more marginalised with the push of AFL and the A League into Australia don't be fooled in thinking if the NZRU can't keep a pro national comp going when it is thier number 1 sport that rugby can keep one up with it being thier number 4 sport, adding the additional costs as well.

I think this is where O'Neill would be coming from, we don't have the mindless masses of AFL or the media run system of rugby league or even the possibilities that A League offers....it's not economical to have a nation wide competition getting 5k max to games, it would have only been economical on the turn of the decade when the Wallabies were at thier peak, we missed our chance for a successful provincial competition.

Enough of playing the Devils advocate.

vCash
    Its about bloody time they woke up, we have a abundance of young players coming through the ranks in our own code with out going to the league code any of the ones that have made the transition successfully are the ones that played Union in their past lives. And thats why we have two codes as they don't bloody mix.